Confirmed with Link: Gelinas to COL for a 3rd

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Better return than I thought we'd get for Gelinas, to be honest. Wish him well, but it was best to move on from him. He just wasn't working out here.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Warofsky makes sense as a Gelinas replacement. I'm not sure Shero makes this move if he doesn't claim Warofsky first. In this case it's basically replacement of Gelinas with what Shero probably sees as a superior asset (Warofsky) and a free pick.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It was definitely time to move on from both sides.

Happy with the third round pick, I have this feeling he is going to put up a good amount of points over the next couple weeks while Colorado tries to push the offense out of him.

In the end though, I don't ever think he's going to be a good enough defender to be a consistent NHL defender.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
Get a 3rd of a former 2nd rounder. Gelinas just couldnt get his head to make solid reads in the defensive zone. Maybe francois beauchaim? Can get him in line for better play.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It was definitely time to move on from both sides.

Happy with the third round pick, I have this feeling he is going to put up a good amount of points over the next couple weeks while Colorado tries to push the offense out of him.

In the end though, I don't ever think he's going to be a good enough defender to be a consistent NHL defender.

Not to start an argument but how in the world could it be time to "move on" after only 156 games of a player that was known to be a project since the day he was drafted?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Not to start an argument but how in the world could it be time to "move on" after only 156 games of a player that was known to be a project since the day he was drafted?

Gelinas clearly wasn't happy with his role here, and I wouldn't be surprised if he requested a trade. I certainly wouldn't hold it against him. You don't want someone hanging around who is disgruntled and who doesn't add much value to the team.

This is best for both the organization and the player.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
6FA8YCE.gif

Fine by me. NEXT.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

A little of what FMASC said, but also, John Moore clearly passed him in managements eyes. Helgeson seems to have won over the coaching staff as well. We still have Merrill and, possibly, Schlemko around.

He fell victim to a bit of a numbers game. Add to that we claimed Warsofsky who is essentially Gelinas' replacement and we're giving up Gelinas for a pick while getting a guy that should be able to do what Gelinas has done of late.

This coaching staff gave him chances at times, but he was just never able to iron out his defensive mistakes.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for that ot win against the Rangers in 2013, about the only really good thing he's ever done here.

He's not even worth a 3rd round pick so this is a great deal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Gelinas clearly wasn't happy with his role here, and I wouldn't be surprised if he requested a trade. I certainly wouldn't hold it against him. You don't want someone hanging around who is disgruntled and who doesn't add much value to the team.

This is best for both the organization and the player.

I would bet money he asked for a trade given his situation and who his agent is.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
if gelly was an animal, he'd be a really cute and loyal german shepherd with the ability to rip someones throat out, but just sucked at protecting his owner. i'll miss him a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad