Confirmed with Link: Gelinas to COL for a 3rd

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The interview on TSN was nice. He basically took all responsibility for his poor play. Had no bad things to say about the Devils.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
good for gelly he needed out of here... was given chances looked really good for a 4-5 game stretch this season and i thought he was turning the corner... but better for both parties hope he does well in colo.

Camille the Eel

I think his stock would have been higher before last season, that is the 2014-15 season, when Lou signed him to a one way contract if I remember it right. At that time people still saw the raw slap shot and thought he'd be at least a power play force.

But very possibly he would have brought then what he did today.

Good luck to him. I don't know why we ragged on him as much as we did, more than he deserved probably, maybe it had to do with that square jawed kind of hulking look as much as it had to do with his play.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Good luck to him. If he ever figures it out, I'll absolutely hate this trade...

but I just don't think he will.

Right now, I'm liking the 3.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think his stock would have been higher before last season, that is the 2014-15 season, when Lou signed him to a one way contract if I remember it right. At that time people still saw the raw slap shot and thought he'd be at least a power play force.

Of course we couldn't part with him cause he was by far our best offensive defensemen at that point. But even his offense regressed the last two seasons to the point where his other idiosyncracies just weren't worth it.

No Gelinas makes it that much more imperative Severson pans out, cause he's the only other young guy that has tools to be a plus offensive d-man. Larsson can get some assists but he's not going to be a big scorer.

Why are you so surprised? He's actually better than you think he is.

7 goals and 25 points in 95 games his last two years...his offense was underwhelming considering the tools he's supposed to have and his defense was bad. I'm stunned the return was still anywhere near a three.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Why are you so surprised? He's actually better than you think he is.

You put far too much stock in his shooting metrics while ignoring the sheltered, low competition minutes he plays and the blooper reel worth of mistakes he makes.

We're lucky we got a 3rd for him at all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It will be fun watching him try to defend in that wide open system Roy runs. He might do well offensively but it's going to be an unmitigated disaster in the defensive zone.

If they can get him open to shoot and he actually hits the net (which he can't do a lot). He isn't a smart passer and they are going to hate his defensive miscues.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The funny thing is I joked about a month ago about Gelinas playing in the Q when Roy coached there and trying to sucker him into taking him.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
You put far too much stock in his shooting metrics while ignoring the sheltered, low competition minutes he plays and the blooper reel worth of mistakes he makes.

We're lucky we got a 3rd for him at all.

It's not the metrics where I get my opinion from. It's the eyetest. Without even looking at the metrics I could have told you Gelinas was actually better than what you guys think. The metrics only confirmed my opinion.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's not the metrics where I get my opinion from. It's the eyetest. Without even looking at the metrics I could have told you Gelinas was actually better than what you guys think. The metrics only confirmed my opinion.

In heavily sheltered minutes.

Any time he was in a reasonably tough defensive situation, he always panicked, struggled, or made a bone-headed mistake.

Nothing you look at number-wise will be able to show that.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
In heavily sheltered minutes.

Any time he was in a reasonably tough defensive situation, he always panicked, struggled, or made a bone-headed mistake.

Nothing you look at number-wise will be able to show that.

You won't see me disagree with any of this. The question is, why is playing sheltered minutes a negative? That's the role of bottom pairing defensemen.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I liked Gelinas but the lack of any defensive ability was concerning. It's a bitter pill because he looked so good two years ago but he's regressed big time contrary to what Hell Raiser wants to admit. Hopefully he gets a fair shot in Colorado but I'm not sold that he will. Regardless, the 3rd is more than I imagined we'd get for him.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
You won't see me disagree with any of this. The question is, why is playing sheltered minutes a negative? That's the role of bottom pairing defensemen.

If you think he's a bottom pairing defenseman, why do you always argue that he is so good and better than Devils fans give him credit for? :confused:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad