George McPhee III

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
My biggest gripe is signing all these tweener third pairing guys. We draft somewhat well and have people in the pipeline who are being held out of a job (ie: orlov) who need to be playing. Hillen Erskine oleksy strachan... That's this years list and it's been going in for too long. Play Orlov. He deserves it and had earned it. The sad part is the fan base here sees it. Fan bases of other teams see it and obviously Orlov sees it. For the crap he's put up with this year he's been a pretty Damn good sport. Uncle teddy needs to lay off the marijuana's and see what GM has done to this organization.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
GMGM has had a history of not valuing the D.

I'll rephrase that...he does value his puck moving D (Mironov, Pothier, Poti signings and trades for guys like Corvo)

In the Jagr era he traded and signed guys like Nylander and Lang while picking up scrubs on D like Kwiakowski and Doig.

He inhereted a respectable but aging D of Calle/Tinordi, Reekie/Gonchar, Witt/Klee and milked them for as long as he could never replacing them until drafting some post lockout.

Has he learned his lesson on this? I'd say no.

His drafting has gotten better and he finally has realized that we need to be more physical but the D has always been his achilles.

How we can go into the last several seasons of Ovechkin's prime relying on kid Dmen escapes me.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
My biggest gripe is signing all these tweener third pairing guys. We draft somewhat well and have people in the pipeline who are being held out of a job (ie: orlov) who need to be playing. Hillen Erskine oleksy strachan... That's this years list and it's been going in for too long. Play Orlov. He deserves it and had earned it. The sad part is the fan base here sees it. Fan bases of other teams see it and obviously Orlov sees it. For the crap he's put up with this year he's been a pretty Damn good sport. Uncle teddy needs to lay off the marijuana's and see what GM has done to this organization.

My biggest gripe is him saying, "I like our team" when it's obvious to everyone else that the D is woefully undermanned and half of it is journeymen tweeners. Lets not even start with fixing the 2C issue instead of band aids and try outs.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I'm scared to see what happens if/when Erskine and Hillen come back. Even more people will be pissed. I'll just leave it at that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

the problem for Orlov is that he didn't out play Schmidt. You didn't mention Schmidt or Urbom but Hillen was essentially a place holder for Schmidt. Urbom was there to replace Hillen after he broke his leg. Erskine has a different role than Orlov and Oleksy plays a different position.

I will admit that I don't understand the fascination with Strachan all of a sudden. But that's Oates. Oates had no interest in playing Orlov, btw. McPhee is responsible for hiring Oates but its Oates that doesn't like Orlov. Proof of that mess is the Erat deal which is entirely Oates and it only makes McPhee look bad.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Heh

The only reason Schmidt got recalled over Orlov was the pink eye.

Its speculative at best to say Hillen was the placeholder for Schmidt IIRC since we acquired Hillen before Schmidt. Even if not, Orlov was to be recalled.

I am not 100% sold that Oates has no interest to play Orlov since Oates seems very reluctant and stubborn to make even the most simple of changes. When Oates came on board, Orlov's season was wrecked with 2 concussions. In Orlov's 4 games that year, he looked fine to me.

But there were lots of other healthy options.

And Orlov is here, now.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
GMGM has had a history of not valuing the D.

I'll rephrase that...he does value his puck moving D (Mironov, Pothier, Poti signings and trades for guys like Corvo)

In the Jagr era he traded and signed guys like Nylander and Lang while picking up scrubs on D like Kwiakowski and Doig.

He inhereted a respectable but aging D of Calle/Tinordi, Reekie/Gonchar, Witt/Klee and milked them for as long as he could never replacing them until drafting some post lockout.

Has he learned his lesson on this? I'd say no.

His drafting has gotten better and he finally has realized that we need to be more physical but the D has always been his achilles.

How we can go into the last several seasons of Ovechkin's prime relying on kid Dmen escapes me.

Which is.....WHY..HE..NEEDS..TO BE...FIRED!!!!

FAK!!!

It pisses me off.

Halpysback*

the problem for Orlov is that he didn't out play Schmidt. You didn't mention Schmidt or Urbom but Hillen was essentially a place holder for Schmidt. Urbom was there to replace Hillen after he broke his leg. Erskine has a different role than Orlov and Oleksy plays a different position.

I will admit that I don't understand the fascination with Strachan all of a sudden. But that's Oates. Oates had no interest in playing Orlov, btw. McPhee is responsible for hiring Oates but its Oates that doesn't like Orlov. Proof of that mess is the Erat deal which is entirely Oates and it only makes McPhee look bad.

Schmidt didn't substantially outplay Orlov either. You have a guy with bluechip potential, a guy with lower potential and you give preferential treatment to a guy with lower potential when he doesn't clearly deserve it? That's a great way to squander assets for absolutely no reason, in a league where 30 teams are fighting tooth and nail for every inch. What if Kuznetsov comes over and looks about as good as Troy Brouwer in his first game? Do we just shelve him cause everyone on this super awesome magical team already has a role? Should Tampa have traded Stamkos when he struggled right off the bat in his rookie season? Not every player lights the world on fire the moment they step on the ice. One good or bad game by them does not negate everything about their career prior to that point. Good GMs and good coaches see that.

If the coach is having organization bleed assets he better either be a top 5 coach in the league or on his way out. Nothing about Oates makes him seem like even a top 15 coach.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Probably best for everyone if he moves on, and I am not the apologist or hater that many here are. Just like a coach, an organization can get stale, and a fresh pair of eyes, or maybe a few HF posters can come in a build a true contender.

The core is good, it is a great city and an owner willing to spend.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
And who would be brought in to replace him? I don't like McPhee like most everyone else but I'm not exactly sure there's anyone to really replace him that'd be a pretty surefire thing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
And who would be brought in to replace him? I don't like McPhee like most everyone else but I'm not exactly sure there's anyone to really replace him that'd be a pretty surefire thing.

The Jim Nill and Kekalaisngnenanenananenenan trains have left the station. I think Paul Fenton would make a good GM.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I do not personally know how to perform heart surgery but I'm pretty sure a guy with seriously clogged arteries needs it done, and there are people who can do it.

There are never any guarantees in sports management. If there were then we'd all know the winners beforehand, wouldn't we?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I do not personally know how to perform heart surgery but I'm pretty sure a guy with seriously clogged arteries needs it done, and there are people who can do it.

There are never any guarantees in sports management. If there were then we'd all know the winners beforehand, wouldn't we?

I think that's a poor analogy. Its not as if GMGM is the worst GM in the league and there are a few teams that would kill to have him as their GM.

He's doing the job well enough for the patient to still be living, as evident by us making the playoffs basically ever year, but he just can't do anything more to get us over the hump and has only built a team that can just make it to the show. Again, a lot of teams would kill for that.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think that's a poor analogy. Its not as if GMGM is the worst GM in the league and there are a few teams that would kill to have him as their GM.

He's doing the job well enough for the patient to still be living, as evident by us making the playoffs basically ever year, but he just can't do anything more to get us over the hump and has only built a team that can just make it to the show. Again, a lot of teams would kill for that.

I don't think you can find a single legit SC contender that would take McPhee over their current GM. He has shown enough times that he is incapable of building team that gets somewhere in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad