Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
You are right, one game out of 82......the absolute f***ing horror of it all,

Honestly, it's a miracle we all survived, I hope they learned their lesson to NEVER EVER put us in that position again, the indignity of it all.....man, make sure you mark yourself save from insignificant pissant details that don't mean f***all....
the only reason they avoided it is bc RV happened to sustain an LTIR injury. you cant possibly be this dense.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think the Fiala/Faber trade is arguably Blake’s biggest mistake behind PLD. And I’m a guy who defended Fiala vociferously, especially during his first year here.

Brock Faber is a bonafide #1 all situations defenseman. It’s undeniable now. He has exponentially more value than a player like Fiala.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Sports is a meritocracy, it is in most places around the league but not in LA.

Brock Faber was a better player this year than any defenseman on the Kings, that alone would have gotten him into the lineup anywhere else in the league. You think other teams are saying "We have this kid who is one of the best defensive players in the world on a $925k ELC, but we can't play him because of Matt Roy and Jordan Spence" ? That is complete lunacy and is not happening elsewhere. You have this belief that young players don't knock down doors and take spots, when that happens everywhere. Do you think if the Wild had Doughty, Roy and Spence that they wouldn't have played Faber? ZERO chance he doesn't play.

The Kings have a horrific track record of integrating young players into the lineup (especially without AHL time), don't make the mistake of thinking that the rest of the league is so clueless, especially with a huge talent like Faber. Brock Faber would have been playing, and playing a lot for every team in the NHL. There is not a team in the league where he wouldn't be one of the 2-3 best defenseman.
For the bold part, A) I don't have this belief, I know it happens. But also B) can you name 2-3 young players from around the NHL this season who knocked down doors and forced legitimately good, proven, healthy (because part of my point was that the Spurgeon injury played a role in Faber getting more ice time in an elevated role) NHL players down the lineup because they were just so insanely good??

Genuine question. Because while I agree it does happen, I certainly wouldn't say it happens often. Honestly, it's pretty damn rare. And it's ESPECIALLY rare when the young player belongs to a playoff team.

I mean I'm thinking maybe Wyatt Johnston from the Stars.. But also that was last year. I'm also pretty sure injuries played a part in Johnston getting his original opportunity (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

Sure, there's young players who make big impacts and push veterans down the lineup but a vast majority of the time that happens it's with non-playoff teams and the veterans the young player pushes down the lineup weren't great players to begin with. Or, it happens when a playoff team loses a guy to injury and a young player gets an unexpected opportunity for a bigger role as a result.

Seriously I've been looking at rosters for the past 20 mins just going "nope.... Nope.... Nope, no one on this roster either." So I'm genuinely interested to hear where all these rookies (or just young players on ELCs) are that are breaking down doors and forcing good NHL players down the lineup.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
the only reason they avoided it is bc RV happened to sustain an LTIR injury. you cant possibly be this dense.

You realize that injury happened in pre-season right? You really think they couldn't have done ANYTHING except put him on LITR to get a full roster, nothing at all....not a thing?

Interesting.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
You realize that injury happened in pre-season right? You really think they couldn't have done ANYTHING except put him on LITR to get a full roster, nothing at all....not a thing?

Interesting.
It happened at the END OF THE PRESEASON. Their entire plan was to have a shortened roster because they didn't have cap room for a full 23. Either you are not working with a full tool set upstairs or you are arguing in the worst faith imaginable. No wonder half the board has you muted.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
No wonder half the board has you muted.
brrr.gif

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It happened at the END OF THE PRESEASON. Their entire plan was to have a shortened roster because they didn't have cap room for a full 23. Either you are not working with a full tool set upstairs or you are arguing in the worst faith imaginable. No wonder half the board has you muted.

You’re arguing with a turnip. Save yourself.

Reactions: tbrown33

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Did you read the article? They had a 21 man roster, can dress 20, lost one to suspension....for 1 game.....And clearly not the only team to do it,

But yes, again make a mountain out of a molehill because you don't understand how the cap is fluid day to day....

EDIT: Doesn't matter if they can carry 23 or 21....the only way it makes a difference, is on road trips.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For the bold part, A) I don't have this belief, I know it happens. But also B) can you name 2-3 young players from around the NHL this season who knocked down doors and forced legitimately good, proven, healthy (because part of my point was that the Spurgeon injury played a role in Faber getting more ice time in an elevated role) NHL players down the lineup because they were just so insanely good??

Genuine question. Because while I agree it does happen, I certainly wouldn't say it happens often. Honestly, it's pretty damn rare. And it's ESPECIALLY rare when the young player belongs to a playoff team.

I mean I'm thinking maybe Wyatt Johnston from the Stars.. But also that was last year. I'm also pretty sure injuries played a part in Johnston getting his original opportunity (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

Sure, there's young players who make big impacts and push veterans down the lineup but a vast majority of the time that happens it's with non-playoff teams and the veterans the young player pushes down the lineup weren't great players to begin with. Or, it happens when a playoff team loses a guy to injury and a young player gets an unexpected opportunity for a bigger role as a result.

Seriously I've been looking at rosters for the past 20 mins just going "nope.... Nope.... Nope, no one on this roster either." So I'm genuinely interested to hear where all these rookies (or just young players on ELCs) are that are breaking down doors and forcing good NHL players down the lineup.

On playoff teams

Knies walked out of college onto TO's top six

Brendon Brisson was getting minutes on a veteran laden VGK team

Holmstrom and Bolduc in NYI

Beecher and Lohrei in boston (though relegated when others are healthy)

On less than playoff teams

Slafkovsky immediately played on MTL's top line

Lane Hutson walked right in

thosre are literally all from the first 8 teams i looked at

It happens A TON

Reactions: tbrown33

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
an't make much of an argument when you, as GM, got the matchup you want, the players you got to 'fix' it (PLD and Fiala), and full health going at it, every condition you want, and objectively have a worse year in the regular season AND playoffs. Of course, the rumors of what that change will be are troubling...but for now, we wait.

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
I wish I could fail upward in life like Rob Blake. Going from the best prospect pool in all of hockey to 3 consecutive 1st round losses with less wins every season but still you get to have a job.

Even now it's still 50/50 if he goes. And it's 90/10 that Bergevin gets to fail upward into a new GM position, too.

Yay!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
fire Rob and Luc (neither will probably happen) and trade PLD for whatever you can get

i cant imagine Drew or Kopi feel good about the current situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad