Confirmed with Link: Gelinas to COL for a 3rd

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Plus the third pairing has to be able to play SOME defense even with protected zone starts. Gely so far hasn't shown it. I just don't see the Avs liking this trade.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I don't know where to assign blame, but it's an absolute shame they couldn't make things work with Gelinas. He's got so much potential and I genuinely hope he can turn his career around with this change of scenery.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We've had great performances from 3rd pairing defensemen in this franchise's history. Look no further than Tommy Albelein.

But it's moot because he wasn't a 3rd pairing defenseman. The coaching staff didn't trust him because of his abhorrent decision making skill. He's just bad.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You won't see me disagree with any of this. The question is, why is playing sheltered minutes a negative? That's the role of bottom pairing defensemen.

Sure, you can say that.

However, I would rather my bottom-pairing defender at least be competent enough to go up against better players if need be. Any time Gelinas saw an aggressive forecheck or went up against better players, he seemed to always make mistakes.

Regardless, the root of my problems with Gelinas is that any time a difficult defensive situation occurred, he always struggled and rarely ever made a good play. As a defender, that really scares me. I didn't see anything over the last three years to think he would be able to improve that part of his game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think his fate was sealed when Schlemko was signed, it was obvious he'd be the odd man out.

But in the past, he was producing a lot of offense. Even though he was terrible at playing defense.

This year, he stopped producing offense and might have arguably looked the worst he has defensively.

It seems he gets worse defensively every year, even though he'll go through a couple weeks where he looks good or competent at least. He also got pushed around too much, even by little guys out there. Such a big and impressive physique, yet he got shoved around by little scrawny mother****ers all the time. It was so frustrating.

I will miss his offense, but we haven't seen a lot of it since his rookie year in 13-14. I think Pete was wrong to scratch him a lot that year, when we needed offense. He was hot that year too, produced a half a point per game. But then the offense dried up. He was still given a hell of a lot more chances by Hynes than Matteau was.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I won't be needing this anymore

2n994ra.jpg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He also didn't have much of a brain.

If there was ever anyone that was more in need of one than that scarecrow from the wizard of oz. :shakehead

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Gelinas is not a 3rd pairing guy, at least not a competent one. He belongs in the minors, Shero robbed the Avs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know where to assign blame, but it's an absolute shame they couldn't make things work with Gelinas. He's got so much potential and I genuinely hope he can turn his career around with this change of scenery.

He really doesn't. He has some good physical tools, but every indication is he completely lacks the hockey sense to be a proper NHL player.

His positioning was constantly bad. He decision making was bad. Basically everything that involved thinking or understanding your position he was bad at.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he'll need to start producing at offense like he did in 13-14, if he wants to make it in the league. Or at least at a much better rate than he was averaging the last two years.

There's plenty of bad defensive defensemen that produce a lot of offense, he just produced hardly anything anymore.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
stats don't say much. read their GDT, they threw him on a higher pairing due to bad chemistry of other pairs, and all their fans were complaining about were his reaction time and speed. i'm sure the +1 is situational. someone had mentioned that he had to get bailed out.

i didnt watch the game….just reading the boxscore for ***** and giggles….and ya, obviousy it doesnt tell the whole story

sucks that theyre not happy…….oh well, they still have their cup chaser iginla to fawn over

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
The thing about Gelinas is that he isn't really and offensive defensemen either, he is just classified that way because of his gsot and lack of defense, he just isn't that good of a hockey player, and a 3rd for him is pretty good value

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
in other news, they weren't impressed w boedker either, so whoever called it (that boedker really isn't impressive, especially statistically), nice job.

tho, 1 game sample size haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad