Player Discussion Gerard Gallant

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I get your point, but if you watched Hughes his rookie season, you could see the talent was there. He looked like a 1st overall pick, but just needed time to figure it out. Laf on the other hand struggled mightily and his talent level was put into question quite frequently.
Hughes has elite skating and puck handling. It was always about if he was strong enough.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Watching Boston a little bit yesterday made me giggle.

They won the defensive zone faceoff.... and get this... They kept possession with proper puck support and movement.... MIND BLOWN. They were able to transition cleanly into the opponents O-Zone. Every player knew where they had to be and what was happening. There's a protocol and plan in place.... imagine that.

We win a defensive faceoff and it's an immediate dump off the boards and give up possession because we have no clue what is happening.

THIS IS ALL COACHING. X's AND O'S.

Sure, Gallant is not a tactician. He needs someone who is. I don't care if we have 5 assistant coaches... there's no cap on management. Bring in people who understand modern day hockey tactics...

P.S. this Powerplay setup is horrendous. Go back to the 1-3-1. Panarin, Zibs and Kane MUST SHOOT.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Watching Boston a little bit yesterday made me giggle.

They won the defensive zone faceoff.... and get this... They kept possession with proper puck support and movement.... MIND BLOWN. They were able to transition cleanly into the opponents O-Zone. Every player knew where they had to be and what was happening. There's a protocol and plan in place.... imagine that.

We win a defensive faceoff and it's an immediate dump off the boards and give up possession because we have no clue what is happening.

THIS IS ALL COACHING. X's AND O'S.

Sure, Gallant is not a tactician. He needs someone who is. I don't care if we have 5 assistant coaches... there's no cap on management. Bring in people who understand modern day hockey tactics...

P.S. this Powerplay setup is horrendous. Go back to the 1-3-1. Panarin, Zibs and Kane MUST SHOOT.

This is huerter going after Gallant, pleading to use THE TEMPLATE.

• Love
Reactions: tlk and duhmetreE

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Concern right now with this team is the fact they like to play with the puck in the NZ and aren't usually focused on puck past red means deep if there are no options. Unsure if that is solely about the player makeup or also bc the forwards generally lack speed and cant recover chips or dumps. The concern comes into where they are usually methodical trying to pass their way through the NZ and rarely focus on how to slow other teams with speed through the NZ. In the playoffs last year we did a decent job starting to close space and obstruct in the NZ without interfering by using smarter body positioning and not allowing opponents as much space to windup and get their speed going. I have concerns about the top 6 this year being able to close those gaps and cut the opponents speed down and have really seen nothing tactical that would suggest there is a plan on how to do so in the playoffs. The devils very well may skate nyr out of it in the 1st round if the staff cant figure out how to do this. Also I have to imagine that miller will be the player they want on the ice against hughes since he is the best d man we have that can skate with him and has a reach to manage him. unfortunately his brother stepping in may give them another option on the backend for offense if he can acclimate quickly and not be a liability. This is going to be a very tough matchup that WILL require Turk and the staff to actively coach as opposed to just rolling lines...

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Concern right now with this team is the fact they like to play with the puck in the NZ and aren't usually focused on puck past red means deep if there are no options. Unsure if that is solely about the player makeup or also bc the forwards generally lack speed and cant recover chips or dumps. The concern comes into where they are usually methodical trying to pass their way through the NZ and rarely focus on how to slow other teams with speed through the NZ. In the playoffs last year we did a decent job starting to close space and obstruct in the NZ without interfering by using smarter body positioning and not allowing opponents as much space to windup and get their speed going. I have concerns about the top 6 this year being able to close those gaps and cut the opponents speed down and have really seen nothing tactical that would suggest there is a plan on how to do so in the playoffs. The devils very well may skate nyr out of it in the 1st round if the staff cant figure out how to do this. Also I have to imagine that miller will be the player they want on the ice against hughes since he is the best d man we have that can skate with him and has a reach to manage him. unfortunately his brother stepping in may give them another option on the backend for offense if he can acclimate quickly and not be a liability. This is going to be a very tough matchup that WILL require Turk and the staff to actively coach as opposed to just rolling lines...
So heres the thing about playing with the puck in the neutral zone.
If you do it without turning the puck over, its actually better than dumping the puck in.

Thats why one of the best advanced stats is zone entries with control.

Theres at least one player on each line who has the ability to push through the neutral zone with full control in our top 9. all 3 kids can do it.
The devils have a solid top 6, but their bottom 6 is going to struggle.
Also while theyve got alot of speed, they arent a physical team, and I wonder how they'll handle that aspect of the playoffs.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So heres the thing about playing with the puck in the neutral zone.
If you do it without turning the puck over, its actually better than dumping the puck in.

Thats why one of the best advanced stats is zone entries with control.

Theres at least one player on each line who has the ability to push through the neutral zone with full control in our top 9. all 3 kids can do it.
The devils have a solid top 6, but their bottom 6 is going to struggle.
Also while theyve got alot of speed, they arent a physical team, and I wonder how they'll handle that aspect of the playoffs.
What we can do and what we actually do aren't the same thing though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At this point, I think the worst things about him are things every coach sucks at.

I don't think anyone else would really be better.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I remember Ruff and Gallant being very similar players.

I was a little kid, though.
Both were tough and good defensively but after that I think most of the similarities end. GG was one of the best LW in the league. A legit allstar. Ruff was not really at his level. Lindy did play both wing and defense. I did not see him often as a Sabre but he played for us as well.

Reactions: leetch99

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
If we go out in 6 after being up 2-0 again, he’s got to go. That’s just inexcusable.
All I want is for the team to take steps forward every season. Even though we overachieved last season, this season was still a net step back.

Reactions: Kodiak

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Saw nothing in the post-game that tells me the magnitude of the 3 game losing streak has sunk through this dickhead’s skull…..

Reactions: yrrebbor

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
He's not adjusting anything and thinks switching two players constitutes an adjustment.

Devils continue to ride Hischier, Hughes, and other top forwards almost 20 mins a game.

This guy insists on rotating 4 lines like it's a f***ing regular season matinee with Columbus. Continues to ride the completely ineffective PP1 and won't move Kane out of that spot just because hur durr Kane, even though the best the PP has looked in the last 3 months was with Tarasenko in that spot (twice, but he still won't go back to it unless Kane doesn't play, or the stretch of games where Kane hadn't gotten here yet).

Continues to do dumb shit like give the 4th line offensive zone starts, let 20-93-88 start every game despite doing nothing at even strength, let Chytil take PP2 faceoffs, and give Panarin D zone starts. After the awful showing in games 3 and 4, the morning skate was "optional." Pulling the goalie with 5 mins left was moronic.

While the effort on the ice has not been great, this team is being outcoached so hard it's not even funny. This is not the regular season, stop coaching like it is.

Last edited:

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
He seems to thrive more when he has a group with zero to low expectations but once they go up down goes the results

Might have something to do with the personalities/player types on those teams but doesn’t excuse him

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Lindy Ruff couldn't be run out of NY fast enough and he was just an assistant. Now his team has won three straight and have the Rangers on the brink. You can't make this stuff up. Every time we crap on a coach or a player, say they're not good enough to be on NYR, they come back to shove it up our ass. Every. Freaking. Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad