George McPhee III

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Because the Caps are short-sighted idiots. They should have moved heaven and earth to keep Fedorov.

Sadly the sentiment that Semin's 20 goals at 2RW= Brouwer's 20 goals at 2RW was probably at play and they felt that Fleischmann's 50 points at 2C = Fedorov's 50 points at 2C.

Well one thing I learned from that article is that DP has a lot of say and that he probably played the short sighted role.

Also makes me wonder if whoever is hired as GM will be anything but a puppet with DP pulling the strings.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There were plenty of McPhee haters at the time and even after the fact that tried to say Ted had nothing to do with that move. I'm too lazy too look it all up on here...but I recall having those debates on here with people.

Ehh...you're probably right, just thought that was dispelled long long ago.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
It would be nice to see Prior come back now that Oates is gone. Maybe he can turn Holtby back around to what he was before Oates/Kolzig dug their paws into him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It would be nice to see Prior come back now that Oates is gone. Maybe he can turn Holtby back around to what he was before Oates/Kolzig dug their paws into him.

I kind of think you misunderstand the situation. kolzig was to replace Prior in the near future. Kolzig really only knows the Strahlow/Prior style of goaltending. He had been teaching that style of goaltending to Grubauer and to Holtby when not at the NHL level.

I believe the Holtby has said that Kolzig had his back. I don't think Kolzig is going anywhere. I would not be shocked if Prior came back, but keep in mind that Prior was planning on retiring which was why Kolzig was brought in and very likely why it was so easy for him to tell Oates to shove it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I kind of think you misunderstand the situation. kolzig was to replace Prior in the near future. Kolzig really only knows the Strahlow/Prior style of goaltending. He had been teaching that style of goaltending to Grubauer and to Holtby when not at the NHL level.

I believe the Holtby has said that Kolzig had his back. I don't think Kolzig is going anywhere. I would not be shocked if Prior came back, but keep in mind that Prior was planning on retiring which was why Kolzig was brought in and very likely why it was so easy for him to tell Oates to shove it.

Summary: Kolzig didn't screw up Holtby, Oates did.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Summary: Kolzig didn't screw up Holtby, Oates did.

Not the way I see it. If you're the coach, you're responsible for what you're teaching. If you dont have the balls to teach what you think is right and tell the head coach that, then you're responsible for what happens and not looking out for the best of the team and your goalies.

Oates wasnt teaching the goalies, Kolzig was.

If Kolzig had the guts to stand up to Oates the way that Prior did, GMGM would have had no choice but to ask why multiple goalie coaches couldnt get along with him and things may have been different.

Just my take on the situation.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Not the way I see it. If you're the coach, you're responsible for what you're teaching. If you dont have the balls to teach what you think is right and tell the head coach that, then you're responsible for what happens and not looking out for the best of the team and your goalies.

If Kolzig had the guts to stand up to Oates the way that Prior did, GMGM would have had no choice but to ask why multiple goalie coaches couldnt get along with him and things may have been different.

Well it's nice that you shared your take but it's wrong. Oates dictated how the goalies needed to play. Period. He knows everything about hockey you didn't read Katie's piece?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Right on. I am thinking maybe its best to bring back Prior and end the alumni thing that has been going on for some time now.

Not a good start for Kolzig, letting in a beachball on his first shot.

Maybe its best he goes too since our GM clearly sees using our kids going forward. I see no reason to keep him. At this point, if anyone thinks he is a our key to a cup, I would say it was maybe true 15 years ago.

Holtby may well not trust him anymore to stand up for what is right. The seed of doubt is planted.

Ready to werk me lord
PriorIndexHeadshot.jpg

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well...you guys go on. think how you want. prior said that oates demanded that he coach the goalies to change to oates way of playing goal. kolzig was helping holtby try and play oates program but its pretty clear that kolzig is a prior style goaltender and had been coaching prior's program to the caps system goaltenders til prior was forced out.

holtby seems to say exactly that when asked about kolzig.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Nope. Your boss has final say. You can rebel and if the boss disagrees then you either fall in line or hit the road.

What kind of hockey team would you have if a head coach was just letting his assistants do whatever they wanted? What if one coach's philosophy is interfering with the teaching of another coach? Who runs the team, the HC or the assistants?

There's hopefully a balance there, as in any business hierarchy. But it seems Oates was a ************ dictator so Kolzig either did what his boss wanted or else.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Why didn't Fedorov hang around?

Fedorov had just found out he was completely ripped off by his business manager and was basically broke. He was in a position where he felt he needed to make as much cash as he possibly could in the remaining playing days of his career and that was not going to be anywhere in the NHL, let alone DC. He got paid a whole lot of money to go home to the KHL.

How things would have been different around here if he had kept a better eye on his money IMO...

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Because the Caps are short-sighted idiots. They should have moved heaven and earth to keep Fedorov.

Sadly the sentiment that Semin's 20 goals at 2RW= Brouwer's 20 goals at 2RW was probably at play and they felt that Fleischmann's 50 points at 2C = Fedorov's 50 points at 2C.

did you kinda say something nice about semin, i must be seeing things.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

in a perfect world. sure. Prior is older and was planning to retire. He had his long time protégé hired to take is place and continue his teachings. When faced with Oates telling him he was wrong and that was being directed to change his program to Oates', Prior said "shove it" and Oates told him to get lost.

Oates then put Kolzig in the same hot seat. He had the same choice. Teach Oates crap or get fired. Kolzig has a different agenda. His coaching career is just starting. As we all know he has an autistic child, who if you don't know doesn't do well with change. Meaning Kolzig had priorities were different. He wanted the job more than he wanted to be right. He wanted to outlast Oates. I am fairly sure McPhee advised him to stay and do the best he could.

Have you ever quit or forced yourself to be fired from a really good job because you had a philosophical difference with your boss? I have. Got fired. Damaged my rep for not following directions and being difficult. My career might have been a lot different if I rolled with the flow a bit more readily

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Semin was an incredible pker, possession player and offensive whiz. He was never replaced and we sorely miss that secondary scoring.

I have no regrets divorcing him but we lack elite offense.

players like him are hard to get. he is a risky get which Carolina has learned

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I recall that GMGM was actually on vacation on some beach at the time of the Jagr trade and really REALLY didn't want to do it.

I think we all knew all along that Ted made that trade.

We knew Ted was the one who wanted Cassidy (I believe McPhee wanted Hanlon at that time?)

After hearing about Gretzky I am missing GMGM already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad