Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Jaffee said he's playing really well but would like to do the full DeBrusk with him

as they should - i like the full year of development without the seesaw of up and down from the NHL.
JFK is a slam dunk NHL 3rd line center from what i've seen of him. the one thing i'd like to see is to
prioritize getting an offensive top-6 left-shot center in june. too many righty centers in the organization,
and a big hole when it comes to offensively gifted pivots among prospects.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Thanks Dan—that's really good news. Gives GM Sweeney some options in the summer.
Options?

I guess so. You'll have Donato, Knocking on the door as well and then you count all the Young d-men there trying to knock it down.

The future outside of the "Bobby Orr Coming" may have never looked so Bright!:thumbu:

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
as they should - i like the full year of development without the seesaw of up and down from the NHL.
JFK is a slam dunk NHL 3rd line center from what i've seen of him. the one thing i'd like to see is to
prioritize getting an offensive top-6 left-shot center in june. too many righty centers in the organization,

Nugs,

Trent Frederic and Ryan Donato both say hello...

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Nugs,

Trent Frederic and Ryan Donato both say hello...

GD - i don't consider either of those guys to be top 6 centers. frederic to me looks like a high-end 3rd line
center, don't think he has the offensive chops to be considered a top notch offensive center. love his size
and defensive play and he's underrated offensively. as for donato, i'm not sold he's a center at the NHL
level. harvard played him on the wing for 2 years, he was a wing at the WJC, and i know sweeney had
them switch him into the middle at harvard this season, but i think wing is his pro spot. so to me, that

void among our prospects still exists.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
GD - i don't consider either of those guys to be top 6 centers. frederic to me looks like a high-end 3rd line
center, don't think he has the offensive chops to be considered a top notch offensive center. love his size
and defensive play and he's underrated offensively. as for donato, i'm not sold he's a center at the NHL
level. harvard played him on the wing for 2 years, he was a wing at the WJC, and i know sweeney had
them switch him into the middle at harvard this season, but i think wing is his pro spot. so to me, that

void among our prospects still exists.

Frederic has the offensive ability to be a Top 6 in the NHL imo. He was pigeonholed from youth hockey up, playing with Logan Brown and then behind guys like Keller with the US Program.

With JFK ahead of him, he may end up on the wing because of his size, but he’s underrated offensively.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just to follow up, I understand what Nugs is saying and would not be opposed to the B’s going after a future #1 C. For me, the “issue” is that the top two C spots are locked up for the foreseeable future with 37 and 46. Bergeron belongs there and DK is pretty much untradeable.

Guys like Frederic and Donato may be capable of being Top 6 C’s, we just won’t know until they get the chance (and who knows when that will be?). Also, my personal opinion is that the B’s have a potential Top 6 C already on the roster in Heinen. The B’s don’t seem to see him that way (at least right now), but I think he can do it.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Easy fix. Trade for Sean Monahan

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Why do the Bruins need a top 6 left shot center? They have 2 top 6 right shot centers for the past 7 years. I think it only matters that they be top 6 quality, right?

Bruins Top 6 potential centers by age:
Spooner - 5'11" - L - 24 and not prospect but has finally looked Defensively sound enough for Bruins C.
Heinen - 6'1" - L - LW/RW and has the puck winning skills of Bruins C but may not be fast enough
Donato - 6'1" - L - Still a Junior - May not be fast enough nor defensively strong enough to be Bruins C
Hughes - 5'11" - L - Senior - slight but has the speed to have middle 6 upside like Spooner
JFK - 6'1" - R - Middle 6 NHL center with #1 C upside
Frederic - 6'3" - L - Middle 6. Untapped upside.
Studnicka - 6'1" - R - Middle 6 with top 6 possible
Pare - 6'3" - L - Too slow for C but recent scouting articles say he's improved. Possible middle 6 if they are right.

The 3 in bold have the top 6 potential. Heinen and Donato look to be top 6 players but probably not at C. Neither Bergeron nor Krejci were expected to be as good as they are or they would have been top 10 picks. The Bruins have a lot of candidates to try to take some center spots but they would have to beat out the 2 vets.

It would be nice if they had a clear top 6 prospect but those are usually taken in the top 10 and even then there are a lot of misses like Burmistrov, Strome(s), Glennie, Hodgson, etc.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Why do the Bruins need a top 6 left shot center? They have 2 top 6 right shot centers for the past 7 years. I think it only matters that they be top 6 quality, right?

Bruins Top 6 potential centers by age:
Spooner - 5'11" - L - 24 and not prospect but has finally looked Defensively sound enough for Bruins C.
Heinen - 6'1" - L - LW/RW and has the puck winning skills of Bruins C but may not be fast enough
Donato - 6'1" - L - Still a Junior - May not be fast enough nor defensively strong enough to be Bruins C
Hughes - 5'11" - L - Senior - slight but has the speed to have middle 6 upside like Spooner
JFK - 6'1" - R - Middle 6 NHL center with #1 C upside
Frederic - 6'3" - L - Middle 6. Untapped upside.
Studnicka - 6'1" - R - Middle 6 with top 6 possible
Pare - 6'3" - L - Too slow for C but recent scouting articles say he's improved. Possible middle 6 if they are right.

The 3 in bold have the top 6 potential. Heinen and Donato look to be top 6 players but probably not at C. Neither Bergeron nor Krejci were expected to be as good as they are or they would have been top 10 picks. The Bruins have a lot of candidates to try to take some center spots but they would have to beat out the 2 vets.

It would be nice if they had a clear top 6 prospect but those are usually taken in the top 10 and even then there are a lot of misses like Burmistrov, Strome(s), Glennie, Hodgson, etc.

Good write-up, but I slightly disagree on a few on them. For one, I wouldn't even consider Heinen an option for center. He's only played wing since going professional, and I don't see that changing. Donato definitely has the speed to be an NHL center (not really sure speed is important there, at least for the Bruins. Bergeron and Krejci were never burners). He's also pretty defensively sound. Hughes, I have my doubts he even signs with the Bruins. I feel he has "College UFA" written all over him. He'd have a better chance to make it elsewhere.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Good write-up, but I slightly disagree on a few on them. For one, I wouldn't even consider Heinen an option for center. He's only played wing since going professional, and I don't see that changing. Donato definitely has the speed to be an NHL center (not really sure speed is important there, at least for the Bruins. Bergeron and Krejci were never burners). He's also pretty defensively sound. Hughes, I have my doubts he even signs with the Bruins. I feel he has "College UFA" written all over him. He'd have a better chance to make it elsewhere.
Yes, I like Heinen on the wing too but I mentioned him since he was a center before going to Denver and has the IQ and stick compete to assist the D down low if required. Thankfully the Bruins are not in the situation Montreal faces in trying to reconvert a forward back to center.
I hope Donato's speed has improved. I saw him in his 1st year of college get chased down on two breakaways by two different defenseman that had to stop, turn, and chase him. He still fought through the checks and scored on both so there is a lot to like as far as pro game. Like Heinen, his first 2 years of college were at wing and I only saw the 1st Harvard game this year but he did not come back low in the defensive end. He took draws and then seemed to play wing but like I said, that's just one game. I look forward to watching him at the Olympics at any position.
I think you are probably right about Hughes. The main chance of signing him is if Fredric stays at Wisconsin for another year, I could see Hughes joining the Providence Bruins with less competition. With JFK likely promoted, the top C spot in Providence will be open next year. One thing in the Bruins favor is the development path of prospects these past 2 years. They have demonstrated putting prospects in the AHL for a year to learn the system and grow and now this year guys like Heinen, DeBrusk, and Grzelcyk (assuming he stays) have taken spots from vets. Hughes has a lot of skill and speed but he's about as light as Pasta was on draft day. I'm pretty sure that was the main reason no one drafted him in 2014--and he was actually a month too young to be drafted in 2013 so he was almost a double over-ager. He certainly seems worth an ELC if he will sign.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes, I like Heinen on the wing too but I mentioned him since he was a center before going to Denver and has the IQ and stick compete to assist the D down low if required. Thankfully the Bruins are not in the situation Montreal faces in trying to reconvert a forward back to center.
I hope Donato's speed has improved. I saw him in his 1st year of college get chased down on two breakaways by two different defenseman that had to stop, turn, and chase him. He still fought through the checks and scored on both so there is a lot to like as far as pro game. Like Heinen, his first 2 years of college were at wing and I only saw the 1st Harvard game this year but he did not come back low in the defensive end. He took draws and then seemed to play wing but like I said, that's just one game. I look forward to watching him at the Olympics at any position.
I think you are probably right about Hughes. The main chance of signing him is if Fredric stays at Wisconsin for another year, I could see Hughes joining the Providence Bruins with less competition. With JFK likely promoted, the top C spot in Providence will be open next year. One thing in the Bruins favor is the development path of prospects these past 2 years. They have demonstrated putting prospects in the AHL for a year to learn the system and grow and now this year guys like Heinen, DeBrusk, and Grzelcyk (assuming he stays) have taken spots from vets. Hughes has a lot of skill and speed but he's about as light as Pasta was on draft day. I'm pretty sure that was the main reason no one drafted him in 2014--and he was actually a month too young to be drafted in 2013 so he was almost a double over-ager. He certainly seems worth an ELC if he will sign.

Heinen was only in school for 2 years.

He played center for the vast majority of that time. He didn't switch to wing until he got to PRO.

Reactions: veganbruin

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Well, the Harvard game is not on TV right now for me but this is the highlight goal for Donato.

He's definitely down load supporting the D like the center should and being the third man to enter the offensive zone. That's him in front the the goalie to start. That does look like he is playing the right spot defensively so this is a great development for the Bruins if they want him as center.

daleand

Aug 2, 2005
Trail,BC
Just a coupe mid tournament observations on our prospects although I've only seen our 2 Finns once and Steen not yet and obviously not Swayman but good for him for making the team. Lindgren just looks like a pro player both years he has played in this tournament, he is just so solid in everything he does. I love the way he plays if he can develop an offensive game he could be an all star. Just as I'm typing this he gets slammed into the boards on a brutal dirty hit. He is one tough player. Frederic has done nothing to impress me. He might be fine in a defensive role but I've hardly seen him touch the puck in 3 games. He just seems to float around and not get involved. I've read lots of good comments about him so I hope I'm missing something. This game today is an event and not really a measure of either team in the tournament . It will be interesting to see if they meet up again down the road in better conditions.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Bruins in Utica this evening. 1-0 after one. Clifton (Agostino, Senyshyn). Binnington in net.

2-0 after two. Czarnik with a late goal.

2-1 Bruins final

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad