Confirmed with Link: Garnet Hathaway, 4-years, 1.500m AAV

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
A few of these penalty killers will be the main culprits for why the team may be on the PK.

No problem -- you can always pat yourself on the back for a good PK unit and then blame the number of PKs on the refs. It's a win-win.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilson? Gudas? Hathaway? The guys who actually sit at the penalty box the most.

Not sure about Gudas and how he will fit in but Kempny and Kuzy had more minor penalties than Wilson(and many of Wilson's were matching minors) and Hathaway had the same minor penalties as Niskanen and Oshie.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Not sure about Gudas and how he will fit in but Kempny and Kuzy had more minor penalties than Wilson(and many of Wilson's were matching minors) and Hathaway had the same minor penalties as Niskanen and Oshie.

What about major penalties?

Also if you aren't sure about Gudas, just a quick google search will show you that he might end up sitting on the penalty box from time to time.

Reactions: Hivemind

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Also if you aren't sure about Gudas, just a quick google search will show you that he might end up sitting on the penalty box from time to time.

gudas-giroux-punch.gif

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For someone who talks about ice time as much as you do, I assumed you'd realize that a 4th liner taking as many penalties as a 24min defenseman would be a lot of penalties for that 4th liner.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Tick! Also lol @ pens

I want to laugh but as long as they have Malkin/Crosby up the middle they will get it done, i.e. make the playoffs.

And while Tanev has a stupid contract he is a damn good bottom six guy and his hustle will make him an instant fan favorite. Biggest thing with them is seeing who they move out cause someones got to go.

That being said, if I had to pick the biggest loser this weekend the Pens would be right up there with the Jets.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I don't count fighting major penalties. I just pp's against. Gudas got as many minor penalties as Kempny. I expect his role will be different and his numbers less.

But, we will find out for sure when they play

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
For someone who talks about ice time as much as you do, I assumed you'd realize that a 4th liner taking as many penalties as a 24min defenseman would be a lot of penalties for that 4th liner.

Point taken. The game they play is different though. Niskanen got his penalties defending. I am just guessing Hathaway isn't getting hooking and holding.

So...you don't like the new players?

BTW...Panik takes as many minor penalties as Gudas and Kempny

Sep 19, 2008
Tick! Also lol @ pens
there was a point you could say jim rutherford and mike sullivan could do no wrong. everything they touched turned to gold.

that all faded after last year. this year is more of the same. They caught lightning in a bottle credit to them and got their cups, but are rebuilding and look pretty shitty now. Letting Kessel go :laugh: Letting Maata go :laugh: Signing Tanev :laugh:

Reactions: Portable Mink

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Wow the only time I remember this guy was from when he fought Dillon, my buddy is a huge sharks fan and I watched that game with him. Pretty stoked on this signing, the Capitals are going to be a tough, mean team and I absolutely love it.

Reactions: Bananas

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Capitals make upgrades to fourth line on first day
“The thing I like about Panik and Hathaway is that they both skate well,” MacLellan said. “Garnet had good north-south speed. Panik is a really good skater for his size. So, I don't think that we're sacrificing on the speed side to add heaviness. I think we got big players that can skate and play well.”

“I'm really excited, obviously. I know a lot about the team, obviously playing against them,” Hathaway said. “It's a difficult team to play against. It seemed like a good fit because we play a similar style. Obviously, it's a winning culture there too. It's something that I'm really excited to be a part of. I know that no one in that room wants that to change, so we want to win games and that's exciting and I can't wait to join them.”

“I think they built this team so well, I don't think there's a void that you can really point at,” Hathaway said. “I want to go and I want to complement the guys that are there right now. They have a lot of skill, they have a lot of scoring and they have guys that are tough and play a physical game. So, I want to continue on the growth I have in my career right now and I want to continue to be hard to play against. That's something I hope I can help with them.”

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Dude leaving Calgary to come to Washington is excited for their “winning culture”.... just let that sink as you think back to your 2004 self and how “undeserving” it was to put ovi in that half-filled arena in a non-hockey town.
Back in days when you could walk up to MCI/Verizon center and buy a lower bowl ticket for around $20 to watch Ovie (who would usually score our only goal). Good times...

Reactions: HSHS

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
It wasn’t half filled....more than that...
Eh.. it depended on the oppenent. I went to most of the pre-red rocking games post lockout and if the Atlanta Thrashers or Phoenix Coyotes were in town there was a sparse crowd. Now obviously if it an old Patrick division foe (like the Rangers), the place was packed.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Dude leaving Calgary to come to Washington is excited for their “winning culture”.... just let that sink as you think back to your 2004 self and how “undeserving” it was to put ovi in that half-filled arena in a non-hockey town.
I went looking for McPhee quotes from when the Caps couldn’t land Roenick or any free agent more significant than Ulf Dahlen and dug this up from Kornheiser
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...309-bfd3-cbc35ba6e014/?utm_term=.79fde77ad119

Reactions: RandyHolt

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I went looking for McPhee quotes from when the Caps couldn’t land Roenick or any free agent more significant than Ulf Dahlen and dug this up from Kornheiser
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...309-bfd3-cbc35ba6e014/?utm_term=.79fde77ad119

Some funny lines from that article:

"What are we, Yemen?"

"A free agent deal is the quickest way to build a team" (LOL)

and finally...

"There is another name out there. A guy who knows he has to move because his team can't afford his contract anymore. The guy who knows Washington well, because every spring he's here beating the Caps' brains out.
Yes, Jaromir Jagr.
Go get him."

Oh Tony!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Eh.. it depended on the oppenent. I went to most of the pre-red rocking games post lockout and if the Atlanta Thrashers or Phoenix Coyotes were in town there was a sparse crowd. Now obviously if it an old Patrick division foe (like the Rangers), the place was packed.

I was a season ticket holder then.....felt like 60% or more most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad