GDT: GDT #80 New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | April 13th | 12:30 PM | F/3-2 SOL

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The point was big. We knew this one was going to be real hard during the day and without Dobson.

This said, can't lose a draw late in the game as easily as Horvat lost to Trocheck on that Panarin goal. It was as perfect a faceoff win as you can get. Gotta just go for the neutralization every time in your own end.

And honestly, the boyz had more than enough opportunities to put this one away. Tons of good chances. If Panarin had half the chances Pageau and Fasching had, he's have had the trick tonight.

One thing should be crystal clear to any and everyone in Islandersville - Sorokin does not win shootouts. He's just brutal in the shootout. Roy is new, but I'd have to think you simply have to put Varlamov in there for that part of the game, no matter what.

Sorokin is THAT bad.
Yeah it was perfect shot also, the two draws they won prior to that and the icings bit them.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
When they mentioned the Rangers had (13) 3rd period comebacks this season...i just kept thinking that, well......that is about the amount we have blown. :laugh:

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
pretty good game 5 on 5; but the ridiculously bad PP really hurt. Also, glad there's no shootout in the playoffs - terrible way to decide a game, and Sorokin is just flat out bad in shootouts
Can you pull a goalie after the OT period and insert a back up goalie for the shoot out?. Because I'd rather a non-warmed up Varly than sorokin

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I thought after they woke up half way through the first, that they played a good road game. But Aho spent a good part of the game on his rear, and I thought 44 was rather vanilla today. Other than that minus Dobson very good effort.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I thought after they woke up half way through the first, that they played a good road game. But Aho spent a good part of the game on his rear, and I thought 44 was rather vanilla today. Other than that minus Dobson very good effort.
FanDuel should have over/under on how many times Aho will be on his ass.

Unfortunately, he sucks.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Panarin's snap from near the right faceoff circle from Sorokin's right was definitely a downer, but good for the Isles to push the game to OT, earn a point, the shootout, where the Rags won in a skills competition during the shootout.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Panarin's snap from near the right faceoff circle from Sorokin's right was definitely a downer, but good for the Isles to push the game to OT, earn a point, the shootout, where the Rags won in a skills competition during the shootout.
They had a chance to win it in OT, but nope…

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
was looking for more from Horvat and Barzal but glad other top six guys stepped up. Good solid road point, had our chances. Good signs. Not sure the rags want to play us. They most likely beat us but the Isles will take a few pounds of flesh and put a scare into them

Reactions: CupHolders

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
…any talk of rempe et al? Real big nothing burger, eh?
He played 5 minutes and looked irrelevant out there. He couldn’t start his antics and I’m sure the refs warned the coaches if anything carry over stupidity happens, they’ll just toss guys.

Reactions: Big L

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The talk about brutal special teams should not be surprising, we know this team is built to sneak into the playoffs and try to grind out series wins by being the better 5v5 team where less penalties are called.

Hate that continued strategy all you want (I do), but that’s the strategy.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
He played 5 minutes and looked irrelevant out there. He couldn’t start his antics and I’m sure the refs warned the coaches if anything carry over stupidity happens, they’ll just toss guys.
Pretty much. Dude is a waste of a roster spot, too bad isles couldn’t capitalize. All the hand wringing about rempe being in the lineup, lmao

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Good for Sorokin to redeem himself and put together two straight solid games.

Palms, Fasching, and Romanov had excellent games.

Yeah, and Barzal - whatever. LMAO at the carrying the tram crowd and big game player crowd. He was APB, a -2, and with the win on his stick…nope.
That second negative came on a cleanly blown face-off by Horvat. Leaving Horvat -2 and costing the lead. So yeah, that whole line needed more.

Even Nelson, crapped the first goal before finally stepping it up.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Pretty much. Dude is a waste of a roster spot, too bad isles couldn’t capitalize. All the hand wringing about rempe being in the lineup, lmao
Even Johnston did more and his roster spot was just about the same waste. It was all smoke in mirrors to get more calls when that backfired on Laviolette.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
In all honesty, with his size and mobility Rempe can be a great bottom six project. If he can turn out a career like Matt Martin, that would be a great pick at that spot.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The talk about brutal special teams should not be surprising, we know this team is built to sneak into the playoffs and try to grind out series wins by being the better 5v5 team where less penalties are called.

Hate that continued strategy all you want (I do), but that’s the strategy.
I can accept the inconsistent PP since there is a precedence. But the PK crashing the way it has this season doesn't make as much sense. That was never a weakness much less bottom level quality.

In must-win situation like this, with a usually bold guy like Patrick, I'm shocked he didn't pull the goalie in OT.
But it's not a mathematical must-win. Not at the risk of losing the point already earned if they surrendered an OT EN goal.

Last edited:

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
In must-win situation like this, with a usually bold guy like Patrick, I'm shocked he didn't pull the goalie in OT.
That would have been a dumb as fvck thing to do.

In all honesty, with his size and mobility Rempe can be a great bottom six project. If he can turn out a career like Matt Martin, that would be a great pick at that spot.
Problem with that is guys like Martin are dinosaurs in today’s NHL. Just about useless. Much like the meteor, they’re extinct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad