Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Kevin Paul Dupont
Kevin Paul Dupont‏ @GlobeKPD
Longtime hockey pal in NJ/Phil area convinced that Gaudreau will be out of CGY and become a Flyer or Bruin.

Interesting tweet from a Boston scribe

While I can see that the Flyers have some good assets to offer up for JG, no way I can see a trade with the Bruins. If he goes to the Bruins the Flames will be taken to the cleaners in this trade. It'll be horriblad.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Neither team has assets that would interest a rebuilding Flames team.

Not that I believe the rumour to begin with, but Gaudreau wouldn't have any influence on where he would be traded to anyway.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Neither team has assets that would interest a rebuilding Flames team.

Not that I believe the rumour to begin with, but Gaudreau wouldn't have any influence on where he would be traded to anyway.

I don't think this is true. Philly would be able to put a very good offer on the table.

DyerMaker66*

To answer your question there are 5 or 6 reasons posted in this thread but again the main one is 5'.09" 157 lbs.

I love when people use being an averaged size human as a reason why someone can't play in the NHL.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I love when people use being an averaged size human as a reason why someone can't play in the NHL.

Yeah, it would almost be like using average level of fitness as a reason someone would be unable to play in the NHL. Us average Joes are good enough!

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
I don't think this is true. Philly would be able to put a very good offer on the table.

A bunch of lesser pieces and prospects, or older win-now players like Simmonds. They aren't giving up Ghost in this scenario, and he isn't really what the Flames need.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Actually he could tell all the other 27 teams that he wouldn't sign with them so they don't trade for them. Pretty friggin easy actually
If an agent representing an RFA phoned even one team to deny a team a trade the league would punt his ass.

Believe it or not, agents have rules too.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
A bunch of lesser pieces and prospects, or older win-now players like Simmonds. They aren't giving up Ghost in this scenario, and he isn't really what the Flames need.

Unless the lesser piece is named Giroux and the prospect is named Provorov you're not getting a young budding superstar.

Bhurak

Jan 5, 2006

If Simmonds+ is on the table, the Flames would talk. Put Bennett on the left wing, and Simmonds on the right, and you have maybe the hardest line in the NHL to play against. If there was enough of a + coming, I could see that being a reasonable conversation to have at least.

DyerMaker66*

Yeah, it would almost be like using average level of fitness as a reason someone would be unable to play in the NHL. Us average Joes are good enough!
Fitness is the game, size is not.I think there are far more examples of NHL players being average size compared to having average fitness. That was a pretty weird analogy.

Someone tell Pat Kane he can't play hockey. He's not tall enough to score.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Have any proof of that?

Actually he could tell all the other 27 teams that he wouldn't sign with them so they don't trade for them. Pretty friggin easy actually

Actually, he couldn't. Unless given permission. And if that's the way they play it, well, he can play close to home... Play shinny at his dad's arena.

The points moot though, it's not happening, Johnny doesn't have that ego.

BTW.. A few reliable sources once told me Stamkos would sign in Toronto :sarcasm:

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Pay the man! Imagine the Flames without him. They go right back to being in the bottom 5 in the league. With him, you can argue potential playoffs. The kid is that good.

Counting Las Vegas a little early or something?

OR

Agreed! Gaudreau has propelled them all the way from the bottom 5 to the top 26!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It is when the average NHLer is over 6 feet and hovering around 200 pounds.

Gaudreau is a helluva player, but I would never give a small body like that a long-term contract.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It is when the average NHLer is over 6 feet and hovering around 200 pounds.

Gaudreau is a helluva player, but I would never give a small body like that a long-term contract.

What does a "small body" have to do with the length of a contract? You're under the impression that small players get injured easier than bigger ones?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If an agent representing an RFA phoned even one team to deny a team a trade the league would punt his ass.

What's the rule for agents preventing them from talking to teams while representing restricted free agents as you see it?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think he's looking to go to NE US team in next 5 years. If he signs a 2 or 3 year deal he's gone in ufa

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I don't think it's happening, but Voracek would have to be the main piece. He's 27 and signed for eight years, so not old, and not just a win-now guy.

Last edited:

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada

You don't think Troubas agent talked to all potential teams looking to trade for him?

He doesn't have a contract, what GM is going to trade for him without talking to his camp and knowing what he's looking for? It's totally different then trading for someone under contract. Or else you're return is going to be underwhelming. Ex. Hamilton.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Kevin Paul Dupont
Kevin Paul Dupont‏ @GlobeKPD
Longtime hockey pal in NJ/Phil area convinced that Gaudreau will be out of CGY and become a Flyer or Bruin.

Interesting tweet from a Boston scribe

Surprising tweet. KPD isn't some hack. Hockey Hall of Famer. The asterisk of "my hockey pal thinks" is a huge one, though.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
He doesn't have a contract, what GM is going to trade for him without talking to his camp and knowing what he's looking for? It's totally different then trading for someone under contract. Or else you're return is going to be underwhelming. Ex. Hamilton.

He may not have a contract but he was qualified. Does that set limits on what an agent can and cannot do when it comes to making contact with other teams?

If Gaudreau's agent hasn't spoken with the Flames in a month I wonder if it's because there's a take it or leave it offer on the table and the Flames are simply unwilling to deviate from what they've proposed.

That's not really a good position for either party to be in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Surprising tweet. KPD isn't some hack. Hockey Hall of Famer. The asterisk of "my hockey pal thinks" is a huge one, though.

Problem is, there are no insiders in Philly anymore. Hextall shut them all out when he took over. He has run things very close to the chest. The "hockey pal" is probably one of the many terrible beat writers in the area that are now forced to create false speculation because they have no inside information.

Gaudreau to Philly is not feasable in any way, as much as I would love to have the kid.

Just for fun though..

Simmonds (3 years left at $3.95 million) + Sanheim + Streit @ 25% retained (Cap dump - 1 year left at $3.93 million after retention)

Calgary takes on $7.8 million for 1 season and then the savings kick in the 2nd season. They'd also be replacing a veteran salary on their defense with Sanheim's $863K Entry-Level contract for 3 years. That's additional savings.

Calgary is solid on the left side of their defense right now with Brodie and Giordano, but Gio is already 33 years old and might not make it to the end of his contract. Sanheim can play the left on the bottom pair at first (starting in 17-18 after 1 year in the AHL) then move up into the top 4 on the right until he can permanently shift back to the left once Gio retires or regresses in 3-5 years).

Welp, that was fun.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He may not have a contract but he was qualified. Does that set limits on what an agent can and cannot do when it comes to making contact with other teams?

If he wasn't qualified, he wouldn't be a restricted free agent.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
While I can see that the Flyers have some good assets to offer up for JG, no way I can see a trade with the Bruins. If he goes to the Bruins the Flames will be taken to the cleaners in this trade. It'll be horriblad.

Considering the flack the Bruins have gotten for their trades in the recent years... I think it's about time something goes in their favor.

(I don't realistically see the Bruins having the pieces to get him)

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
You don't think Troubas agent talked to all potential teams looking to trade for him?

No, that's called tampering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad