GDT: GDT #15 New York Islanders @ Vancouver Canucks | Bowie Horvat Returns | November 15th | Too Late EST (10) PM | F/4-3 OTL

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
and if they don't we're stuck in another circle of hell. 40 years since 1983. I don't want us to have another 1940 on our hands.
Seems it was like yesterday that firetruck with the players hoisting the Cup was driving down Hempstead Turnpike.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Re: the OT winner, there's blame to be shared by Barzal, Horvat and Pelech (although Pelech was playing a man, and in 3v3 the D doesn't always have to stay back so I actually cut him slack). As for Barzal or Horvat, I'm not a Barzal basher but let's not forget it was Quinn Hughes who he was covering and then left. If in football a fast CB was covering a fast WR and then left him for a linebacker to cover instead, there would be no question who was at fault. Barzal should have stayed with Hughes.

Barzal's issues can be summed up pretty easily, I think: "Make the simple play". If you have an open shot, take it. If you have an open teammate just pass it - don't hold it to wait for the perfect moment to create a grade AAA chance - just take what they're giving you. Or, if in OT you're covering the other team's best skater, stick with him - don't leave him to try to get to the puck to create an offensive chance. Does he not listen to coaches, or are they not telling him this?

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but at least twice during OT an Isles forward (maybe Palmieri and Holmstrom) tried to beat a guy wide and got steered to the boards and lost the puck. How does that even happen in 3v3 with all the open ice? They should know not to put themselves in that position where they give up possession so easily. I put that on coaching.
My guess is Barry had him reign in in years 1-3, once the team needed more offense, he wanted to be that guy and failed at it w/ or w/o approval in year 4. His bad habits started to show in year 4. He clearly checked out in the second half of that season when he wasn’t getting what he wanted from Barry.

Under Lambert, him and his staff have tried to focus the offense around him, which again has underwhelmed and more bad habits have been exacerbated because the staff is continuing to go down this path.

Lambert assistants should not have returned from last year.

The only way out of this mess, is trading Barzal as part of a disgruntled/contract disputed player.

A coaching change will help, but it’s not going to get a $9M player out of Barzal. That ship has sailed.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I didn’t watch the game so of course I’ll give my opinion.

3v3 OT and the shootout are bullshit parlor games so I can’t get too upset that we failed in that setting again. Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s part of the league scoring system so we should maximize our efforts to play that game. It’s still a minor issue for me.

When it comes down to it, I remained focused on our 90 minute game. Sounds like there were positives to take from last night’s effort against a good team but once again we cratered with the lead.

I’ve been in the pessimistic camp from the beginning of the season but there truly is time to turn this around. Tonight is only one game but I’d like to see a solid performance by our guys against a weak Seattle team that, like us, is coming off a b2b.
There were positives. Barzal's play of late for me is a huge positive. I don't feel that the team turtled in the 3rd. They played with intensity and by my observation were playing to win. In fact, they could have very well won this one on a couple of occasions late in the third. They fought the way I wanted them to fight. Perhaps there is still hope for this team. The penalty kills did us in and frankly that Vancouver team is scary. I wish our coach took notes on how a power play is ran. But some of those calls against and some of the missed calls were just ridiculous. Seems like the refs wanted Vancouver to win but thats the way things go when one team plays to win night after night. The refs tend to call in favor of those teams. That's just the way it goes.

My guess is Barry had him reign in in years 1-3, once the team needed more offense, he wanted to be that guy and failed at it w/ or w/o approval in year 4. His bad habits started to show in year 4. He clearly checked out in the second half of that season when he wasn’t getting what he wanted from Barry.

Under Lambert, him and his staff have tried to focus the offense around him, which again has underwhelmed and more bad habits have been exacerbated because the staff is continuing to go down this path.

Lambert assistants should not have returned from last year.

The only way out of this mess, is trading Barzal as part of a disgruntled/contract disputed player.

A coaching change will help, but it’s not going to get a $9M player out of Barzal. That ship has sailed.
Lol. You're crazy man.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Horvat is going to pick up that third man and is setting up the angle to do so, we just don't see that player on our screen. We see this on forechecks all the time. By setting up on the wall he's able to keep the third man behind him and contained if he takes the proper angle, angling him off if he gets the puck and forcing him to make a difficult play or curl back.

I don't think Horvat recognized that Barzal was leaving Hughes until Hughes was already gone. Barzal maintains okay position on Hughes until the last moment when he curls towards the offensive zone instead of back towards his own. By that time it was already too late. A clear miscommunication but one that can't happen in OT.
Earlier I was able to watch the clip again, I think I see now what you were referring to.

To me, on the second still Horvat seems to have committed to Barzal’s side unnecessarily. But off picture I had placed Miller in the near side corner. Or what would be just off of the bottom left corner of the still shot.

But on the video clip I see in that sequence Miller also continued behind Hughes around the back of the net. So I had envisioned Miller (off screen) in a different spot.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad