Waived: Gauthier

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Hopefully he clears waivers and remains a call-up option. Injuries will happen, as much as we wish they wouldn't. But it was right to cut bait on this guy. He bought Babbel thinking his AHL game would translate to the NHL. Babbel didn't cut it.

Deleted member 23124

He was one of the better goal scorers while he was in the AHL for the Charlotte Checkers. He was a very solid prospect once upon a time.

At 22, he scored 26 goals in 44 games in the AHL, which is a 48 goal pace. He has some ability, but it's a matter of if it translates to the next level. So far it has not. It's possible (not likely, but possible) that he does down, scores a bunch of goals and regains his confidence.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of this.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Shame the kid was never able to put any kind of scoring touch together. But he's 2 weeks away from his 25th birthday, and at some point you can't keep waiting for the light to go on. Maybe he puts it together eventually, but it sure doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: pld459666

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
this is mostly fair.
Howev, guys that can do it all are the exception, not the rule

He is a driver of play, and needs to be paired with a facilitator [Chytil] AND a finisher.
Its not about guys who can do it all - In his case its about bottom 6 players who do specific things.

Unless he started scoring on the regular, which again, he had plenty of chances to do - he was going to be nothing more than a bottom 6 guy. Bottom 6 guys dont need to do it all. They need to add specific skills, a lot of which I pointed out above. This is just the simple fact in the NHL. This is one of reasons why the Rangers didnt resign Motte and went for Carpenter and Rydahl. Cheaper options who can PK, Rydahl is waiver exempt and the both can play center. Its about flexibility in a lot of ways.

Gauthier was pretty pigeon-holed. Either it worked out offensively for him or any other lower line player could do the job.

Gauthier is really a top 9 depth forward with skill and now that they brought Vesey and Kravstov into the mix and Blais was healthy going into the year he became expendable. They tried to trade him. They brought him along for the ride in camp. It was a foregone conclusion IMO after a very long look at him.

Last edited:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
There's a good chance he isn't claimed, lots of teams are in similar situations, just look at the giant list of waivers yesterday
14upqol4ots91.jpg
You have to think a washed up DZ is better than Bartkowski. Valimaki could have been interesting. Hope he enjoys playing in front of 2K people each game -- assuming, of course, that many attend.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I sure hope the Rangers can "overcome" losing his 5 goals in 96 games. He hasn't outplayed anyone in the top 9 and isn't suited for the 4th line. Other players deserve a chance now. Good luck to him, if he gets claimed.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
As for Gauthier, I actually thought this preseason he played his most well-rounded games. He was actually passing at times instead of doing his one famous move. He also seemed decently committed in the D zone. His chances of making it are about him figuring out how to play a 4th line role, that could eventually slide up to the 3rd. If he commits to figuring out D zone coverage, becomes a PKer and uses the body and his teammates, he has the size and speed to be a hell of a role player. This would be a far cry from who he thought he was just a few seasons ago, but it's his only bet to stick. He very much so has to sort out how to become a Benoit Pouliot type. Or Michael Grabner. I actually think he got the message through to his head because he showed signs of that in the pre-season. Just don't know how long the transformation process will take.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
As for Gauthier, I actually thought this preseason he played his most well-rounded games. He was actually passing at times instead of doing his one famous move. He also seemed decently committed in the D zone. His chances of making it are about him figuring out how to play a 4th line role, that could eventually slide up to the 3rd. If he commits to figuring out D zone coverage, becomes a PKer and uses the body and his teammates, he has the size and speed to be a hell of a role player. This would be a far cry from who he thought he was just a few seasons ago, but it's his only bet to stick. He very much so has to sort out how to become a Benoit Pouliot type. Or Michael Grabner. I actually think he got the message through to his head because he showed signs of that in the pre-season. Just don't know how long the transformation process will take.
Hopefully he clears. You hit the nail on the head. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have him eat minutes down there. He can focus on those aspects of his game. Reminds me a bit of Brett Connolly.. both big, fast goal scorers that never really translated at this level. He's gotta reinvent himself a bit like that. His hands arent bad he's got a few tricks up his sleeve, if he can round out his overall game he'd be an above average bottom 6 guy. Not many 3rd/4th liners have the ability to drive the net and get past defenders like him... he generates chances, he just hasn't finished them

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Maybe swap to Avs for ex-BU (like Drury) Bowers, also cleared this week

Their AHL team can do another Ryan Graves, turn Gauth into an nhl regular

Reactions: will1066

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That is also b'c they did not listen to bern

As is clear on the record, I wanted them to keep over Hunt, McKegg etc etc and get him mins then.
But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

they are still not giving him enuf mins w/same top guys and they are expecting

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Slaf - Trocheck - Krav
Vatrano - Chytil - Gauthier
Blais - Rydahl - Goodrow
Ah.

You're looking for the first pick next season.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
After a couple of years of Gaut, I'm very clear now on why we got a former mid-first round pick for Joey Keane who had some promising upside as a post-draft riser. Seems the 'Canes were onto something.

Some games I liked him a lot, a large majority he left me wanting more.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I agree with all of this. I really liked his pre-season, And he could very well develop into a decent bottom 6 player on the right team, especially if he gets better in his own zone.

Guys like Gauthier really do show how hard it is to stay in the NHL. Dude is a physical specimen but every roster spot is precious in this league and there are tons of guys competing for each one.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As expected nobody claimed this guy. He’s not an nhler. I’m amazed some of you forgot last season where he fooled everyone and made this team. He got plenty plenty of chances. He stunk. He’ll be a big help for Hartford

He would be in the NHL if he was willing to get his hands dirty. And I mean, he doesn’t have to. It’s his choice and I can’t object against that.

But if you are a NHL coach and you got guys that litterary would put whatever they have on the line for you and you have someone like Gauthier — the later just have to do a heck of a lot more to get chosen.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad