WC: Finland 2024 roster talk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What's this NHL 4-team tournament you're referring to BTW? I've been busy and have missed some news lately.

Instead of the all-star event, the NHL will organize an international best-on-best mini-tournament in February 2025 that features Canada, Finland, Sweden and USA.

---

Interesting that they took Helenius back. Not that I'm complaining, but his performance in the U18s was somewhat lackluster, which usually doesn't indicate that a player is ready to handle the grown-ups. Also, I guess this means that Swampdick and Pond aren't coming, as they likely would have announced them here, at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Final prediction, in case the team is announced on sunday or monday. Off to Espoo tomorrow!

Innala - Granlund(C) - Puljujärvi
Oksanen - Kapanen - Puustinen
Luoto - Hyry - Nurmi
Mäenalanen - Björninen(A) - Pakarinen
Jääskä, Puistola

Määttä - Lehtonen(A)
Rissanen - Kaski
Riikola - Rindell
Vittasmäki - Winberg

Säteri
Larmi
Lehtinen

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Final prediction, in case the team is announced on sunday or monday. Off to Espoo tomorrow!

Luoto - Hyry - Nurmi
Jääskä, Puistola

Määttä - Lehtonen(A)
Rissanen - Kaski
Riikola - Rindell
Vittasmäki - Winberg

Säteri
Larmi
Lehtinen
No Suomela?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Määttä - Lehtonen(A)
Rissanen - Kaski
Riikola - Rindell
Vittasmäki - Winberg
Add Saarijärvi, scratch either Rindell or Winberg.

Otherwise looks quite plausible.

No Suomela?
Lehtonen was officially announced today, but not a word about the other Swiss league finalists. They also invited Helenius back. Together, these add up to us not getting any centers from the Swiss league finals. So likely no Lammikko either.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It was either Rindell or Saarijärvi and my prediction is that Jalonen wants a shutdown-pair, that's why Winberg makes it.
I take it you have Kaski as the secondary puckmover and 2nd PP QB. But I say that Saarijärvi > Kaski.

So if Winberg is in, it's going to be Kaski vs. Rindell, and Kaski still wins that one, despite losing to Saarijärvi.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013

Luoto - Hyry - Nurmi
Jääskä, Puistola

Määttä - Lehtonen(A)
Rissanen - Kaski
Riikola - Rindell
Vittasmäki - Winberg

Säteri
Larmi
Lehtinen
There are some players I've never heard of them like Hyry, Vittasmäki, Jääskä, Rissanen. Would it be their first participation at the WHC in the Finnish NT if it's the final roster? Do they play all in the Finnish league?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There are some players I've never heard of them like Hyry, Vittasmäki, Jääskä, Rissanen. Would it be their first participation at the WHC in the Finnish NT if it's the final roster? Do they play all in the Finnish league?
Rissanen is in the swedish league, stay at home d

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Excited to see that Helenius is back in. And Lehtonen confirmed. :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

If Helenius plays well in the last game, he's certainly in the final team, else Jalonen wouldn't do this kind of thing, meaning calling someone back so fast after his other tournament ended or could be that Jalonen likes Helenius so much that he's in regardless, so perhaps he's not a borderline case for Jalonen anymore. Well who knows.

Personally I don't have an opinion for or against Helenius, but it's exciting to have a guy of this age and see if he'll play over the expectations. Memories come to mind: The young Granny in 2011 WHC (lacrosse goal against RUS & gold), Patrik Laine's incredible spring (which resulted in WHC silver under K. Jalonen) and Kaapo Kakko (leading the tournament in goals after preliminary stage if I remember right), a more recent WHC case.

Instead of the all-star event, the NHL will organize an international best-on-best mini-tournament in February 2025 that features Canada, Finland, Sweden and USA.

---

Interesting that they took Helenius back. Not that I'm complaining, but his performance in the U18s was somewhat lackluster, which usually doesn't indicate that a player is ready to handle the grown-ups. Also, I guess this means that Swampdick and Pond aren't coming, as they likely would have announced them here, at the same time.

Sounds fantastic! Czechs must be happy lol, so not the greatest thing all things considered, but it's been way too long since we had some best on best hockey, so I'll take anything at this point.

Reactions: king89 and illone84

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
If Helenius plays well in the last game, he's certainly in the final team, else Jalonen wouldn't do this kind of thing, meaning calling someone back so fast after his other tournament ended or could be that Jalonen likes Helenius so much that he's in regardless, so perhaps he's not a borderline case for Jalonen anymore. Well who knows.

Personally I don't have an opinion for or against Helenius, but it's exciting to have a guy of this age and see if he'll play over the expectations. Memories come to mind: The young Granny in 2011 WHC (lacrosse goal against RUS & gold), Patrik Laine's incredible spring (which resulted in WHC silver under K. Jalonen) and Kaapo Kakko (leading the tournament in goals after preliminary stage if I remember right), a more recent WHC case.

Sounds fantastic! Czechs must be happy lol, so not the greatest thing all things considered, but it's been way too long since we had some best on best hockey, so I'll take anything at this point.
I'm afraid that this "show" is almost all about the North American teams. The refs who are "trained" to whistle like that to have an NA final. Media coverage will be 95% CAN and US. 4.5% Sweden and 0.5% Finland. These Scandinavians are an annoying addition to the NA show anyway. :nod:

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The top-six winger situation, which has been the biggest concern, is beginning to look somewhat brighter. We have Puustinen, Puistola and Innala, who all look reasonably effective, and if the remaining spot goes to Pulju (who has been decent too, but I can't say if Jalonen expects more from him), I won't complain.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm afraid that this "show" is almost all about the North American teams. The refs who are "trained" to whistle like that to have an NA final. Media coverage will be 95% CAN and US. 4.5% Sweden and 0.5% Finland. These Scandinavians are an annoying addition to the NA show anyway. :nod:

Good point and I think that you're right. We'll all be angry in front of our televisons watching when the ref's are going to do some biased calls during this tournament. Finland would have to be a lot better than someone like USA, that is if Finland vs USA would be a semi final to overcome that ref bias and I don't think we can be a lot better when we're already behind of them in player material.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I
Good point and I think that you're right. We'll all be angry in front of our televisons watching when the ref's are going to do some biased calls during this tournament. Finland would have to be a lot better than someone like USA, that is if Finland vs USA would be a semi final to overcome that ref bias and I don't think we can be a lot better when we're already behind of them in player material.
Personally, I see the 4 nations cup as a way for Pennanen to prepare for the upcoming best on best Olympics. I don't see Finland doing much in the gimmy tournie, and probably finishing last. On the other hand, if Pennanen pulls a Marjamäki and the Finns only score 1 goal, management will still have time to find a replacement before the real tournament commences.......The reality is that the 4 nations cup is a right loads of codswallop that was just put together to
appease and concurrently rekindle interest for international hockey that has been dying out in the North American market. Finland and Sweden don't mean much in the large scale of things when it comes to audiences having any weight, so the dream is always for a CAN VS USA final. Too bad it didn't work out that way in 2004 and 2016.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Pulju with a nice shootout winner against Sweden in the final exhibition game before the WHC commences. Helenius looked pretty good, also had an assist and a shootout goal. :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad