Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIX

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So, I can tell you that Jonathan Myrenberg played for Sweden today in an exhibition game against Finland and they won 4-0. He will be playing in the rematch tomorrow. This is a warmup for the World Championships next month.

But I have also been informed that the Bruins asked him to come over now and join Providence for the remainder of the season and he turned them down.

My guess is that he wanted to try and make the Swedish roster, but at 20 years of age.... I guess anything can happen.
Myrenberg.jpg

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
So, I can tell you that Jonathan Myrenberg played for Sweden today in an exhibition game against Finland and they won 4-0. He will be playing in the rematch tomorrow. This is a warmup for the World Championships next month.

But I have also been informed that the Bruins asked him to come over now and join Providence for the remainder of the season and he turned them down.

My guess is that he wanted to try and make the Swedish roster, but at 20 years of age.... I guess anything can happen.View attachment 854688
Any news on the Russian kid who can't sign until May?

Are we still in on him?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

I don't really understand why a goalie would choose Providence given that we just signed one a couple weeks ago, Svedeback and Dyck are on deck and we already have two goalies Bussi and Dipietro still in Providence. Do we really have opportunities for all of these guys. Even if Ulmark goes it seems like it will be tough to find room for these guys. Ask Keyser.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't really understand why a goalie would choose Providence given that we just signed one a couple weeks ago, Svedeback and Dyck are on deck and we already have two goalies Bussi and Dipietro still in Providence. Do we really have opportunities for all of these guys. Even if Ulmark goes it seems like it will be tough to find room for these guys. Ask Keyser.

Well both players are older players (Bischell is 4 months younger than Swayman, and Duplessis is 7 months younger) . Maybe they are just looking for the opportunity to work with what might be the best goalie coching staffs in the business.

Looks like both are only getting AHL contracts, so they would be able to take an NHL opportunity elsewhere later.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if both are at Providence next year, and someone like DiPetro or Bussi gets claimed elsewhere.

We also have no other ideas what offers either might have had

Snefix

Apr 14, 2015
Malmö

My guess is that he wanted to try and make the Swedish roster, but at 20 years of age.... I guess anything can happen.View attachment 854688

Jonathan was not allowed by his Swedish team LHC to go to US , they start their preseason 22/4 and they want him to participate and they expect him to have a bigger role next year

Reactions: HustleB and CDJ

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Providence secured a first round bye with the 4-2 win

Goals by
Merkulov (27) from Tony Dick
Megna (19) from Tony Dick and Merkulov
Duran (2) Brown and Steen
Merkulov (28) Tony Dick and Megna
Bussi 24 saves and another win

Soapbox time
Our guy Merkulov scored 28 goals this year,leads the team in scoring 2 years in a row and the best they can do is 4 games in the bigs?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Goals by

Soapbox time
Our guy Merkulov scored 28 goals this year,leads the team in scoring 2 years in a row and the best they can do is 4 games in the bigs?
I feel that if given more opportunity earlier he could really have been an X-factor in the middle 6 likely replacing Lauko. At this time it feels like it would take several injuries for him to even be in consideration this year as a black ace. I think he'll make it but I have no confidence it in the NHL will be in Boston. I almost hoped he'd be traded at the deadline for his own sake.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Goals by

Soapbox time
Georgii never got a real shot.

And I'm still sad over Regula.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Megna and Richard were feeling it tonight.
Duran has been really good since being paired with Brown & Steen. That line should stay together for the playoffs.
Walsh cannot be relied on defensively. Yes, he led all defensemen in points but he is a team worse -14 (Callahan is -13...rookie Brunet is +7, Regula +36). In this case, +/- absolutely paints an accurate picture. If he plays in the playoffs (likely), Mougenel should do everything he can to shelter his minutes.

Speaking of the D, it'll be interesting to see how they line up in the playoffs.
Mitchell, Renouf, and Callahan are locks. Walsh is probably a lock. I'm not sure of his ETA but Regula would be a lock if healthy. Does Lohrei get returned to Providence once their series starts? (I hope so). That would leave Brunet as a scratch. McIsaac is the only other D on the roster (minus Forbort who I don't think would be an option).

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Goals by

Soapbox time
Are agents going to recommend the Bruins if clients are treated this way?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Goals by

Soapbox time

I don't think they see him as an NHL Center, which is fine, but i don't know why they aren't trying to develop him as a wing then. Makes no sense to me to have him play as a C down there even if it is his better position.

Put him in a position where he might be able to get a look for the big club

Reactions: wintersej

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Jonathan was not allowed by his Swedish team LHC to go to US , they start their preseason 22/4 and they want him to participate and they expect him to have a bigger role next year
Can only tell you what the player himself and his father told me personally.

Question for you: how do they start their preseason 22/4 when the SHL playoffs aren't over until 27/4 at the earliest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad