OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 2 - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Not a dog guy but awesome vid. I've always been a dog bite chew toy from the early single digit age days.
Ugh that sucks. Sorry.

Another friend of ours crafted the Laws of Dog, attributed to his rescue husky, Kenai. Kenai's First Law of Dog is that anything (or I suppose anyone) can be a chew toy at least once.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Malinois. My friend raises those. They're insanely athletic dogs. They're also people biters.
Dog of choice for US Special Forces.

SF-Dog.jpg

navysealmuseum.org-hero-multipurpose-canines-mobile.jpg

Reactions: Calicaps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Kind of a random post. But does anyone else have a Ring video doorbell? I noticed the past week or so that our doorbell all of a sudden isn’t connecting to our WiFi. There’s literally been zero issues with it up to this point. What I think is a little fishy is that the Ring app has constantly been pushing their new Chime Pro, which is a WiFi extender and chime all in one, and now I’m getting issues with our doorbell connecting to WiFi.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kind of a random post. But does anyone else have a Ring video doorbell? I noticed the past week or so that our doorbell all of a sudden isn’t connecting to our WiFi. There’s literally been zero issues with it up to this point. What I think is a little fishy is that the Ring app has constantly been pushing their new Chime Pro, which is a WiFi extender and chime all in one, and now I’m getting issues with our doorbell connecting to WiFi.

I do, in fact home automation/security is a big hobby of mine.

Seems odd that it suddenly started happening. Could anything be interfering with the wireless signal?

I have a chime pro for extending the Ring network a bit, and I don’t use the mechanical doorbell.

Can you manually reconnect it via the setup process (which is a pain only in that you need to remove the cover)?

About a month ago I had this issue and ended up disconnecting the Ring from the power and resetting it and then it joined no issue.

Another thing to check, is the transformer your DB is hooked up to. Some older ones don’t quit have enough juice to power it well 100% of the time, so you could see intermittent issues. It’s a cheap part and easy install.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I do, in fact home automation/security is a big hobby of mine.

Seems odd that it suddenly started happening. Could anything be interfering with the wireless signal?

I have a chime pro for extending the Ring network a bit.

Can you manually reconnect it via the setup process (which is a pain only in that you need to remove the cover)?

About a month ago I had this issue and ended up disconnecting the Ring from the power and resetting it and then it joined no issue.

Another thing to check, is the transformer your DB is hooked up to. Some older ones don’t quit have enough juice to power it well 100% of the time, so you could see intermittent issues. It’s a cheap part and easy install.
We already have a WiFi extender that it’s hooked up to. Literally zero problems with it up until this point. I’ve rebooted the WiFi, the extender and done the manual reconnection multiple times. Just odd. Probably just a coincidence but it’s funny how I keep getting notifications and emails about the chime pro and then this happens :laugh:

I’ll look into the other thing you mentioned when I get a chance. Thanks!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We already have a WiFi extender that it’s hooked up to. Literally zero problems with it up until this point. I’ve rebooted the WiFi, the extender and done the manual reconnection multiple times. Just odd. Probably just a coincidence but it’s funny how I keep getting notifications and emails about the chime pro and then this happens :laugh:

Ok, so it’s not connecting to your chime then? Is it connecting/disconnecting or flat out won’t connect now?

I’d look at those things….then troubleshooting the wireless signal, maybe changing the channels on your router to see if you notice any performance increase.

in the Ring, app under device health you can see if the power goes low or takes it offline also.

if that doesn’t work, I’d considering resetting them both and reconnecting them.

for disclosure, I have a chime pro, probably like 4 years old….I think 2nd gen.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

If you haven't already, might want to check your router to set up a static IP for the Ring instead of using DHCP to assign an IP automatically. I've seen with my cameras (6 of them around the house) that if I didn't set up static IPs, for some reason my router wanted to give them new IPs each time so the connection between the cameras and the NVR (Network Video Recorder) would get lost, and it was a major bitch to get it back without reconfiguring everything as if it was a new setup. Making the camera's all static IP's (by recording their MAC in the router and assigning an IP to it) made that problem go away.

In essence, my cameras lost wifi connectivity and wired connectivity a lot until I made them all static IPs in the router, and then now they never lose connectivity ever. Its worth a check see.

Reactions: usiel

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you haven't already, might want to check your router to set up a static IP for the Ring instead of using DHCP to assign an IP automatically. I've seen with my cameras (6 of them around the house) that if I didn't set up static IPs, for some reason my router wanted to give them new IPs each time so the connection between the cameras and the NVR (Network Video Recorder) would get lost, and it was a major bitch to get it back without reconfiguring everything as if it was a new setup. Making the camera's all static IP's (by recording their MAC in the router and assigning an IP to it) made that problem go away.

In essence, my cameras lost wifi connectivity and wired connectivity a lot until I made them all static IPs in the router, and then now they never lose connectivity ever. Its worth a check see.

To that point, it’s on the list. I personally wouldn’t want to maintain any static IPs like that. I’d do the DHCP reservation instead, but I doubt that’s the issue.

Fixing Your Devices Falling Offline Repeatedly by Adjusting Your Router

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
To that point, it’s on the list. I personally wouldn’t want to maintain any static IPs like that. I’d do the DHCP reservation instead, but I doubt that’s the issue.

Fixing Your Devices Falling Offline Repeatedly by Adjusting Your Router

Well everyone has their own level of comfort with managing network settings in routers, but setting a static IP range or a DHCP reservation are both relatively easy and it in fact absolutely solved my issues with cameras dropping off all the time. To your point, a DHCP reservation may be a little easier to manage, but I've seen where that doesn't actually work in some routers (namely my Orbi), where as static IP is 100% reliable (if this is what's causing the issue).

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Y'all, I'm unpinning this thread per some new directives from on high. I think there's enough activity here to keep it on the first page, but let me know if you find its falling out visibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia