George McPhee III

ryan519*

Francois Allaire is the goaltending coach in Colorado.

you really think roy has no part in that

how else do u explain the radical change in his play from last year to this with that same goaltending coach

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'll concede, the value we got for Varly seemed great at the time. But then we squandered the return, and now Varly is blossoming. Things change, grades are updated, this isn't college.

I completely disagree with that mentality. You judge a trade based on the value of a player at the time of the trade. At the time of the trade, GMGM got good value for Varly. At the time of the trade, GMGM got terrible value for Forsberg. It doesn't matter what Forsberg does from now on, he could be a total bust, but at the time of the trade, GMGM failed to get the return he could have gotten. That trade will always be a massive failure.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
you really think roy has no part in that

how else do u explain the radical change in his play from last year to this with that same goaltending coach

First of all, Allaire was hired during the 2013 offseason. This is Varlamov's only season with Allaire.

Second of all, from a New York Times article on Roy:
Roy gave credit for Varlamov’s success to François Allaire, his former goaltending coach

I remember the actual quote but can't find it. Anyway, the upshot is that Roy says it's Allaire. Frankly that shouldn't be surprising, since Roy has GM duties in addition to coaching duties.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I completely disagree with that mentality. You judge a trade based on the value of a player at the time of the trade. At the time of the trade, GMGM got good value for Varly. At the time of the trade, GMGM got terrible value for Forsberg. It doesn't matter what Forsberg does from now on, he could be a total bust, but at the time of the trade, GMGM failed to get the return he could have gotten. That trade will always be a massive failure.

Would you apply that same approach to draft picks or UFA signings? If not, why?

If so, an Excel spreadsheet could be your GM for you. The ides that the only thing that matters is past performance is just silly. Predicting future return is what separates the good GMs from the bad ones, in every aspect of their job.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
curious. would have you have traded for pronger? alzner, varly and a 1st?

Why does that matter? Do you have some sort of hypothetical outcome that allows you to grade that decision?

The answer sort of depends on if you think we are one player away right then and there, and that player is a Pronger.

I don't think we've ever really been one player away from a Cup. I think we've been marginally competitive in the playoffs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
*Fart noise* *Honks horn*

Patrick has always been a guy that believed in the sort of eventualism that has plagued the org. the last few number of years. The notion that if they stick with The Plan as designed they would somehow break through. There does seem to be a willingness to bring in a truly fresh set of eyes but I'm not sure if they will manage to both a.) not get suckered into a snake oil salesman and b.) not desire to override whoever it is they hire.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why does that matter? Do you have some sort of hypothetical outcome that allows you to grade that decision?

The answer sort of depends on if you think we are one player away right then and there, and that player is a Pronger.

I don't think we've ever really been one player away from a Cup. I think we've been marginally competitive in the playoffs.

I don't know. I see you trashing trades. I thought I would ask you about one.

how good is Forsberg going to be?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't know. I see you trashing trades. I thought I would ask you about one.

how good is Forsberg going to be?

Oh I don't know, but I suppose if I knew the game I'd be in it.

I can't predict the future all that well, but I can grade the past. GM's get paid millions to be better at predicting the future than we do. They have access to more information than we do. They get graded against their peers, in wins and losses.

I haven't seen Forsberg play all that much, but I also don't rush to grade that trade until the long term results are in. I do know, we flat out squandered the biggest asset we got back for that deal.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
"The inmates are running the asylum" said on the CBC panel tonight, I can't for the life of me remember what the guys name is who said this but yeah nice

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's ironic though. He eeked out a living by fighting. Yet doesn't want fights in a meaningless game, risking his skill players, even though Chicago loaded up, he played the passive card. He doesn't dress any goons and sure enough a prospect of his got ruined. And then goes and fights after the game after making a huge statement that he doesn't want fighting.

He should have been as mad at himself as at the Blackhawks.

It was cool that he stood up for his players but it was too little to late. He ****ed up.

I can't remember the cap that got injured, but I think Remi concussed one of our players who was never the same afterwards. Trevor Halverson?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
It's ironic though. He eeked out a living by fighting. Yet doesn't want fights in a meaningless game, risking his skill players, even though Chicago loaded up, he played the passive card. He doesn't dress any goons and sure enough a prospect of his got ruined. And then goes and fights after the game after making a huge statement that he doesn't want fighting.

It was cool that he stood up for his players but it was too little to late. He ****ed up.

I can't remember the cap that got injured, but I think Remi concussed one of our players who was never the same afterwards. Trevor Halverson?

Who was ruined? I was too young to understand what was going on.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

Yep. It was Halverson. A late #1 pick in 1991, I think. Taken after Pat Peake.

And I agree with you. I think McPhee f'd up by putting a soft team out there that day. It was a pre-season game if I remember right. Those games typically became barroom brawls where, as a fan, you actually get tired of the fights by the end of the second period. When the 160 lb. Swedish skilled wingers start throwing and eating punches it's time to get back to hockey.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I only vaguely remember the specifics but was not a road game/split squad sort of deal?

mike eagles was in that game. wasn't chris simon in the game as well?

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Eagles Soar! Eagles never fought, maybe once. Simon may have been there, I don't recall. It was not televised.

It was Trevor. Not that we had much luck drafting LWs but still. What was George expecting, his young players trying to make impression to turn the other cheek in an era when it was common for there to be fights in the NHL?

George chose the wrong time to make a statement against fighting in the NHL. He should have done it in the off season.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Eagles Soar! Eagles never fought, maybe once. Simon may have been there, I don't recall. It was not televised.

It was Trevor. Not that we had much luck drafting LWs but still. What was George expecting, his young players trying to make impression to turn the other cheek in an era when it was common for there to be fights in the NHL?

George chose the wrong time to make a statement against fighting in the NHL. He should have done it in the off season.

As I recall, the Caps had about given up on Halverson as a scoring winger by that time. But he might've made it as a grinder. 3rd or 4th line guy.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As I recall, the Caps had about given up on Halverson as a scoring winger by that time. But he might've made it as a grinder. 3rd or 4th line guy.

Sounds about right. And he may well have gotten concussed with 10 goons behind him supporting him or later in his career. Its just likely not a coincidence it all went down that day, and may well have been THE exact reason George went to war by himself post game. Guilt and anger.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006

but you see, he wasnt. there was no statement, about fighting in hockey, being made by him with his request to the blackhawks.

everybody knows in preseason hockey players drop the mitts trying to impress, it happens. what chicago was doing was taking it to another level entirely, they were playing preseason games like they were the BSB and big bad bruins combined, when it wasnt needed.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
but you see, he wasnt. there was no statement, about fighting in hockey, being made by him with his request to the blackhawks.

everybody knows in preseason hockey players drop the mitts trying to impress, it happens. what chicago was doing was taking it to another level entirely, they were playing preseason games like they were the BSB and big bad bruins combined, when it wasnt needed.

Chicago was not taking it to a new level. They were playing the way it had been played in our lifetimes.

They were protecting their stars in the meaningless preseason.

George hung his out to dry. A statement was made, but more to his players, and about 10 years before the league was ready to follow suit. Like, good luck out there tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad