OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Nunes doesn't want to fight Cyborg because it would, ironically like Nunes did to Rousey, expose her as a sub-par fighter.

TJ vs DJ won't happen anytime soon because DJ thinks he's marketable lol

DJ is starting to annoy me. At first it was "Hey, if you don't want to give me more money, I'm not moving a weight class up where people hit harder and I can get long term injuries". You're like, good man, thinking of his health and as a businessman. Then TJ is going down a weight class for him and he wants a shitload more money. Why DJ? You're not even changing you're routine, you're making another guy go through the trouble! I get "oh, ill cash in on super fight" but man...he's going overboard now.

Nunes is fighting Raquel Pennington in May, I don't know if she'll be able to be on the July card. Even then, she may very well end up fighting Shevchenko again before a Cyborg fight ever materialize. TJ vs DJ is a lot more likely, especially since Dillashaw seems willing to drop to flyweight. Good luck with that by the way, the dude has zero visible fat on his body at Bantam, he'll have to cut one of his legs or something :laugh:

He'll need to cut muscle to get it. i'm not sure why they don't just do a 130 catchweight. Seems ridiculous that DJ is just sitting back. Then again, I'm sure TJ wants the title if he can get it.

Nunes has been running, so annoyed.

Reactions: jackeymoon

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
DJ is starting to annoy me. At first it was "Hey, if you don't want to give me more money, I'm not moving a weight class up where people hit harder and I can get long term injuries". You're like, good man, thinking of his health and as a businessman. Then TJ is going down a weight class for him and he wants a ****load more money. Why DJ? You're not even changing you're routine, you're making another guy go through the trouble! I get "oh, ill cash in on super fight" but man...he's going overboard now.

He'll need to cut muscle to get it. i'm not sure why they don't just do a 130 catchweight. Seems ridiculous that DJ is just sitting back. Then again, I'm sure TJ wants the title if he can get it.

Nunes has been running, so annoyed.

Dana White says Demetrious Johnson-T.J. Dillashaw superfight not happening: Report
No superfight on the horizon apparently, per Dana. That's a shame.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Actually...

I'd be thinking this a joke, but it's such a classical MMA way of cancelling fights. Eating tiramisu, tripping on bath tubs, breaking your backs when an elevator has a stoppage, now we can add Saying Hello as a new source of MMA cancellations

Yeah these things just find a way of happening don't they ? :laugh: I really wish it were a joke honestly, I was looking forward to that fight big time. Now it's another belt that ends up being kind of a joke, with the undefeated champ and the interim champ not even fighting for it. Half the divisions in the company are a complete mess right now.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
khabib will absolutely crush holloway. Cringey ass Tony, just had to keep running his mouth until karma got to him. And Mcchicken is going to continue to beak from the sidelines until khabib retires. sometimes I hate mma.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't see many scenarios where Holloway has a chance honestly, coming off an ankle injury and taking a big fight in a different division with a one week notice like that. His cardio will be limited at best, no real training camp or prior comparable. The one chance he has is to catch him with one of his funky combinations early in a round, use his range and movement to create some distance. Khabib will probably look to maul him like a bear the way he did to Barbosa, just rush, power him down and GnP him to death.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
the lack of camp training is rough for Holloway. Though, at 100%, Holloway is a more technical and skilled version of Tony, just happens to be smaller, which is probably what's going to be the deciding factor of why he's going to lose.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
According to his own nutritionist, Holloway is about 185 right now ( his normal off fight weight) which means he'll have to cut at a crazy pace to be 155 by the weight-ins Friday. The dude is going to be DRAINED Saturday big time. Good freaking luck to him having any energy at all.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Sad but unavoidable at this point. Hopefully they'll have a rematch at some point down the line, before both are too far past their primes.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
have no idea what the bozos at the Nevada Athletic Commission are doing, cancelling this fight. The tainted meat excuse is reasonable. I'm guessing they were trying to juice out a lofty fine from Canelo's purse, or this is mostly a PR move to protect their image.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
have no idea what the bozos at the Nevada Athletic Commission are doing, cancelling this fight. The tainted meat excuse is reasonable. I'm guessing they were trying to juice out a lofty fine from Canelo's purse, or this is mostly a PR move to protect their image.
While not impossible, I don't buy this. Hard to believe a world class fighter is going to eat crappy local beef and enough of it to have detectable traces in his blood.
Also, it's just the common theme among athletes..."oh I swear I didn't know. Must be something I ate, or a mix up at the pharmacy, or wtv".
I am sure it is possible that some athletes end up testing positive for substances they had no idea they consumed. But that number is likely very very very low, too many of them use that excuse.

In any event, I think banning PEDs is completely stupid and a massive failure.
PEDs work. They work incredibly well. That is why so many athletes risk their entire careers to use them. Even after getting caught once, some will take that chance again.
Considering this, they should regulate them, not ban them. Honestly, I don't know why they don't lift the ban. Let's not pretend it's because they care about the wellbeing of athletes. They don't. Not for one second.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
According to his own nutritionist, Holloway is about 185 right now ( his normal off fight weight) which means he'll have to cut at a crazy pace to be 155 by the weight-ins Friday. The dude is going to be DRAINED Saturday big time. Good freaking luck to him having any energy at all.
I have no idea why fighters still cut this way. It's so stupid.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have no idea why fighters still cut this way. It's so stupid.
Convenience really, not caring much for the consequences. It'll take a guy dying doing this stuff for mentalities to really change, which is just dumb. There's been some very close calls too, it's only a matter of time . If you have a natural 5ft11 , 185 pounds frame you shouldn't be fighting at featherweight and lightweight, that's just nuts.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Convenience really, not caring much for the consequences. It'll take a guy dying doing this stuff for mentalities to really change, which is just dumb. There's been some very close calls too, it's only a matter of time . If you have a natural 5ft11 , 185 pounds frame you shouldn't be fighting at featherweight and lightweight, that's just nuts.
One of the reasons why I say the Athletic Commissions really don't give two craps about the health of these guys.
Letting athletes dehydrate to the point of getting hospitalized is okay...but someone taking a booster to actually IMPROVE and HELP his development and performance...nope...
:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad