German Football Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Until that goal was scored tbh, Pulisic was doing more than Phillip. I thought Phillip and Toljan kept sending in bad balls or ones that were blocked (in fairness Elvedi is a good RB) while I appreciated Pulisic's ability to constantly take players on one-on-one.

Also, he was more effective in the past couple games I think where he was playing more on the left iirc.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Until that goal was scored tbh, Pulisic was doing more than Phillip. I thought Phillip and Toljan kept sending in bad balls or ones that were blocked (in fairness Elvedi is a good RB) while I appreciated Pulisic's ability to constantly take players on one-on-one.

Also, he was more effective in the past couple games I think where he was playing more on the left iirc.

uh, Philipp's job isn't to take people on one on one though, and it isn't such an indispensable or otherwise rare skill for Dortmund that they need both wide attackers to do it.

Pulisic almost always plays on the right unless Yarmolenko is also playing. I don't think he was particularly good vs Hamburg, and the goal he scored came after Yarmolenko was subbed off and he had moved to the right side. At the moment I'd prefer Yarmolenko to Pulisic and I'd prefer Philipp-Yarmolenko to Pulisic-Yarmolenko vs. Madrid. Pulisic can come on as a sub; he is well-suited for that.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
And now something that hasn't anything to do with Dortmund:

Hannover vs. Cologne.

Second best defence vs. worst offence. Might be a high scoring game this afternoon :sarcasm:. I'm hoping for a good result for Hannover, of course.

Leverkusen vs. Hamburg

Actually 15th vs. 14th. Both need the points. I'd think Leverkusen somehow wins this.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hamburg's composure on the ball is terrible, actually pretty bad game all around despite the 2 Bayer goals.

And Koln have only scored once in 6 games and conceded the most as well despite the clean sheet today, really pathetic. At least Bremen have the excuse of an injured striker and Freiburg a weak squad.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Julian Brandt skill/pass leads to that goal by Volland, honestly I dunno why him and Bellarabi aren't always starters for Leverkusen they're clearly the two most dangerous players.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Alario:handclap:

Julian Brandt skill/pass leads to that goal by Volland, honestly I dunno why him and Bellarabi aren't always starters for Leverkusen they're clearly the two most dangerous players.

They both are very inconsistent, waste a lot of possessions and Brandt is also poor defensively. Both fast skilled players that do well when they have a lot of room and both tend to struggle against teams that park the bus.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
uh, Philipp's job isn't to take people on one on one though, and it isn't such an indispensable or otherwise rare skill for Dortmund that they need both wide attackers to do it.

Pulisic almost always plays on the right unless Yarmolenko is also playing. I don't think he was particularly good vs Hamburg, and the goal he scored came after Yarmolenko was subbed off and he had moved to the right side. At the moment I'd prefer Yarmolenko to Pulisic and I'd prefer Philipp-Yarmolenko to Pulisic-Yarmolenko vs. Madrid. Pulisic can come on as a sub; he is well-suited for that.

I think its good that we have three good options right now, but I don't think you fool around in such an important match against Real Madrid, especially considering how well Pulisic has done in being the team's main creative force this season. Yarmolenko and Pulisic don't really play all that similar though, I think Philipp still comes off the bench. I like what he brings to the team, but its a smaller offensive contribution than Pulisic and Yarmolenko, other than scoring goals.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Congrats to Bayer and Heiko Herrlich. This one was important to calm Wild Rudi Völler down.:laugh:

As for HSV: Nothing new on the northern front. Same as it ever was.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Alario:handclap:

They both are very inconsistent, waste a lot of possessions and Brandt is also poor defensively. Both fast skilled players that do well when they have a lot of room and both tend to struggle against teams that park the bus.

Brandt is clever enough to do well vs parked buses. Probably more Leverkusen's problem as a whole.

I think its good that we have three good options right now, but I don't think you fool around in such an important match against Real Madrid, especially considering how well Pulisic has done in being the team's main creative force this season. Yarmolenko and Pulisic don't really play all that similar though, I think Philipp still comes off the bench. I like what he brings to the team, but its a smaller offensive contribution than Pulisic and Yarmolenko, other than scoring goals.

What

Pulisic hasn't played well with Yarmolenko in the small sample we have so far. If anything is "fooling around in such an important match", it's trying them out together again.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What

Pulisic hasn't played well with Yarmolenko in the small sample we have so far. If anything is "fooling around in such an important match", it's trying them out together again.

If Pulisic isn't on the field, this team lacks players to create scoring chances, they will have to come from centrally. Thats especially important against Madrid. I think Philipp's skill-set is less valuable against Real Madrid as there are fewer chances and less space. Yarmo has surprisingly contributed some assists early on, but his game is more of a power goal scoring winger with a great shot. I don't really see him as a great playmaker. Philipp is more of a poaching winger, so that will put greater emphasis on Goetze and Dahoud, might even be Castro instead of Dahoud, for all we know to create chances. I don't know, I personally just don't see that as a wise strategy. I think we'll struggle to create attacking chances in that type of game. I'm glad Philipp was clinical against Gladbach, but I don't think what happens in that match should decide Wednesday's lineup. I don't see Philipp as a starter for this team in the big matches.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
If Pulisic isn't on the field, this team lacks players to create scoring chances, they will have to come from centrally. Thats especially important against Madrid. I think Philipp's skill-set is less valuable against Real Madrid as there are fewer chances and less space. Yarmo has surprisingly contributed some assists early on, but his game is more of a power goal scoring winger with a great shot. I don't really see him as a great playmaker. Philipp is more of a poaching winger, so that will put greater emphasis on Goetze and Dahoud, might even be Castro instead of Dahoud, for all we know to create chances. I don't know, I personally just don't see that as a wise strategy. I think we'll struggle to create attacking chances in that type of game. I'm glad Philipp was clinical against Gladbach, but I don't think what happens in that match should decide Wednesday's lineup. I don't see Philipp as a starter for this team in the big matches.

Creating chances centrally? Imagine that.

Pulisic isn't as creative as you think. Good dribbler and good at starting combinations, but often too linear and not overly clever. Other players like Dahoud are more creative. Yarmolenko became more of a playmaker late in his career and is well-rounded at this point. Dembele too came to Dortmund as more of a goal scorer, and ended up as more of an assist man.

I don't think they'll struggle to create chances or lack space against Madrid. They didn't last year. The problem is they'll probably give up more goals on the other end.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Was just checkign some stats and Hertha Berlin have had the least number of total shots (44) but the highest shot accuracy % (meaning on net) at 56%. They also rank last in chances created, lowest number of key passes, and tied for 11th in possession.

Freiburg are basically the worse team in terms of underlying numbers aside from that. Koln are around mid-table in terms of posession, chances created, and shots but have the worse goal conversion obviously.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Nagelsmann sitting nervously next to his phone right now.

I also love how a pretty recently even the German sports media hyped up German football to be at the top of the world and the German league to be the top league and all that. Now that it seems like they're all losing in Europe, the Welt runs an article saying "What's wrong with German football?". Hacks.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ It doesn't help that Koln are absolutely awful. The other issue is that whole 50+1 rule Germans are so proud of. Cheaper tickets yes but the league ends up being weaker in the long-run. Tbh I don't give a shit about it it will fix itself over time.

I'm personally disappointed in Tuchel being the likely replacement. If he is then hopefully it's just for this season. He's an upgrade on Ancelotti but I don't have a high opinion of him beyond that. Nagelsmann wouldn't move till next summer I'd assume.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The other issue is that whole 50+1 rule Germans are so proud of. Cheaper tickets yes but the league ends up being weaker in the long-run. Tbh I don't give a shit about it it will fix itself over time.
And Germans don't give a shit about short-term international success when it means their club gets taken over by some billionair, or by some corporation, which may not even help make the club more successful, but looks to make money off it, downgrading them from actual club owners to customers. Every reason to be proud of sticking to that.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Kinda disappointed how Ancelotti & FCB worked out. Before last season, I thought he'd be a good fit and will get along with star players. Little bit more than a year later and he's gone after getting whacked in the CL. Guess Tuchel and Hoeness wouldn't get along very well, so my bet is on Nagelsmann as new coach next season. Wouldn't mind Willy Sagnol taking over aswell if he's able to get things together, good chance for him after his departure in Bordeaux.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Kinda disappointed how Ancelotti & FCB worked out. Before last season, I thought he'd be a good fit and will get along with star players. Little bit more than a year later and he's gone after getting whacked in the CL. Guess Tuchel and Hoeness wouldn't get along very well, so my bet is on Nagelsmann as new coach next season. Wouldn't mind Willy Sagnol taking over aswell if he's able to get things together, good chance for him after his departure in Bordeaux.

I think Uli already confirmed Willy is only going to be head coach for the Berlin game and they'll present the successor during the international break. I think Uli will go for another round of golf with Dietmar Hopp, have a chat over a glass of Grauburgunder, and if they don't come to an understanding on Nagelsmann, we'll see Tuchel next.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I think Uli already confirmed Willy is only going to be head coach for the Berlin game and they'll present the successor during the international break. I think Uli will go for another round of golf with Dietmar Hopp, have a chat over a glass of Grauburgunder, and if they don't come to an understanding on Nagelsmann, we'll see Tuchel next.
Ah ok, didn't read anything about their plans for coaching position. Yeah, Uli having a glass of whine and making Bayern business is certainly possible, Nagelsmann could be a good fit on Bayerns bench. On the other hand, that's what I thought about the appointment of Ancelotti aswell. :dunno:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Ah ok, didn't read anything about their plans for coaching position. Yeah, Uli having a glass of whine and making Bayern business is certainly possible, Nagelsmann could be a good fit on Bayerns bench. On the other hand, that's what I thought about the appointment of Ancelotti aswell. :dunno:

Yeah, I was optimistic about him, as well. I loved Pep, and was sure we wouldn't get the same kind of dominant performances overall moving on, but everybody raved about Carlo's man-management skills, and how that could help guys after the demanding work with Pep. Interestingly, just about all the players were sad when Pep left, while Carlo completely lost the room a month into his second season (five guys talking to management, by my second-hand sources being Robben, Ribery, Hummels, Boateng and Coman, expressing concerns about how the level and intensity of the practises aren't up to par for a top club). Reports from yesterday's game is that he came into the locker room before the game with only a piece of paper with the starting team on it, pinned it to a wall, and left without saying anything. We'll see whether the rumor about the big offer from China comes to fruition, but that would seem like he basically dared people to get on with it and fire him.

But moving forward - the reason I'd be happy with either Tuchel or Nagelsmann is that they're dynamic, energetic scholars of the game and perfectionists. I'd have to believe Carlo had more to offer tactically than what he said publicly, but when your team looks so tactically inept, I can't stand hearing about how "tactics, strategy or player's positions" are "too difficult", and that "football is simpler than that". I can live with a personality that's a little hard to deal with sometimes - and ultimately, so can the players, as long as they can see he helps them to become better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad