Confirmed with Link: Gelinas to COL for a 3rd

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The idea that Gelinas isn't really an "offensive" defenseman just isn't true. He single-handedly transformed the powerplay when he was in the lineup, until this year when he was taken off it to "concentrate on his game" (aka let's not let him to do the only thing that makes him valuable).

The kid played at a 40 point pace as a 22 year old running our top powerplay unit with such offensive weapons as *crickets...crickets...*

And here's a list of all defensemen in the league's powerplay Pts/60 over the past 3 years:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ense&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

And he's 90th overall at 5v5 pts/60 over that timespan (Larsson's 65th):
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ense&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Don't get me wrong, I don't really miss him and I'm glad we got something of value for him before he likely washes out, but to say he doesn't have real offensive ability is incorrect.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
well sure, he def fired rockets, but that's like taking ovechkin's floating spot on the powerplay and personifying it into a person. he's offensive, yes, but a defenseman? ....maybe not yet. or possibly ever. hopefully he can figure it out but he's really gonna have to put two and two together

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
well sure, he def fired rockets, but that's like taking ovechkin's floating spot on the powerplay and personifying it into a person. he's offensive, yes, but a defenseman? ....maybe not yet. or possibly ever. hopefully he can figure it out but he's really gonna have to put two and two together

He should probably start with putting one and one together before moving on to the advanced stuff. :sarcasm:

But the point of my last post was that he's more than just a shot. He legitimately improves the powerplay, at least on the Devils, singlehandedly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He should probably start with putting one and one together before moving on to the advanced stuff. :sarcasm:

But the point of my last post was that he's more than just a shot. He legitimately improves the powerplay, at least on the Devils, singlehandedly.

Consider me a skeptic. Sure, what you posted looks great. But among the 101 defensemen who've played 200 PP minutes over the last 3 seasons, Gelinas ranks 101st in SF%. So while he can bomb the puck, and he's piled up plenty of shots and points, it's hard for me to imagine that his contributions are as gigantic as you say. He is more than a shot - he actively gives opponents more chances to shoot as well. And that is why he was benched - in the limited time he got this season on the PP, opponents have an insane 22 shots/60 against NJ. That is almost unfathomable. To put it in simple terms, the Devils get 23.8 shots/60 FOR at even strength. I mean, I think those numbers were unsustainable - Gelinas surely can't turn the puck over every time, can he? - but they were atrocious.

I suspect, given his minor league numbers, that Gelinas has gotten lucky assist-wise in his 300 minutes of PP time. I doubt you will see him sustain that rate going forward, but I also doubt that he remains in the NHL long enough for us to see whether or not that's the case.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He's basically Anton Babchuk. Big body, big shot, shows signs of good offensive production, but ultimately just doesn't think the game quick enough at the NHL level.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Our PP has been pretty damn good this year without him. I wouldn't say he ran the PP, they just set him up for one timers, that's all he can do. We have featured shooters with Palms and now a bit with Boucher anyway. Actually he's incapable of running a PP and distributing the puck like we run it now with one man up high (Schlemko).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Our PP has been pretty damn good this year without him. I wouldn't say he ran the PP, they just set him up for one timers, that's all he can do. We have featured shooters with Palms and now a bit with Boucher anyway. Actually he's incapable of running a PP and distributing the puck like we run it now with one man up high (Schlemko).

It really all it was. Just watch him back then and its easy to see how one dimensional his contributions were. At the start no one knew he had such a shot so they could just load the gun for him.

Then teams would start to overcompensate allowed the other 4 to have an easier time. Eventually teams figured out that he couldn't hit the damn net enough and he was so bad with his decision making that all they had to do was just get in his face and he would either miss badly (and he shot it so hard it would hit the boards and either go out of play or swing out of the zone) or he would just flat turn the puck over.

He provided next to nothing offensively 5 on 5. He has zero play making skills and he can't hit the net with any traffic in front of him, which is often and again its so easy to pressure him into making mistakes.

He is just a big shot that got hot in his first call up because other team's scouts took time to catch on to him.

He absolutely can't play defense. He literally doesn't know how to properly play his position and he was given time to try and figure it out and he has made zero progress since his first call up (he might of actually gotten worse).

He sucks period.

We robbed the Avs in the trade. They got nothing and gave up a third.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Interesting, I thought I read somewhere that the Avs started using a 1-3-1 system (I think it was from Friedman's 30 Thoughts...I'll have to find it)

You're right. I remember seeing that in Friedman's 30 thoughts as well.

He said that Colorado had been using this new 1-3-1 system and it was mainly effective against most opponents. Chicago was the one team he mentioned that didn't have many problems breaking it down.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's basically Anton Babchuk. Big body, big shot, shows signs of good offensive production, but ultimately just doesn't think the game quick enough at the NHL level.

My friend has been comparing Gelinas to Anton Babchuk all year long haha.

Roy's using the Guy Boucher system?! :laugh:
He and Guy must be friends!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad