GDT: GDT #15 New York Islanders @ Vancouver Canucks | Bowie Horvat Returns | November 15th | Too Late EST (10) PM | F/4-3 OTL

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I'll check the score in the morning.

1700055028420.png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (5-6-3) AT VANCOUVER CANUCKS (11-3-1)

10 PM ET | ROGERS ARENA

WATCH: TNT | MAX

LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 1050AM

The New York Islanders are head to picturesque Vancouver in hopes of picking up a win against the Canucks on Wednesday night at Rogers Arena.

The Islanders’ winless streak grew to five games (0-4-1) on Monday night with a 4-1 loss to the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Place. Mathew Barzal scored 40 seconds into the game, but Leon Draisaitl responded with a goal at 14:17 to knot the score at one apiece, en route to a four-point night. The Oilers blew the game open in the final frame with goals from Zach Hyman (PPG) Connor McDavid (PPG) and Evander Kane (SHG, EN).

Ilya Sorokin stopped 28 of 31 shots in the loss, while Stuart Skinner made 32 saves in the Oilers’ second consecutive win. The Islanders’ penalty kill went 1-for-3 on Monday, while their power play went 0-for-3.

The Canucks are coming off a 5-2 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Sunday. Conor Garland (1G,1A), Ilya Mikheyev, Dakota Joshua (1G,1A), Brock Boeser (1G,1A) and Phillip Di Giuseppe found the back of the net in the win. Casey DeSmith made 30 saves.

The Islanders went 1-1-0 against the Canucks last season and are 5-0-2 in their last seven games against Vancouver on the road.

1700055074143.png

ISLANDERS NOTES​

- The Islanders picked up one of a possible 10 points in their last five games, which marks their longest winless skid since going winless in six consecutive games (0-4-2) from Jan. 16-25 last season.

- With Monday’s 4-1 loss to the Oilers, the Islanders fell below NHL -.500 for the first time since October 26, 2022, per Islanders team statistician Eric Hornick.

- Nearly 10 months after the trade, Bo Horvat is expecting heightened emotions in facing his former team for the first time in Vancouver on Wednesday.

“I’m going to be nervous and excited,” Horvat said on Monday. “So many emotions running through for Wednesday. I spent a long time there and built a family there, made a lot of friends [in Vancouver]. It’s going to be emotional, but it’ll be a fun night to be back there.”

Horvat wore the “C” for Vancouver for four of his nine seasons with the team. The center recorded 27 points (11G, 16A) through 43 games played as an Islander. Horvat was acquired by the Islanders on Jan. 30 in exchange for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and a conditional first-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, which was later dealt for defenseman Filip Hronek.

- Adam Pelech returned to the lineup on Monday, playing for the first time since Nov. 7.

- Mathew Barzal’s goal at the :40 second mark of Monday’s game marks the second time this season the Islanders were able to get on the board within the first minute of action.

- Brock Nelson tied a career-best 10 shots on goal on Monday.

CANUCKS NOTES​

- The Canucks are on a heater to start the season with a record of 11-3-1 – marking their best start in franchise history – and have won six of their last seven games. They stand second in the Pacific Division, two points behind the Vegas Golden Knights.

- Carson Soucy (lower-body) is not expected to face the Islanders on Wednesday. The defenseman left Sunday’s 5–2 win over the Montreal Canadiens and did not return. In a related move, the Canucks called up Akito Hirose from the AHL Abbotsford Canucks on Tuesday.

- The Vancouver Canucks placed forward Jack Studnicka on waivers Monday.

- Quinn Hughes has been having a dominant start to the season with five goals and 18 assists. His 23 points leads all NHL defensemen, while his 18 assists ties for the league best.

The 24-year-old spent parts of six seasons with Vancouver and was named its captain in September. Hughes succeeded Bo Horvat as captain.

- Beauvillier will face his former team for the second time since the trade. The 26-year-old forward has six points (2G, 4A) through 15 games this season. He scored both of those goals in his 500th NHL game on Nov. 2 against the Sharks.

- Elias Pettersson leads the NHL with 25 points (7G, 18A) in his sixth season with Vancouver. He broke triple digits in points last season, recording a career best 39 goals and 63 assists through 80 games.

- The Canucks own the league’s highest goals for average with 4.40 GF/GP.

- Their power play (31.6%) ranks third in the NHL.

Reactions: NYI365

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Gonna get in on this early.

Isles win tonight then lose to Seattle and beat San Jose.
DVRing this tonight. Hopefully it’s one that I’ll want to watch tomorrow.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
i'm staying up - eff that. VAN is a blast to watch, Quinn Hughes looks incredible this year, especially on the PP

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Beau will probably score 3 tonight and they’ll lose 4-2. 2 of his goals will come in the 3rd after leading 2-1 going into the period. Mayfield takes a cross checking penalty midway through the 3rd and looks confused while yelling at the ref that he did nothing leading to a Vancouver PPG.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
JT night 2.0 on deck. 5-1 Vancouver. Jeers at Bo all night.
I don't really understand how he did them dirty like JT did to us, but if they feel the need to boo, go right ahead. I'm not going to sit here and cry about it for years like every Toronto fan.

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
I don't really understand how he did them dirty like JT did to us, but if they feel the need to boo, go right ahead. I'm not going to sit here and cry about it for years like every Toronto fan.
I think their animosity stems from a diss Horvat gave the city of Vancouver after a post-game interview last year. Horvat said something undiplomatic to the UBS crowd like "it's a lot better here than Vancouver".

I'm also fine if they boo him (especially if the Isles stink up the joint again), but at least Vancouver got assets back when their captain jumped ship.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Isn't it time almost John Tavares day? It's hard to keep track of all the holidays this time of year.

Reactions: Lame Lambert

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
JT night 2.0 on deck. 5-1 Vancouver. Jeers at Bo all night.

Isn't it time almost John Tavares day? It's hard to keep track of all the holidays this time of year.
I feel compelled to go on the record stating that there’s only one JT and his jersey is in the rafters.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i'll be at the game right behind the isles bench. As soon as Horvat is a -1 and it quiets down during a tv commercial break i'm going to yell
"Hey Bo, guess who's a MINUS 1, i'll tll you that for free!"
then when he's a -2 i'll do it again and again.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
i'll be at the game right behind the isles bench. As soon as Horvat is a -1 and it quiets down during a tv commercial break i'm going to yell
Ok.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
You still have time to come up with something funnier

We boo'ed Gaudreau for nothing.

I think it's a hand clap maybe standing ovation for the video tribute and boo's when he has the puck. But I welcome it, there is no emotions in games anyway so it'd be nice to have something injected in there.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Cool story. We're all impressed with your heckling abilities.
The funny thing is that OP is living in his Mom’s basement and they only have basic cable. He’ll be “watching” the game on the Vancouver HFBoards GDT drinking a Labatts lite (or two or twelve)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The funny thing is that OP is living in his Mom’s basement and they only have basic cable. He’ll be “watching” the game on the Vancouver HFBoards GDT drinking a Labatts lite (or two or twelve)
I wonder if he has a DHGate Messier jersey with a duct taped nameplate like all those snake jerseys we see here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad