Waived: Gauthier

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
At 22, he scored 26 goals in 44 games in the AHL, which is a 48 goal pace. He has some ability, but it's a matter of if it translates to the next level. So far it has not. It's possible (not likely, but possible) that he does down, scores a bunch of goals and regains his confidence.
He has never demonstrated any ability to be a NHL player. A few flickers and flashes with long periods of nothingness.
He was given more than enough opportunities .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Our whole right side might score a combined 50-60 goals ....it is sad . Krav 13 , Kakko 18 , Blais 6 , Vesey 11 , Reaves 2 ....other...1 ....sums it up . Gauthier had it in front of him ....he can't blame anyone else.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He would be in the NHL if he was willing to get his hands dirty. And I mean, he doesn’t have to. It’s his choice and I can’t object against that.

But if you are a NHL coach and you got guys that litterary would put whatever they have on the line for you and you have someone like Gauthier — the later just have to do a heck of a lot more to get chosen.

It’s not even that. His only value is generating chances. He can’t defend he’s actually a liability out there, doesn’t pk doesn’t play center doesn’t hit much doesn’t forecheck well so his only value is generating chances problem is he literally cannot score on any of them. None. So regardless of how hard u try you’re not an nhler.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just can't get all worked up over this and FWIW he was passed over by 31 teams and is on his way to the Pack and we can always recall him if we need to......maybe if Vitali fails to get off the ground.

Sometimes a player just has to put something up. We've seen the rushes on the net the last couple years and they don't work. Other than that Julien doesn't seem to get much done. Personally for his own sake I think he could use a change of scenery. Sometimes that jars a player out of the lethargy he's in.

We've moved from a development phase into a making the playoffs our window is open stage. We have under 25's that are doing very well and should develop further. Gauthier is one who hasn't been able to take that next step and so it's on to the next guy.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He would be in the NHL if he was willing to get his hands dirty. And I mean, he doesn’t have to. It’s his choice and I can’t object against that.

But if you are a NHL coach and you got guys that litterary would put whatever they have on the line for you and you have someone like Gauthier — the later just have to do a heck of a lot more to get chosen.
It's true.

The only part that makes this difficult is that Gauthier is so big, strong and fast out there.

If he ever developed a brain for positioning, defense, and became a decent passer he'd be fantastic even without any finish. He likely won't though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Idk how they can overcome the loss of 8 points a season. Not standings points, points from an individual. Combined w bad defense.

It's insurmountable.
it's not the points
It was the potential to have a cheap useful asset, except they didn't make enuf of an effort to get/keep 2 linemates w/which he had chemistry -> potential synergy.
Chytil was a fit
Again they preferred to use Chytil w/LaF + KK.
But had they only kept Vatrano, then
Vat - Chy -Gauth

w/LaF + KK top 6

to quote star trek
it is the illogic of (avoidable waste

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
it's not the points
It was the potential to have a cheap useful asset, except they didn't make enuf of an effort to get/keep 2 linemates w/which he had chemistry -> potential synergy.
Chytil was a fit
Vat - Chy -Gauth

w/LaF + KK top 6

to quote star trek
Gauthier sucks.

Nieves sucks.

Most of the guys you like suck.

"Synergy" doesn't make guys who are borderline NHL players magically become something other than guys who suck. This isn't one of those things you can will into existence. Some guys just aren't good enough.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I was hoping they’d try Gauthier with Kreider and Zibanejad. Thought that would be better than Vesey or Blais. But I’ll trust the coaching staff on this one.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
After a couple of years of Gaut, I'm very clear now on why we got a former mid-first round pick for Joey Keane who had some promising upside as a post-draft riser. Seems the 'Canes were onto something.

Some games I liked him a lot, a large majority he left me wanting more.

Gauthier is just size and speed and nothing else. No skills, talent or hockey sense. Gauthier is just a softer Hugh Jessiman

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Gauthier sucks.

Nieves sucks.

Most of the guys you like suck.

"Synergy" doesn't make guys who are borderline NHL players magically become something other than guys who suck. This isn't one of those things you can will into existence. Some guys just aren't good enough.
I agree some just aren't good enough.
That does not apply 111% of the time to either Nieves or Gauthier
proof being
the 5 mins Nieves was w/Kreider and a decent W, he looked good
Horribly small sample size I admit, but does not change that fact.
Instead, they insisted on giving him McLeod and other 4th line types

Similarly Gauthier HAS sucked EXCEPT when paired with chytil AND a finisher, Vatrano.

So even if we are talking exception vs rule, and to what extent some guys fit better with most than a relative few, the pt I made remains.
Rangers could have had success w/those 2 IF they did it my way, instead of trying to fit a round hole in a sq peg/vice versa.

I don't get em all right, but I had those 2 right

You know the saying "you are what you eat"?
I think a parallel applies here.
Usually, the max of your potential is defined by quality of components on your line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I agree some just aren't good enough.
That does not apply 111% of the time to either Nieves or Gauthier
proof being
the 5 mins Nieves was w/Kreider and a decent W, he looked good
Horribly small sample size I admit, but does not change that fact.
Instead, they insisted on giving him McLeod and other 4th line types

Similarly Gauthier HAS sucked EXCEPT when paired with chytil AND a finisher, Vatrano.

So even if we are talking exception vs rule, and to what extent some guys fit better with most than a relative few, the pt I made remains.
Rangers could have had success w/those 2 IF they did it my way, instead of trying to fit a round hole in a sq peg/vice versa.

I don't get em all right, but I had those 2 right

You know the saying "you are what you eat"?
I think a parallel applies here.
Usually, the max of your potential is defined by quality of components on your line.
IDK man, if you can look at Nieves, who isn't even playing professional hockey anymore, and Gauthier, who no other team wanted, and say, "I was right!", it makes me think you're living in some different universe.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
IDK man, if you can look at Nieves, who isn't even playing professional hockey anymore, and Gauthier, who no other team wanted, and say, "I was right!", it makes me think you're living in some different universe.
Hey, all I'm sayin is tell it like it is, let your conscience be your guide.

Nieves had at least 4 concussions we know about before he retired.
All I'm saying is IF they had allowed him to play w/Zib + Kreider for more than all of 5 mins, it might well have been a different outcome.

Gauthier also, unfortunately, is subpar in a typical vacuum.
I have conceded all that.

What I ask you to acknowledge is, what IF they had listened to me and done it my way?

Nieves deserved more than 5 mins on 2 broken bang bang plays.
Gauthier, whether he deserves it or not, was effective ONLY WHEN combo'ed as I identified,
Vatrano - Chytil -Gauthier

Notice, I am not saying they just give him a slot.
I am saying it is a stupid waste to not try and replicate what was clearly evident, did work.

No one should get a free pass and not have to work for success.
Everybody's gotta earn it.
But they each deserve a real and fair shot.

They did a reversal after they gave Lias, Mr. 7OA, every chance and he crapped the bed.
Going entirely in the other direction is biting off your nose to spite your face.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
it's not the points
Chytil was a fit
Vat - Chy -Gauth

w/LaF + KK top 6

to quote star trek
By the 3rd line I realized Im not reading this mush. Have respect for other peoples time pls.

We dont need line breakdowns and multi paragraph sermons for every thought you have wtf. Dont worry I wont bother u again bc I admit Im being harsh. So rather than keep being a little rude, I'll cross my fingers and hope you sit back and think about why your behavior constantly causes bad reactions from random people

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
By the 3rd line I realized Im not reading this mush. Have respect for other peoples time pls.

We dont need line breakdowns and multi paragraph sermons for every thought you have wtf. Dont worry I wont bother u again bc I admit Im being harsh. So rather than keep being a little rude, I'll cross my fingers and hope you sit back and think about why your behavior constantly causes bad reactions from random people
Each and every one of us posters rely on sufficient detail to establish merit, which substantiates our position(s).
Why post anything w/o making the effort to substantiate it?

There are many, many here at HFB who enjoy reading bern not being of terse verse esp when the crux of argument/debate needs detail. Just because you are apparently lazy, don't criticize those who aren't and make an effort.

Couple that with a respect for others you claim to champion ("Have respect for other peoples time..."), but ignore w/"We dont need....". Who put you at the head of the thought police?

I'm calling you out for that. Freedom of speech, competition of ideas is always preferable whenever possible/necessary.

Also, your description of "mush" is invalid, since you did not substantiate it, and by your own admission, did not even bother to extend the courtesy to provide a read, while not hesitating to pass judgment.

"Judge not lest ye be judged" for [to the extent judgment is required/unavoidable] "you shall be judged by the standards you yourself set".

Replying to "think about why your behavior constantly causes bad reactions from random people" I get that from the vocal few who like to defer to the herd, often blind slaves to conventional wisdom who, for whatever reason, not gonna themselves go outside the box or support those who do.

So in conclusion, congrats, you have been officially burned by bern.
The door is open should you decide to tender an apology.

Otherwise, no prob if you/anyone else [part of an extreme minority] wants to ignore.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
He has never demonstrated any ability to be a NHL player. A few flickers and flashes with long periods of nothingness.
He was given more than enough opportunities .

Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't have been sent down. He's done next to nothing with his chances and has no spot on the team. He absolutely needed to be waived.

The way I see it, Gauthier has 3 paths he can take now:
  1. Score a bunch of goals in the AHL and hope that with regained confidence, he can figure out how to score in the NHL
  2. Redefine his game and improve on defensive coverage, penalty killing, and forechecking with the goal of turning into a quality bottom 6 forward that can contribute a few goals
  3. Kick around the AHL and Europe as a goal scorer
#1 is the least likely. #3 is the most likely. #2 is what he should have been doing the past two years when he couldn't keep himself in the lineup as a scoring forward. He has all the tools to be a quality bottom 6 forward. Maybe the demotion is the smack in the face he needs to realize it. By all accounts, he's a hard worker with a good attitude and is well liked by the coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad