OT: Geek Haven: Comic Books, Comic Book movies, RPG's, Star Wars etc thread

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
SNME roars into a new year and begins a clear path to the Pontiac Silverdome. In this episode we review the happenings on syndicated TV in December of 1986 up to the big show as well as some key house show results. Andre's reinstatement, the Piper vs Adonis feud, Hogan vs Kamala, a defining Bulldogs title defence in Hamilton and the Bunkhouse Battle Royals are all key. This all will set the table for Part 2 and the SNME card that features the first cage match in national television history.
Saturday Night’s Main Event IX, January 4th, 1987 Part 1 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession
Follow us on:
Twitter/X @LegWreObsession
Patreon patreon.com/LegendaryWrestlingObsession

QSYk5C2.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Legendary Wrestling Obsession Podcast: It's the start of arguably the biggest year in wrestling... the January 1987 Saturday Night's Main Event is on deck. We take a brief detour to visit a dream match from the house shows as reluctant partners Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper team up against Mr Wonderful and the KING Harley Race. Then it's off to the big blow off of the Hogan/Orndorff feud with an epic cage match. Savage defends his title vs the Animal George Steele, while WM III takes shape with Piper and Adonis and JYD vs Race. We know whose feet touched first!!! Do you? Either way join us for another classic SNME episode.
Saturday Night’s Main Event IX, January 4th 1987 Part 2 CORRECTED | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:

coS7wdj.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Legendary Wrestling Obsession Podcast:
It's the start of the long road to WrestleMania III and a classic SNME from Detroit. Before we can get there we have to follow the critical developments of January and early February 1987. Piper's Pit becomes the focal point of Andre's return and the first hints of the match of the century. The British Bulldogs defend their belts against the Hart Foundation AND Danny Davis and we wrap the show up with an entertaining tag match with Hogan and Steamboat facing Savage and the Honky Tonk Man. It's part 1 of 3 on our way to the Silverdome!

Follow us on:

Saturday Night’s Main Event X, March 14, 1987 Part 1 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

EeYWfll.jpg

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
So some geeky stuff I am into:

Tabletop games:

Warhammer 40k
Warhammer Fantasy
Age of Sigmar
Marvel Crisis Protocol

Pro wrestling

Comic books (mainly Marvel/DC and from those two mostly Marvel)

Fantasy fiction
Sci fi fiction
Horror fiction

MST3K/Rifftrax

Reactions: Aggie204 and ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So some geeky stuff I am into:

Tabletop games:

Warhammer 40k
Warhammer Fantasy
Age of Sigmar
Marvel Crisis Protocol

Pro wrestling

Comic books (mainly Marvel/DC and from those two mostly Marvel)

Fantasy fiction
Sci fi fiction
Horror fiction

MST3K/Rifftrax
Excellent list, my friend. We have a lot in common!

I never could get into Age of Sigmar, but Warhammer Fantasy was my "first love" when it came to tabletop gaming, and my and my boys are working on some 6th edition WFB armies for some basementhammer. Also doing a 3rd edition 40K campaign among ourselves as that was always my favourite edition and played it by far the most.

I've never tried Crisis Protocol ... our other tabletop games are Flames of War and Star Wars: Legion. WRT the latter, I really resisted getting into that because we have so many other Star Wars themed board games, but it's a really excellent rules set. So I got sucked in. Also I discovered that Star Wars figures paint up a lot faster than Warhammer stuff because they don't have nearly so many little bits of kit and ornamentation.

Big fan of fantasy, Sci Fi here too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we (as in me and my 5 kids) also have enjoyed many hours of playing Genesys role playing system. A great streamlined/cinematic RPG system that works in any setting. We've done a gritty Aliens-style sci fi/horror campaign, a Dragonlance Campaign, and a 40K Inquistion-style campaign (but with my own setting). Unfortunately now that the older two are working we haven't had time to do Genesys for a while.

Reactions: The Hobgoblin

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone been playing Starfield?
Looks cool and the sort of game that would be up my alley storyline/setting-wise, but no I haven't. (A) I don't own a system that is capable of handling the requirements, and (B) I've never done a MMORPG because I've never had a time in my life where I was willing/able to invest the sort of time required to keep up with such things.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Not a good sign that Marvel chose to put Iron Man and Captain America in this final trailer.

the-critic-it-stinks.gif

What is really infuriating watching this bland, unimportant film is that Carol Danvers can be a great character.

All Disney needs to do is look at the source material like Carol and Tony Stark going to an AA meeting.

tony-stark-and-carol-danvers-in-an-aa-meeting-1.jpg

tony-stark-and-carol-danvers-in-an-aa-meeting-2.jpg

tony-stark-and-carol-danvers-in-an-aa-meeting-3.jpg

tony-stark-and-carol-danvers-in-an-aa-meeting-4.jpg

Instead, we get a character who is so "perfect" that she is boring and sterilized.

She's out of nowhere married to a dude for technical reasons!?!

Her girlfriend shows up out of nowhere to house Skrull refugees making Secret Invasion a waste of time.

I feel bad for Teyonah Paris and Iman Vellani for being thrown into this movie without a well written script.

It's too bad Kevin Feige has so little testosterone that he'd never consider this costume.

d54022491c457ea0b194e1ac9e7035dc.jpg

Last edited:

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Excellent list, my friend. We have a lot in common!

I never could get into Age of Sigmar, but Warhammer Fantasy was my "first love" when it came to tabletop gaming, and my and my boys are working on some 6th edition WFB armies for some basementhammer. Also doing a 3rd edition 40K campaign among ourselves as that was always my favourite edition and played it by far the most.

I've never tried Crisis Protocol ... our other tabletop games are Flames of War and Star Wars: Legion. WRT the latter, I really resisted getting into that because we have so many other Star Wars themed board games, but it's a really excellent rules set. So I got sucked in. Also I discovered that Star Wars figures paint up a lot faster than Warhammer stuff because they don't have nearly so many little bits of kit and ornamentation.

Big fan of fantasy, Sci Fi here too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we (as in me and my 5 kids) also have enjoyed many hours of playing Genesys role playing system. A great streamlined/cinematic RPG system that works in any setting. We've done a gritty Aliens-style sci fi/horror campaign, a Dragonlance Campaign, and a 40K Inquistion-style campaign (but with my own setting). Unfortunately now that the older two are working we haven't had time to do Genesys for a while.

Man after my own heart indeed! :D

1986 was a big year for me. My first introduction to the following:

Dungeons and Dragons
Heavy metal music
Warhammer fantasy battle
Robotech (the anime)
Robert Heinlein, J.R.R. Tolkien, Asimov, so many more authors

Yes, WHFB was my jam for yeeeaaars. First army was Dwarf then Chaos Dwarf and Undead (later Vampire Counts) and finally Dark Elves. Still have the Dark Elves. Lost the others sadly.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Looks cool and the sort of game that would be up my alley storyline/setting-wise, but no I haven't. (A) I don't own a system that is capable of handling the requirements, and (B) I've never done a MMORPG because I've never had a time in my life where I was willing/able to invest the sort of time required to keep up with such things.
It's not an MMO, thankfully, I don't like playing them. Single player game. It's possible to play it without a system with Xbox game pass on a smart TV and a controller. Not as good as on an Xbox or computer but surprisingly decent for cloud streaming. I play it on both (on my Series X and the upstairs TV)

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Man after my own heart indeed! :D

1986 was a big year for me. My first introduction to the following:

Dungeons and Dragons
Heavy metal music
Warhammer fantasy battle
Robotech (the anime)
Robert Heinlein, J.R.R. Tolkien, Asimov, so many more authors

Yes, WHFB was my jam for yeeeaaars. First army was Dwarf then Chaos Dwarf and Undead (later Vampire Counts) and finally Dark Elves. Still have the Dark Elves. Lost the others sadly.
Bretonnians have always been my army for WFB. I dabbled with Dwarfs briefly when 6th edition was first issued and completely neutered Bretonnia (plus my buddies played Empire and Chaos Warriors; first two armies to get army books so they stomped me so bad every game that we all lost interest and drifted to 40K). But I returned to Bretonnia when they got their army book ...then left tabletop gaming entirely for about ten years. Sold everything but have been rebuilding with my two sons for about the last 8 years or so.

What's your 40K poison? I run a Blood Angels successor chapter, Imperial Guard (Keath Korps of Krieg) and an Inquisition army (3rd ed Witch Hunters Codex).

Oh yeah, played lots of AD&D back in the day. Can't remember what year I started that, probably early 90s.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Bretonnians have always been my army for WFB. I dabbled with Dwarfs briefly when 6th edition was first issued and completely neutered Bretonnia (plus my buddies played Empire and Chaos Warriors; first two armies to get army books so they stomped me so bad every game that we all lost interest and drifted to 40K). But I returned to Bretonnia when they got their army book ...then left tabletop gaming entirely for about ten years. Sold everything but have been rebuilding with my two sons for about the last 8 years or so.

What's your 40K poison? I run a Blood Angels successor chapter, Imperial Guard (Keath Korps of Krieg) and an Inquisition army (3rd ed Witch Hunters Codex).

Oh yeah, played lots of AD&D back in the day. Can't remember what year I started that, probably early 90s.

40k I have so many:

Space Wolves
Death Guard
Dark Eldar (Drukhari)
Night Lords
Emperor's Children
Black Legion
Black Templars
Carcharadons Astra (Space Sharks)
League of Votann

My wife has threatened to leave if I start another 40k army lol

I have for Age of Sigmar my old Ogre Kingdoms from WHFB, Soulblight Gravelords for my Vampire Count and that's about it. If they come out with Chaos Dwarfs for either Old World or AOS I will get them. love, love chaos dwarfs and have a blast playing them in Total Warhammer 3 on PC

Reactions: ERYX

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
the-critic-it-stinks.gif

What is really infuriating watching this bland, unimportant film is that Carol Danvers can be a great character.

All Disney needs to do is look at the source material like Carol and Tony Stark going to an AA meeting.

Instead, we get a character who is so "perfect" that she is boring and sterilized.

Her girlfriend shows up out of nowhere to house Skrull refugees making Secret Invasion a waste of time.

I feel bad for Teyonah Paris and Iman Vellani for being thrown into this movie without a well written script.

It's too bad Kevin Feige has so little testosterone that he'd never consider this costume.

The movie studios aren't getting the message to slow down on the super hero movies. There has been way too many and it seems like the majority have "flopped" in recent years with some exceptions. People aren't going out as much and the glut of content is watering it all down. With some of the major stuff coming in the future I'm pretty worried. For example we know they have an "Avengers: Secret Wars" project on the books. Now calling Secret Wars - an Avengers movie is in itself problematic... but the bigger issue for someone like myself is that this is my favorite thing in comics and from what I can see the cast of characters is going to be 80 - 90% different than the original comics. I'd honestly prefer they call it something else and not even reference the source material since they will be flying so far away from it.

Reactions: Guardian17

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
the-critic-it-stinks.gif

The Cockrum-designed costume couldn't possibly be used in this day and age except at comic-cons and onlyfans pages, that has nothing to do with Feige's testosterone levels. I mean in Iron Man Tony and Rhodey are watching flight attendants pole dance, then the first couple Black Widow appearances have Scarlett Johanson butt shots and fanboy pleasing poses etc and those are Feige produced. I'm not defending Feige, just saying that women aren't going to be portrayed as fantasy objects any longer in a huge IP like Marvel. Times have changed.

That being said, an MCU pause would be a great idea to get reorganized and drum up some excitment again. I read that due to the SAG-AFTRA strike induced production delays Deadpool 3 is the only Marvel movie being released next year and that's a good thing.

PS I do love this costume, I'm a Dave Cockrum fan and he designed some fantastic costumes in the 70s & 80s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The movie studios aren't getting the message to slow down on the super hero movies. There has been way too many and it seems like the majority have "flopped" in recent years with some exceptions. People aren't going out as much and the glut of content is watering it all down. With some of the major stuff coming in the future I'm pretty worried. For example we know they have an "Avengers: Secret Wars" project on the books. Now calling Secret Wars - an Avengers movie is in itself problematic... but the bigger issue for someone like myself is that this is my favorite thing in comics and from what I can see the cast of characters is going to be 80 - 90% different than the original comics. I'd honestly prefer they call it something else and not even reference the source material since they will be flying so far away from it.

Calling it only Secret Wars or Avengers: something else won't get people out as much as calling it Avengers: Secret Wars. But I get your point.

I believe this is going to be based on the 2015 Secret Wars crossover, not the1984 Secret Wars. The 2015 one was more of a multiversal crossover with different versions of heros and villians which is what I think they are building towards in the movie? It had a Battleworld but it was comprised of different multiverses instead of bits of planets and was created by the Beyonders (alien race). I don't think the movie is based on the 1984 Beyonder (singular) watching a handful of heros fight villians so you are probably safe on it not being tarnished.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Calling it only Secret Wars or Avengers: something else won't get people out as much as calling it Avengers: Secret Wars. But I get your point.

I believe this is going to be based on the 2015 Secret Wars crossover, not the1984 Secret Wars. The 2015 one was more of a multiversal crossover with different versions of heros and villians which is what I think they are building towards in the movie? It had a Battleworld but it was comprised of different multiverses instead of bits of planets and was created by the Beyonders (alien race). I don't think the movie is based on the 1984 Beyonder (singular) watching a handful of heros fight villians so you are probably safe on it not being tarnished.
OK that makes sense. My knowledge of comic books ended in the late 80's early 90's beyond what I've picked up from TV and movies. Part of me wants them to just lean into the original and actually deliver that but I get why they can't. I mean the real beauty of the original was in bringing the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-MEN plus Spidey and others together against many of the top villains. What bigger draw could there have been then that. But I get just tapping into the existing characters that have been created over the past decade plus.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Has anyone been playing Starfield?
I avoid playing new releases. I’d rather play them after the bugs are sorted out, the modders have improved it, and the price has been discounted.

So what I am currently playing? Wizardry 4 (1987 CRPG).

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I invite people to catch up on last weeks episode of Legendary Wrestling Obsession.
It was a bit of a special show as it focused heavily on Jake the Snake and the feud with Hogan that never was... EXCEPT that it WAS here in Winnipeg. The February 1987 match between the two and so much more is on the table we set up the next instalment of Saturday Night's Main Event (March 14th, 1987).

Follow us on:

Saturday Night’s Main Event X, March 14th, 1987 Part 2 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

lKIVzGX.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest