Confirmed with Link: Garnet Hathaway, 4-years, 1.500m AAV

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Flames fan (Washington is my second favourite, huge Ovi fan), this is a guy that will definitely strengthen your PK and puts in good work 5v5 as well. If that was all he wanted, I wish Calgary would have signed that for him, he's all heart and soul (with a little grit mixed in). He's reliable in your own zone, and is strong on the forecheck and backcheck. Hell, last year I saw on more than one occasion where he'd kill 1:00+ of a penalty by himself and still get a shot on net (not the best shot, but considering he ended up killing half a penalty singlehandedly, you can't really complain). I hope he is as good for you guys as he was for us in Calgary.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Flames fan (Washington is my second favourite, huge Ovi fan), this is a guy that will definitely strengthen your PK and puts in good work 5v5 as well. If that was all he wanted, I wish Calgary would have signed that for him, he's all heart and soul (with a little grit mixed in). He's reliable in your own zone, and is strong on the forecheck and backcheck. Hell, last year I saw on more than one occasion where he'd kill 1:00+ of a penalty by himself and still get a shot on net (not the best shot, but considering he ended up killing half a penalty singlehandedly, you can't really complain). I hope he is as good for you guys as he was for us in Calgary.

Thanks for the synopsis. Sounds like a good player to have.

I hope Calgary has a good year, next year. :)

Reactions: Khrox

Jon Bonham

Jun 24, 2019
Who else is hoping there's a secret locker room bet to see who can be the most destructive? I'm not happy that our players are shit, but I'm remarkably stoked to have the nastiest team in the league. I always wanted to be a Flyers fan because of their violent culture, but this will work too.

Ovechkin, Wilson, Gudas, Hathaway? Someone is bound to get Stevens'ed every night.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I always wonder why butter soft teams, outside of Tkachuk, let grit guys go when they don't cost much to retain.

I have some Calgary fans buddies and they're all not happy about losing Hathaway, especially for that price. Calgary is pretty strapped for cash though, but it doesn't seem like the team can really improve itself without a move or two.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
It’ll be cool to have another actual fighter other than Wilson. Oshie will fight but other than him that’s about it

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I’m not going to post all the videos, just YouTube Hathaway. He seems to be a low key instigator and targets/fights key players on the opposing team, for example there’s byfuglien, burns, mcquaid, etc.

Maybe not the greatest fighter but that’s ok, he looks to get under their skin.

I already watched a few when the deal was announced, which is why I said I wanted to see Wilson, Gudas, and Hathaway in Hanson Brothers gear. Some of Hathaway's hits I'm thinking "Looks a bit like Tom Wilson, but if Wilson did that he'd be ejected".

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi would look fashionable in aluminum foil

source.gif

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have to say its remarkable how consistently our GM targets toughness. And it's awesome.

If we had the softest team in the league I would not be as nearly as much a fan. I don't like to watch my stars getting abused, and to be honest can watch all star games and shootouts if all I want to see is a skills competition.

I like that even Panik will throw them. None of the 3 are going to be heavyweight champs but we want guys willing to do anything to win - skill + heart and soul + timely tending wins cups. I said it after we lost to Carolina we played soft as butter and am thus happy to see it wasn't just me and Alan May that noticed.

I knew we were in trouble when Orpik only went for knockout blows in game 1.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I have to say its remarkable how consistently our GM targets toughness. And it's awesome.

If we had the softest team in the league I would not be a nearly as much a fan. I don't like to watch my stars getting abused, and to be honest can watch all star games and shootouts if all I want to see is a skills competition.

I like that even Panik will throw them. None of the 3 are going to be heavyweight champs but we want guys willing to do anything to win - skill + heart and soul + timely tending wins cups. I said it after we lost to Carolina we played soft as butter and am thus happy to see it wasn't just me and Alan May that noticed.

I knew we were in trouble when Orpik only went for knockout blows in game 1.

Against Carolina it wasn't about winning fights or even getting into them, Ovechkin-Svechnikov aside.

It was about getting under the skin, and for all of our bluster, the Canes were getting under our skin far more than we were getting under theirs. Far more than we had liked to admit.

That whole series last year was really chippy. And with Oshie going down like that... and the likelihood of something like that happening now with one of Tom, Gudas or Hathaway being on the ice at that time..

Reactions: RandyHolt

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Against Carolina it wasn't about winning fights or even getting into them, Ovechkin-Svechnikov aside.

It was about getting under the skin, and for all of our bluster, the Canes were getting under our skin far more than we were getting under theirs. Far more than we had liked to admit.

They played a lot of dirty pool though. Tons of elbows and spearing was going on. And I think Wilson, as much as we love him, really tried to keep himself out of what he does so well (which is intimidate and keep guys honest) because he was afraid of being suspended.

I think the Caps lost, or will soon lose, a lot of, I don't want to saw softness, but guys who aren't really useful when they don't have the puck. Burakovsky tried in the 2nd half, but I think Hagelin is much more useful fighting for pucks than he is. Connolly wasn't a great forechecker and was certainly not really a two-way guy. And Stephenson really didn't do anything with the puck when he did have it; he really he just seemed to float a lot and not do anything with his best asset.

Conversely, Panik isn't some two way god, but he does a lot more work than Connolly without the puck. He's certainly a bit more physically effective. He had 137 hits last year, whixhbwpuld have been 4th best among ALL Caps. And Hathaway really feels like the player we needed DSP to be last year - a physically intimidating force who will instigate and antagonize guys who has enough skill to grab 10 goals or so. He had 200 hits, which was top 30 in the entire league.

And Gudas is difficult to play against. I actually saw him a lot last year l, and he's better than I think some of us realize. He's pretty decent defensively, and he skates decently enough to stay out of trouble in most situations.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

That whole series last year was really chippy. And with Oshie going down like that... and the likelihood of something like that happening now with one of Tom, Gudas or Hathaway being on the ice at that time..

And Ovechkin-Svechnikov NOT aside, Carolina was taking lumps. I know Ferland had to tap out after trying to hit Wilson. Someone else got hurt. We really tested their depth, without even trying. The foot was on their neck when the injuries started, and we backed off. Heck I think Svechnikov looked more dangerous than Aho. We should have pummeled Aho more.

I think the problem was that all the recalls were those pesky super hard working AHL types, which have always been a thorn in our sides. Like gnats flying around the kings crown.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
And we would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling AHL types!

We all knew Bura played half his size. Anybody and their half-blind grandma could see that. Connolly, love him, but really only brings his shot. Can't really skate, create or defend. Nothing was going with our 4th line, Reirden wouldn't even trust them on the ice.

Honestly, we were never going to challenge teams like Carolina or the other modern darlings in the speed possession game. So we double down on stuff that we know we can do. Get rid of the excess waste, thats just weakness leaving the body. Get leaner and meaner. If Panik and Hathaway can skate like GMBM says, we may have gotten a little quicker too.

Terrorize some villages

Last edited:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Ovi would look fashionable in aluminum foil

source.gif
After this.... one of the most awesome “plays” in Caps playoff history.... the team folded. And the result is what we saw yesterday by gmbm.

I will ALWAYS, despite how much I dislike him, give gmgm credit for going against the flow and recognizing that Wilson was a player Caps needed after their playoff exit. He was right. But drafting player x is not how you fix the previous year’s exit.

Edit: good discussion on follow up posts!

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
After this.... one of the most awesome “plays” in Caps playoff history.... the team folded. And the result is what we saw yesterday by gmbm.

I will ALWAYS, despite how much I dislike him, give gmgm credit for going against the flow and recognizing that Wilson was a player Caps needed after their playoff exit. He was right. But drafting player x is not how you fix the previous year’s exit.

Edit: good discussion on follow up posts!

Bolded - great point. It's was like Matt "Go Get em Killer!!1!" Bradley, getting his ass consistently kicked, and it consistently sparking our team. The shock and awe horror of it all took away from Ovi's career fight. Ovi deep down probably felt bad as a fellow countryman, and rest of the boys followed his subtle lead and backed off a tad, unknowingly or not.

It sounds crazy but maybe the best thing for Carolina was Ovi knocking him out of the series, for it served as a wake up call, or more aptly put, a battle cry. No prisoners!

Ovi should have been skating around in the next pregame asking, "who's next?" and terrorized their entire team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad