GDT #2 New York Islanders vs Arizona Coyotes | October 17th | 7:30 PM | F/1-0 W

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I do like that Lee is laying huge hits in his new role

Also I think those unscreened shots were more credit to their D boxing out really well.

Mans game out there tonight

Reactions: JKP and NYI365

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
We're getting further away from Cup contention and Lou hasn't improved the scoring. That's the problem.

Ehh adding Horvat and Engvall at the deadline should improve the scoring over 82 games, also a PP goal tonight. I do agree they still need more up front, but I think overall this team is built to win a lot of 2-1/3-2 games.

Reactions: NYI365

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
As long as Horvat keeps pumping shots on goal, I’ll be happy/confident in him.

He might not be a 40+ goal scorer here (because of the way NYI plays) but SOG is a strong indicator of healthy play.

Eventually, he'll start hitting twine. As long as he plays a strong game, he'll be fine/we'll be good to go.

Reactions: seafoam

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I like how the isles are boring to the Yotes fans when their team had three shots a period. Rangers ran a 1-3-1 too, curious if they called them boring too.

Don’t pass up shots and over pass and hit the net and win a puck battle and you’ll like your team more !

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So our defense tonight included Aho plus three guys who are 23, 23 and 22. And they gave up 14 SOG in a 1-0 win. I'll take that. Good training for them for tight games and hopefully playoffs.

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
And I’m sure the team feels the same way.

The biggest thing is that they were able to play subpar hockey and bank two points in October.

Banking points early on is huge to playoff hopes.
They didn't play subpar hockey. It's not like they stole two points. They did everything but finish. But that has been an issue for a long time. When you outshoot a team 33-14 and out chance them by a 3 to 1 margin, it should not be a one goal game. Arizona scores a lucky goal and wins a shootout and the effort tonight nets a point and not two. Can't win one goal games every single night.

Reactions: redbull

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Re: Engvall and Horvat. I've liked their games. Engvall has grit to him that TO fans discredited or simply ignored. He uses his reach and body to make plays, and brings the speed all in one motion. He's an effective player on that 2nd line.

Horvat, as I stated, has looked good. He's here to score, and I do think the goals will come. He looks more assertive and comfortable this year. When he turns it up, he's a force. If he could put together 35 goal seasons, I am completely fine with him (which I think he can). 19 will not do it for me.

I like Lee on the grind line with JGP.

Two games in all four lines look effective, they just haven't produced. Not sure that will change, but if they play with this effectiveness and fluidity they make the games more interesting.

Reactions: Lek

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
great win...and fun to watch. big test friday.
thought Holmstrom looked really good.
overall all four lines played well.
for now would keep the third line as is for a while and let them gel, thought Fasching played ok.

Reactions: JKP

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Ehh adding Horvat and Engvall at the deadline should improve the scoring over 82 games, also a PP goal tonight. I do agree they still need more up front, but I think overall this team is built to win a lot of 2-1/3-2 games.
Engvall brings a lot to the game. Hilarious how he was described as soft and yet he may be our best winger on the wall in the D zone. He helps our defenseman tremendously.

Reactions: Lek

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
good to read this thread - missed the game and secretly thought it was the most boring game of all time given the shots....but seems like the team had some jump. It's a new season and even though the changes haven't been drastic, I'm sure it takes time to build chemistry (especially for Horvat/Engvall) - but two wins is two wins....bank it, bring on the next one.

And love the shutout.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I like the energy of the team tonight.

That said this is pretty much going to be the season. Struggling to get shots and score, but with Sorokin playing at a top level there will be a lot of 1 goal/close games.
They outshot them 31-13

We're getting further away from Cup contention and Lou hasn't improved the scoring. That's the problem.
JFC give it a rest.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Love how the 1st line has played the first two games. This will be HUGE for the team if they continue. Also, put me into the category of those who like Lee's game. I think he was especially solid last night and should excel in his new role.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Although part of it was killing penalties taking Clutterbuck's and Cizikas' time, Martin only played 11 shifts and 7:39, while Bolduc also played 11 to Aho's 19. Certainly looks like Pelech and Romanov split Bolduc's time in the 3rd period while protecting the lead (Pelech played 24:24 TOI). Pelech-Aho was out there together in the 3rd.

I suspect Lambert will not equally roll the 4 lines for now as a way to cut back on the wear and tear of the 4th line.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That was the most complete game we've seen from them in quite some time (going back to the previous season). They controlled the play for 50 minutes. The ten minutes they weren't was in the middle of the third but then they were able to regain control, which isn't something we're accustomed to seeing when the momentum swings in the opposite direction late.

Loved what the first line was doing again. Thought they had a lot of chances and were gelling pretty well. Horvat doesn't mind trying to beat guys 1 on 1 and that will prove to be useful moving forward.

The second line was great again. They compliment each other so well and Engvall creates a lot of problems with his speed.

Pageau and Lee were good last night, Fasching was okay. Lee looks like a completely different (better) player on the third line where the pace isn't as high as when he's playing with Barzal. The job is different and he made some crafty plays to maintain possession, protect the puck in rough positions, or gain center ice.

Fourth line showed well again but I don't really worry about them until we start getting into the meat of the season.

Defensively I thought everyone was fine. A few mistakes here or there but nothing crazy. Nice showing from the third pair who didn't try to do too much.

Sorokin barely had to work but made the saves necessary to win.

All around a nice effort from the team and they're definitely playing with more pace in the early going this season. We'll see if it can continue.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Although part of it was killing penalties taking Clutterbuck's and Cizikas' time, Martin only played 11 shifts and 7:39, while Bolduc also played 11 to Aho's 19. Certainly looks like Pelech and Romanov split Bolduc's time in the 3rd period while protecting the lead (Pelech played 24:24 TOI). Pelech-Aho was out there together in the 3rd.

I suspect Lambert will not equally roll the 4 lines for now as a way to cut back on the wear and tear of the 4th line.

Interesting, I thought the 4th line looked great last night. Probably because the were more fresh than usual.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So our defense tonight included Aho plus three guys who are 23, 23 and 22. And they gave up 14 SOG in a 1-0 win. I'll take that. Good training for them for tight games and hopefully playoffs.
I thought you couldn’t have Aho and Dobson on the same ice in the same game on the same team…

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Engvall brings a lot to the game. Hilarious how he was described as soft and yet he may be our best winger on the wall in the D zone. He helps our defenseman tremendously.

I love the way he backchecks and is great at breaking up passes. His speed and puck carrying ability is second only to Barzal on the team. The speed he brings helps a ton too.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3