OT: Geek Haven: Comic Books, Comic Book movies, RPG's, Star Wars etc thread

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Legendary Wrestling Obsession Podcast:

WrestleMania III is just around the corner and a marquee Battle Royal serves as the first step in the Hogan vs Andre feud. Elizabeth is the prize in a Macho Man title defence and the new tag champs the Hart Foundation are tested by the unlikely team of Santana and Spivey. We talk Roddy's retirement and more on wrestling video games. Don't miss it!

Follow us on:

Twitter/X @LegWreObsession

Saturday Night’s Main Event X, March 14, 1987 Part 3 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession
GwNy81q.jpg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
OK that makes sense. My knowledge of comic books ended in the late 80's early 90's beyond what I've picked up from TV and movies. Part of me wants them to just lean into the original and actually deliver that but I get why they can't. I mean the real beauty of the original was in bringing the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-MEN plus Spidey and others together against many of the top villains. What bigger draw could there have been then that. But I get just tapping into the existing characters that have been created over the past decade plus.
Interesting. I'm in the same boat with stopping my comics run in the late 80s, so that era holds the most memories (well, the late 60s moreso as a kid reading them for the first time...).

I think Marvel in movies has hit a wall to a degree. Disney is just too much of a machine, pumping out too much material all the time. Obviously that's to their benefit financially, so long as they succeed, but I think they're trying for too much, too often. That applies beyond Marvel as well (see: Star Wars).

I've really enjoyed the Marvel run of movies for the most part. I've been able to not be hyper-critical, in spite of being active in many online communities. I was always amazed at the popularity, especially being old enough to have grown up in the era where nerdy stuff wasn't really all that cool, or accepted by the mainstream. Probably why Peter Parker resonated so much. But I suppose it helps to have some very beautiful people being very fit on screen and the CGI obviously made a lot more possible. But they've written a number of those actors out now functionally.

Burn out is real, even if something is really good.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

We're back in Crockett country and working our way to the July 26th, 1986 Bash card. On the way we had to stop and pay homage to a very special episode of JCP's flagship show World Championship Wrestling. The July 12th episode is no ordinary syndicated show and features Tully vs Wahoo, the Road Warriors challenging the Midnight Express for tag team gold and we get a peek at a 6-man bunkhouse match between the American Dream & Rock N Roll Express vs 3 of the Four Horsemen! Join us for an electric ride through the greatest summer in JCP/NWA history.

Follow us on:

Great American Bash 1986 Set Up show, July 12th WCW Episode | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

aqhEG7I.jpg

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Happy that CM Punk is back in WWE. He got such a raw deal in AEW. Glad he's in a place without children pretending to be EVPs.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
executive vice presidents. The Elite guys in AEW are horrible people and went out of their way to run him out of AEW because they are jealous of his star power.
Ahhh gotcha. Just looked at their corporate tree and I see Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks are EVPs so I guess due to them? I thought Chris Jericho was also some kind of an exec with them?

I havent watched AEW much. Roster isn't bad it, they have enough up and comers and some WWE legends sprinkled in to have a good product but I didn't find what they were doing all that excting when I HAVE tuned in. A little too much Jericho appreciation society etc. That was fun when Jericho and Kevin Owens were doing a similar thing in WWE a few years ago but like most wrestling gimicks, it gets stale after awhile.

Reactions: The Hobgoblin

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

It's the week before the monumental July 26th Bash card in Greensboro and another special edition of World Championship Wrestling from an arena show. The Rock 'N Roll Express face the Andersons in a classic match, Sam Houston steps up to take on Tully and we get another showdown between Jim Cornette and Baby Doll. Your hosts do the math on Flair's 14 Bash challengers and we announce our plans for a Christmas show to end the year. Forget about your worries for a while and take a trip with us through the best of times for Jim Crockett Promotions!

Great American Bash 1986, Set Up show, July 19th WCW Episode | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:
Patreon patreon.com/LegendaryWrestlingObsession

fLy2fkW.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Time to get caught up on last weeks show.

It's the Greensboro Coliseum and the peak of Jim Crockett Promotions hottest summer. The Bash is nearly done and the feuds are boiling over. Tom Miller lays down an iconic greatest of all time ring announcement of the winner of the cage match between the Nature Boy and the American Dream, Magnum tries to keep Nikita from sweeping the best of seven series and the Road Warriors play second fiddle in their own match as body guards for Baby Doll. All that and a lot more on a mega sized episode of Legendary Wrestling Obsession!

Great American Bash July 26th, 1986 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:

JJUSKEU.jpg

To help celebrate the holidays the Legendary Wrestling Obsession Podcast is taking a trip back to the a comfy Christmas night in 1982 at Reunion Arena in Dallas. It's Christmas Star Wars, Texas style! The NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair is in town to defend his crown against Kerry Von Erich as they continue their feud and the long chase for the family to capture the title. Kevin defends his American Heavyweight Championship against Bundy, we see a crazy Battle Royal with a Pole stipulation and the finals of a tournament to crown the first ever 6 Man Tag Champions. We talk a little about the actual Star Wars. It's a great way to close out the first calendar year of our show. Keep your ears open for an upcoming Iron Claw review and in January we'll return to March/April 1987 on our way to the 11th edition of Saturday Night's Main Event!

WCCW Christmas Star Wars 1982 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:

AayngzH.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Welcome to a special holiday edition of the Legendary Wrestling Obsession Podcast. Your hosts are tackling something a little different here. We went to see the new movie the "Iron Claw" based on the Von Erich wrestling family. Spoiler Alert this episode will discuss most aspects of the movie and you'll want to see the movie before listening if that is important to you. Check it out to see what we thought of the movie and whether we recommend you to see it or not. We also have some good laughs about our Christmas Dinner's and Geoff losing a fight with a 4-year old. It's the last show of 2023, Happy New Year!

Iron Claw Movie Review | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:
Facebook Page - Legendary Wrestling Obsession

l1lQEOI.jpg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Welcome to a special holiday edition of the Legendary Wrestling Obsession Podcast. Your hosts are tackling something a little different here. We went to see the new movie the "Iron Claw" based on the Von Erich wrestling family. Spoiler Alert this episode will discuss most aspects of the movie and you'll want to see the movie before listening if that is important to you. Check it out to see what we thought of the movie and whether we recommend you to see it or not. We also have some good laughs about our Christmas Dinner's and Geoff losing a fight with a 4-year old. It's the last show of 2023, Happy New Year!

Iron Claw Movie Review | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:

l1lQEOI.jpg

I saw this movie a few days ago and found it okay.

The actor who portrayed Ric Flair was the only disappointment for me.

They should've cast Jay Lethal.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I saw this movie a few days ago and found it okay.

The actor who portrayed Ric Flair was the only disappointment for me.

They should've cast Jay Lethal.

Everyone knows many people who could have done a better Flair impression than that. I think they made a choice to not try to do that direct of an impression. I'm not sure why but it was weird.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Legendary Wrestling Obsession Podcast

It's a new year and we're back from the break with a mega-sized episode to set up the May 87 SNME card. We've got some great action from the Spectrum but the real meat of the show comes in the form of the Frank Tunney Sr. Memorial Cup Tag Team Tournament from March 15th, 1987 in Toronto. Plus the final (original run) Piper's Pit and some board game talk.
Follow us on:

Saturday Night’s Main Event XI, May 2nd, 1987 Part 1 F.T.S.M. Cup | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

pvghkRH.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

This episode features a "What If" segment on WrestleMania III matches and storylines, and dives deep into the return of the Olympic strong man Ken Patera. We look back to a couple of classic encounters with Andre and Hogan to help set the return of a very different character. All that and a story about a very expensive flight for Jerry Saggs. This show wraps up the set up and gets us to the big card next week.

Saturday Night's Main Event XI, May 2nd, 1987 Part 2 - Ken Patera Returns | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:

9LVEqHb.jpg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

This episode features a "What If" segment on WrestleMania III matches and storylines, and dives deep into the return of the Olympic strong man Ken Patera. We look back to a couple of classic encounters with Andre and Hogan to help set the return of a very different character. All that and a story about a very expensive flight for Jerry Saggs. This show wraps up the set up and gets us to the big card next week.

Saturday Night's Main Event XI, May 2nd, 1987 Part 2 - Ken Patera Returns | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:

9LVEqHb.jpg

I remember watching the Heenan / Patera debate!

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Anyone here into 4k bluray? I just bought Jaws 45th anniversary edition on 4k disc...looks amazing! My next purchase will be Opennheimer, then Dunkirk. I got back into physical media because I am tired of paying for all the streaming services. Also I still have a pile of regular DVD's that I nearly threw away a few years ago...glad I didn't because they still look pretty good.
The other reason I rather buy the discs is because the streaming quality is not even close to 4k disc and also because streamers are editing some movies.
It's a good hobby but expensive unless you buy used discs or find deals on Amazon etc.
You do need a good 4k bluray player to see the results but for me it's worth it!

Reactions: Huffer

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

It's the big night and the campus of the Fighting Irish is the setting for a great SNME card. The main event is actually a dark match which we re-imagine at the end of the show but we are treated to a Jake vs Kamala match, a lumber jack match to end a feud, a best 2 out of 3 falls tag title match, the first televised title defence of the Dragon and a lot more. The WWF is riding the wave of momentum from WrestleMania III and we are there to cover it.

Saturday Night's Main Event XI, May 2nd, 1987 Part 3 - The Show | Legendary Wrestling Obsession

Follow us on:

6AVlWcd.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad