Waived: Gauthier

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Hes always all over the place with a ton of chances. He drives to the net hard. Is ok defensively. Added some more checking to his game, but other than that, does not PK, does not fight, does not block a ton of shots, does not take faceoffs and more importantly does not score points.

So his value to the team is nothing other than depth and potential. He's had PLENTY of time and chances to prove hes a regular NHL player. Hes got all of the tools but doesnt add enough of any one thing to get that upset about losing him.

Maybe a change of scenery will help him. Im rooting for him to succeed, but I just dont think its destined to be in Rangers jersey. Even if he does clear I think the first call-up will be Rydahl and he knows that.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
This is a mistake.
He functions well as a driver of play w/facilitator Chytil; they should be looking to add another [or reacquire depending on price] Vatrano.

worth keeping over Hunt, Carpenter and Vesey
Rangers may overcome despite this, but imo, it IS a mistake
There's a good chance he isn't claimed, lots of teams are in similar situations, just look at the giant list of waivers yesterday
14upqol4ots91.jpg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There are a couple dozen guys like Gauthier on waivers. Every year, it's the same story, we waive a player and everyone is convinced he'll be claimed. I mean, maybe he will be, but if he does, who cares? He doesn't do anything for this team that we really need. Vince said the other day they've been trying to trade him but everyone else knew he'd be waived so they didn't bite, figuring if they decided they wanted him they could put in a waiver claim and hope they get him that way. If not...again, plenty of guys that can contribute what he does.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Had a better camp than lord Kravtsov
That is also b'c they did not listen to bern

As is clear on the record, I wanted them to keep over Hunt, McKegg etc etc and get him mins then.
But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

they are still not giving him enuf mins w/same top guys and they are expecting INSTANT chemistry

the kid has the talent, he will produce

what they should have done was
sign Vatrano
try to trade Panarin to Habs [which is tuf and a bigger discussion for another time] in the process moving LaF for Slaf as a side deal
and do

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Slaf - Trocheck - Krav
Vatrano - Chytil - Gauthier
Blais - Rydahl - Goodrow

I expect Krav to emerge once he plays REGULARLY w/quality linemates

Hes always all over the place with a ton of chances. He drives to the net hard. Is ok defensively. Added some more checking to his game, but other than that, does not PK, does not fight, does not block a ton of shots, does not take faceoffs and more importantly does not score points.

So his value to the team is nothing other than depth and potential. He's had PLENTY of time and chances to prove hes a regular NHL player. Hes got all of the tools but doesnt add enough of any one thing to get that upset about losing him.

Maybe a change of scenery will help him. Im rooting for him to succeed, but I just dont think its destined to be in Rangers jersey. Even if he does clear I think the first call-up will be Rydahl and he knows that.
this is mostly fair.
Howev, guys that can do it all are the exception, not the rule

He is a driver of play, and needs to be paired with a facilitator [Chytil] AND a finisher.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
That is also b'c they did not listen to bern

As is clear on the record, I wanted them to keep over Hunt, McKegg etc etc and get him mins then.
But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

they are still not giving him enuf mins w/same top guys and they are expecting INSTANT chemistry

the kid has the talent, he will produce

what they should have done was
sign Vatrano
try to trade Panarin to Habs [which is tuf and a bigger discussion for another time] in the process moving LaF for Slaf as a side deal
and do

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Slaf - Trocheck - Krav
Vatrano - Chytil - Gauthier
Blais - Rydahl - Goodrow

I expect Krav to emerge once he plays REGULARLY w/quality linemates

this is mostly fair.
Howev, guys that can do it all are the exception, not the rule

He is a driver of play, and needs to be paired with a facilitator [Chytil] AND a finisher.

that's a nice 80 point team you made there

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't think there's anything left for us to get out of Gauthier. He's not projecting to be a value as a bottom six energy guy and he's not projecting to score enough to be a top 6 guy.

He's a tweener who doesn't excel at either role.

I would have loved to get a third or fourth for him but at this point I'd rather the roster spot. I'd rather investigate a Kostin-like talent who still might have some useful development left (and yes I'm aware that Kostin was traded and is no longer available for us to claim). Gauthier isn't going to be anything useful for us. Not that Carpenter is going to be anything useful for us either but I can think of two players in the AHL for us that I'd rather have on hand than Gauthier - Rydahl and Brodzinski. Not that Brodzinski is "better" than Gauthier but he fits that energy role better.

Also I agree with @bernmeister that the Rangers just need to let Krav play in the top 6 or top 9. Put up with the struggles for a bit and just let him play. Let him develop chemistry. I would not be quick to pull him at all. It's a long season.

Reactions: pld459666

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There are a couple dozen guys like Gauthier on waivers. Every year, it's the same story, we waive a player and everyone is convinced he'll be claimed. I mean, maybe he will be, but if he does, who cares? He doesn't do anything for this team that we really need. Vince said the other day they've been trying to trade him but everyone else knew he'd be waived so they didn't bite, figuring if they decided they wanted him they could put in a waiver claim and hope they get him that way. If not...again, plenty of guys that can contribute what he does.
Your comment is neither wrong or unreasonable
but that is not my pt

My pt is, IF they correctly maxed this situation by pairing him w/correct linemates, how productive would/could THAT have been?
And w zero wasted cost!

Reactions: egelband

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Was going to type a response but this pretty much sums it up perfectly.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
that's a nice 80 point team you made there
disagree
LaF - Slaf ballpark equal, unclear who will be better, skating edge to Slaf, others lean towards LaF, improve on cap

And you would still get something signif for Panarin

plus -- and here is where you gotta think ahead -- you want to make room for a guy like Othman, you deal bread now if you can

this is a prob I have w/mgmt
did same thing to Buch, wanted their cake and eat it too, held on to him until there was almost no trade value b'c he had zero term and last scrap of rfa status

I don't think there's anything left for us to get out of Gauthier. He's not projecting to be a value as a bottom six energy guy and he's not projecting to score enough to be a top 6 guy.

He's a tweener who doesn't excel at either role.

I would have loved to get a third or fourth for him but at this point I'd rather the roster spot. I'd rather investigate a Kostin-like talent who still might have some useful development left (and yes I'm aware that Kostin was traded and is no longer available for us to claim). Gauthier isn't going to be anything useful for us. Not that Carpenter is going to be anything useful for us either but I can think of two players in the AHL for us that I'd rather have on hand than Gauthier - Rydahl and Brodzinski. Not that Brodzinski is "better" than Gauthier but he fits that energy role better.

Also I agree with @bernmeister that the Rangers just need to let Krav play in the top 6 or top 9. Put up with the struggles for a bit and just let him play. Let him develop chemistry. I would not be quick to pull him at all. It's a long season.
I respect the dif of op
but disagree about Gauth not being an energy guy

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
If he doesn't get claimed, maybe some time back in the AHL will spark his scoring touch again. I'm sure he'll get a call back up eventually due to injuries.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
been hopeful for the kid since the Keane trade, but time for change

maybe they do a trade, Like StL<>Edm Kostin deal,
for waiver-cleared, comparable age/pedigree D or C

Deleted member 23124

If he doesn't get claimed, maybe some time back in the AHL will spark his scoring touch again. I'm sure he'll get a call back up eventually due to injuries.
I don't recall him having much of a "scoring touch".....

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
All the tools, but there is no toolbox. He plays too small. If you put Sammy Blais' brain in his body he would be a hell of a player. If what you're doing isn't working, try something else. Yes he was a scorer in junior. So were alot of guys. Do what keeps you in the NHL. He has the size and speed to be a forecheck missile. Nope. Don't try that. In the end this dude will be behind the counter at at Planet Fitness signing people up to memberships instead if being an NHL player. Damn Shame.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

Kords

Jun 19, 2019

He was one of the better goal scorers while he was in the AHL for the Charlotte Checkers. He was a very solid prospect once upon a time.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

At 22, he scored 26 goals in 44 games in the AHL, which is a 48 goal pace. He has some ability, but it's a matter of if it translates to the next level. So far it has not. It's possible (not likely, but possible) that he does down, scores a bunch of goals and regains his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad