Speculation: Gerard Gallant FIRED, Should Montreal go for it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
THE COACH IS NOT THE ISSUE FOR THE HABS! In fact, Julien has been excellent for the garbage that Bergevin has given him.

Hell, Julien's excellent coaching hid Bergevin's incompetence. If Julien gets fired, it's because of Bergy trying to pass blame on him. The person who DOES NEED TO BE REPLACED is BERGEVIN.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
THE COACH IS NOT THE ISSUE FOR THE HABS! In fact, Julien has been excellent for the garbage that Bergevin has given him.

Hell, Julien's excellent coaching hid Bergevin's incompetence. If Julien gets fired, it's because of Bergy trying to pass blame on him. The person who DOES NEED TO BE REPLACED is BERGEVIN.
At this point, we're better off just cleaning house. I don't blame Julien directly but he hasn't exactly excelled either.

I look at the isles roster. They really aren't much better than us on paper. Yet, they win because Trotz has gotten everyone to buy into the system.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
At this point, we're better off just cleaning house. I don't blame Julien directly but he hasn't exactly excelled either.

I look at the isles roster. They really aren't much better than us on paper. Yet, they win because Trotz has gotten everyone to buy into the system.

Well, on paper, they're MUCH bigger than us. We're small, we get injured. And that's..... as of before the All-Star break. Imagine in round 2 of the playoffs. We'd need Riley Barber back on the 2nd line.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Yeah I agree somewhat but his utilization of guys like Weal and Cousins is his decision

Reactions: Riddum

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Yeah I agree somewhat but his utilization of guys like Weal and Cousins is his decision
True. He does like his 4th line plugs. But I get why he put them. These guys have managed to generate chances...unfortunately, they don't have much finishing abilities.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
When it comes to coaching, I think it all comes down to team direction.

I am sure everyone wants a coach that will get the most of his team, be strong tactically and do the best possible from a player development standpoint.

Probably is, strong tactics/winning games and player development are different things. Team needs to decide on direction, which one of these is the priority.

If it's wining, Julien is about as good as we can realistically expect. The roster is awful but he gets what he can out of them.

If it's player development, we can look for a change. But then we need to understand that there will be growing pains.

Reactions: habergeon

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

They are much much bigger and taller than our team.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I think the only way Julien gets fired is if this organization truly believes that Dominic Ducharme is ready to take over the job full-time.

He's the best "next" coach for Montreal, it's just a matter of if he's ready or not. And I don't care what Bergevin says, if he fires Julien he's giving up and going full rebuild, and Price and Weber are following shortly thereafter.

But I think at for some reason we'll actually add at the deadline, Julien won't be fired and we miss the playoffs again.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Montreal Canadiens have gone from being FC Barcelona to Athletic Bilbao. Sadness.

LOL. They mostly employ Basque playersl but they don't always employ Basque coaches, for instance Bielsa was there for 2 years/2 seasons. I doubt he speaks Basque at all nor does he speaks English very well but he is currently coaching Leeds United in the Championship and they are one of the favorites to qualify for the Premier league.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Does anyone really think Habs would hire Gallant as head coach? I mean really believe that?

The guys doesn't speak French so he is a no go. That's the sad truth that's all!

Remember the Cunneyworth fiasco? Hell even the government showed it's displeasure! And he was per interim?!

No way Habs sign Gallant. Besides they won't fire Julien.

And if they do fire him, they hire who? Guy Boucher? Bob Hartley?
Or they promote Ducharme or Bouchard?
Recycle Carbonneau?

None of these choices would make any difference.
Besides, the coach isn't really the problem in Montreal right now... it's the complete and utter lack of true talent.

As Claude Julien would say: Aussi simple que ça!

Reactions: 1909

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Season is already toast.

Firing the coach now is like closing the barn door with the horse long gone.

The entire backup goaltending situation is puzzling. Kinkaid got them 5 points in 5 decisions. For some reason, Primeau was recalled and got them 2 pts in 2 starts. Now Lindgren has none in 3 starts (albeit with an arguably weaker roster).

Did the Habs miss the memo where the NHL has become a 2 goaltender league?

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
This is BS. Im as francophone as they come and my entourage is too and no one would bat an eye. You know what turns off a clientele ? Losing every ****ing year.
That's you. Last time they had an Anglophone coach for half a season after firing martin they still replaced him after the protests and government pressure.

Bloc Quebecois exerted mafialike pressure on the habs owners in terms of making business life difficult and froze business deals and basically strong-armed , the culture minister who was liberal blasted it in the media , the media was tearing the hand a new one at the time and encouraging boycotts of buying their beer or tickets until they got rid of the English speaking guy.

You gotta remember this is a team that had politicians asking Saku koivu to step down until he learned fluent French with his other 3 languages.

Play on the ice is secondary to these folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad