Speculation: Gaudreau seeking $8M annually on new deal with Flames -- Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Wasn't Giordano rumoured to be asking 8 mil at one point too?

That was in the absolute beginning of negotiations. That seemed like standard negotiating tactics: player starts high, team starts low, each works toward what they are actually willing to accept.

With Gaudreau, the pre-season has begun, the regular season is almost upon us. It's a little different.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Give the man his money. He has a better track record in his short career then the rat that just got his rediculous contract so pay him and let him continue to grow. It will hurt long term for both sides if they don't. Anything less then 7.5 for a guy that can put the puck In the.net the way he does should be compensated for it. He should just do a 1 year 8.5 deal every year if they won't go long term and leave in FA his first UFA deal. McDavid isn't going to have this issue why should Johnny.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
That was in the absolute beginning of negotiations. That seemed like standard negotiating tactics: player starts high, team starts low, each works toward what they are actually willing to accept.

With Gaudreau, the pre-season has begun, the regular season is almost upon us. It's a little different.

Actually, shortly after Giordano signed, he commented on the rumors he heard during negotiations, stating that his ask was nowhere near 9, and he was wondering how that got started in the first place.

I am not saying Gaudreau's ask isn't 8, but just wouldn't surprise me either way (or any other player in the NHL going through negotiations - rumors get thrown around and neither party comments on them).

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Pay the man! Imagine the Flames without him. They go right back to being in the bottom 5 in the league. With him, you can argue potential playoffs. The kid is that good.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
More I think about it, more I think he signs for 4-5 years at about a 7 million cap hit. Gives him another big payday during his productive years.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

Also, that $9M number came without any term. Some of that ask certainly went into the term of the eventual deal.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
I think he'll get 8 years at around $7-7.25M AAV, and I'm basing this off absolutely nothing.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Just pay the guy. He's going to be contending for Art Ross trophies for the next 10 years.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I think he'll get 8 years at around $7-7.25M AAV, and I'm basing this off absolutely nothing.

This is one of the best posts I've read on here. Honest. :handclap:

I have no idea what hes going to get but I put my money on him caving in as he has nowhere to go realistically . They are players first and foremost and dont want to just sit there doing nothing.

Hes american, not russian, or swedish .

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Wasn't he like 7th in scoring this year? and He's under 25. I don't understand why they don't just pay him! If it was 10 million, I'd understand, that's high but anything below 8.5 mil i think is a great desl for him and his prime years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
IMO there's more pressure on the Flames now. Kid delivered at the World Cup, Flames can risk their entire season by letting him sit for a month and cost themselves a playoff spot possibly if they want.

He's going to get paid sooner than later, so there's no huge incentive to Gaudreau to cave.

redfire11

Jun 22, 2016
Wasn't he like 7th in scoring this year? and He's under 25. I don't understand why they don't just pay him! If it was 10 million, I'd understand, that's high but anything below 8.5 mil i think is a great desl for him and his prime years.

To answer your question there are 5 or 6 reasons posted in this thread but again the main one is 5'.09" 157 lbs.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The people saying, "Pay the guy anything!" are the same kind of people that say, "Don't blame the players for taking so much money no one forced the GM's to give them that much."

We shall see who cracks first; The GM's or the agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad