Speculation: Gaudreau seeking $8M annually on new deal with Flames -- Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
How is he technically not a (restricted) free agent. He doesn't have a contract. That's what that means.
He's effectively still a Group 1 player.

What does that mean?

He doesn't have 3 years of NHL experience and therefore doesn't qualify for Group 2 Free Agency (RFA) rights under the CBA. At least, that's my interpretation of it, among others.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Pretty crappy that you tell the agent of your star player that they will call in 2 days....then never call.

And yes, I know JG asked not to be distracted during the WC.

So says the agent, Craig Conroy recently said they've been talking everyday and Craig has never had a reputation for double-speak even though he's a motor-mouth. Probably just maneuvering by the agent.

Sorry Philly, you're going to have to wait 7-8 years before you can be hopeful that Johnny's gonna come knocking at the door.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
So says the agent, Craig Conroy recently said they've been talking everyday and Craig has never had a reputation for double-speak even though he's a motor-mouth. Probably just maneuvering by the agent.

Sorry Philly, you're going to have to wait 7-8 years before you can be hopeful that Johnny's gonna come knocking at the door.

And that's Conroy's old agent too. He wouldn't be just making crap up about him

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
And that's Conroy's old agent too. He wouldn't be just making crap up about him

Agent proble trying to win the public opinion by saying there has been conversation in over a month. I highly doubt this especially when conroy has said there's been ongoing conversations

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Agent proble trying to win the public opinion by saying there has been conversation in over a month. I highly doubt this especially when conroy has said there's been ongoing conversations

Hasn't been*

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

Mckenzie also reported a couple days ago that they haven't been talking.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013

With how tight lipped the Flames are about contract negotiations, this is so clearly a PR move by the agent imo. Trying to put pressure on the Flames.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Give the man his money. He has a better track record in his short career then the rat that just got his rediculous contract so pay him and let him continue to grow. It will hurt long term for both sides if they don't. Anything less then 7.5 for a guy that can put the puck In the.net the way he does should be compensated for it. He should just do a 1 year 8.5 deal every year if they won't go long term

Since when do players in their early twenties get paid more for less term? Teams give higher AAV to buy term.

McDavid isn't going to have this issue why should Johnny[/B].

McDavid is a centre. If you don't understand the value difference between a centre and a winger I'm not sure there's much more to say.

Pretty crappy that you tell the agent of your star player that they will call in 2 days....then never call.

If there's one thing I know, it's that Brad Treliving is probably the hardest working GM in the league and will always be by the phones. There's more to this than that statements suggests.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Johnny either gets his 7-7.5M longterm or the Flames have to settle for a 1 or 2 year deal where they either pay up in a couple years of expose him to potential offer sheet/arbitration. Everyone keeps saying that all the power is in management's hands, but it really isn't. The flames are writing off their season completely if they let this carry into November. As good as Monahan is, that 1st line doesn't go without Johnny and the rest of the forward depth is not going to pick up that slack even if Bennett breaks out.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Since when do players in their early twenties get paid more for less term? Teams give higher AAV to buy term.

McDavid is a centre. If you don't understand the value difference between a centre and a winger I'm not sure there's much more to say.

If there's one thing I know, it's that Brad Treliving is probably the hardest working GM in the league and will always be by the phones. There's more to this than that statements suggests.

If there's one thing you know, it's something that you couldn't possibly ACTUALLY know?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Kevin Paul Dupont
Kevin Paul Dupont‏ @GlobeKPD
Longtime hockey pal in NJ/Phil area convinced that Gaudreau will be out of CGY and become a Flyer or Bruin.

Interesting tweet from a Boston scribe

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If there's one thing you know, it's something that you couldn't possibly ACTUALLY know?

Why's it so hard to believe that OvermanKingGainer from HFBoards knows exactly what all the GMs are up to 24 hours a day?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
He's 100% worth it but the problem is it screws their authority on their cap structure. If they give him anywhere close to what he wants then they won't have much structure in future negotiation with any of their players. Sadly you can't give an RFA (he's technically even lower than that) all that power.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Kevin Paul Dupont
Kevin Paul Dupont‏ @GlobeKPD
Longtime hockey pal in NJ/Phil area convinced that Gaudreau will be out of CGY and become a Flyer or Bruin.

Interesting tweet from a Boston scribe

It seems far too convenient that this comes out the same day the Gross assures Calgary he's not asking for a trade. Really childish move by Lewis Gross if this is his work.

And also there's no way that Gaudreau could even demand to go to Philly or Boston, he's an RFA with no rights. Calgary can ship him anywhere.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
And he'd be by far the best player to ever take a bridge deal.

Off topic: Is your name supposed to be WhiskeyYoureTheDevils?

On topic: Your previous post of a 2 year deal seems pretty realistic. Would a 3 yr deal leave him with 1 yr RFA left? I'm wondering if he would rather get right to UFA or not.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada

Have any proof of that?

It seems far too convenient that this comes out the same day the Gross assures Calgary he's not asking for a trade. Really childish move by Lewis Gross if this is his work.

And also there's no way that Gaudreau could even demand to go to Philly or Boston, he's an RFA with no rights. Calgary can ship him anywhere.

Actually he could tell all the other 27 teams that he wouldn't sign with them so they don't trade for them. Pretty friggin easy actually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad