GDT #2 New York Islanders vs Arizona Coyotes | October 17th | 7:30 PM | F/1-0 W

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
That was the most complete game we've seen from them in quite some time (going back to the previous season). They controlled the play for 50 minutes. The ten minutes they weren't was in the middle of the third but then they were able to regain control, which isn't something we're accustomed to seeing when the momentum swings in the opposite direction late.

Loved what the first line was doing again. Thought they had a lot of chances and were gelling pretty well. Horvat doesn't mind trying to beat guys 1 on 1 and that will prove to be useful moving forward.

The second line was great again. They compliment each other so well and Engvall creates a lot of problems with his speed.

Pageau and Lee were good last night, Fasching was okay. Lee looks like a completely different (better) player on the third line where the pace isn't as high as when he's playing with Barzal. The job is different and he made some crafty plays to maintain possession, protect the puck in rough positions, or gain center ice.

Fourth line showed well again but I don't really worry about them until we start getting into the meat of the season.

Defensively I thought everyone was fine. A few mistakes here or there but nothing crazy. Nice showing from the third pair who didn't try to do too much.

Sorokin barely had to work but made the saves necessary to win.

All around a nice effort from the team and they're definitely playing with more pace in the early going this season. We'll see if it can continue.

It'll be interesting to see how they manage loads on the back end, especially if there's an injury. Pulock, Pelech, and Dobber all played 25 minutes (obv special teams plays a part) and Bolduc played under 10. I don't mind sheltering him when and where they can, but they might need to even that out in the dog days.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It'll be interesting to see how they manage loads on the back end, especially if there's an injury. Pulock, Pelech, and Dobber all played 25 minutes (obv special teams plays a part) and Bolduc played under 10. I don't mind sheltering him when and where they can, but they might need to even that out in the dog days.
Just get the points now, don't fall behind, and worry about the dog days (and injuries) when they come to all teams.

I think the Isles stand a good chance to come out of October being 6-2.

Reactions: mm11

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
2 wins, good start
bottom line, we need production from our first line- shots are great, goals are necessary
if they are able to score, everything else falls into place

winning 1-0 games in which we dominate is very frustrating

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
2 wins, good start
bottom line, we need production from our first line- shots are great, goals are necessary
if they are able to score, everything else falls into place

winning 1-0 games in which we dominate is very frustrating
Line is going to the net, Horvat is playing a complete game (his last minute on the ice FW and hunger for the puck to protect the lead is unheralded, but super important to hold leads).

Barzal scored, which is promising, however, that shot was like a wiffle ball, but again, shoot at the net and things will happen, skating around the perimeter and/or into people, not much good does.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Line is going to the net, Horvat is playing a complete game (his last minute on the ice FW and hunger for the puck to protect the lead is unheralded, but super important to hold leads).

Barzal scored, which is promising, however, that shot was like a wiffle ball, but again, shoot at the net and things will happen, skating around the perimeter and/or into people, not much good does.
agreed!
was meant as a general statement- 2 games in, nobody can justify panicking even if we were blown out 5-0 each game

but this season will depend upon scoring- that is the most important aspect to progress
goalie is there, and D is likely too, with the hope that dobson and other young guys progress

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That was the most complete game we've seen from them in quite some time (going back to the previous season). They controlled the play for 50 minutes. The ten minutes they weren't was in the middle of the third but then they were able to regain control, which isn't something we're accustomed to seeing when the momentum swings in the opposite direction late.
A lil late to the program here but that was definitely the feeling at the game. The Islanders controlled that game to the point that when the Coyotes finally had a little jump, it was a surprise. I had to remind myself that this was a competitive NHL team that beat the Devils and had a one goal game with the Rags. The only thing that didn't happen was them scoring goals. But if you control the game the way they did, that will come.

Holmstrom really needs to get stronger.
D'ya think? I thought he looked like he belonged out there - physically and mature-wise. He didn't seem like he was playing not to make a mistake - he seemed like he was a part of the line. If he didn't get hacked, he probably would have scored and he almost had a nice baseball-esque goal (the kind that Barzy has scored a few times)....He'll get stronger still, I'm sure but he looked like he belonged. I hope he continues to thrive - that would be huge.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
A lil late to the program here but that was definitely the feeling at the game. The Islanders controlled that game to the point that when the Coyotes finally had a little jump, it was a surprise. I had to remind myself that this was a competitive NHL team that beat the Devils and had a one goal game with the Rags. The only thing that didn't happen was them scoring goals. But if you control the game the way they did, that will come.

D'ya think? I thought he looked like he belonged out there - physically and mature-wise. He didn't seem like he was playing not to make a mistake - he seemed like he was a part of the line. If he didn't get hacked, he probably would have scored and he almost had a nice baseball-esque goal (the kind that Barzy has scored a few times)....He'll get stronger still, I'm sure but he looked like he belonged. I hope he continues to thrive - that would be huge.
Agree with all of this

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I wouldn't bother saying he needs to get stronger if i thought he didn't belong. He can't muscle past anybody and in the NHL you aren't gonna be very effective if you lose the puck every time you are met with resistance. He's not overly fast, so he's gonna have to add muscle to win board battles and be able to retain the puck. I just think he's getting knocked off to easily, and because the skill and vision are there, i just hope he gets stronger. If you go back to the Buffalo GDT you'll see i specifically said he played like he belonged on the first line and it wasn't just an experiment. Just hope he gets stronger... quickly, lol.

Edit: did i mention i hope he gets stronger 0.o

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad