Confirmed with Link: Garnet Hathaway, 4-years, 1.500m AAV

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm liking all the additional PK strength. I see GM working to take more load off 19 and 77 and maybe even 43 in that regard. PK is hard minutes that wear you out. Let the bottom sixes pad their ice time with that stuff while the skill guys rest.

Yup. Then our top lines likely hit the ice vs the opponent's PP2 or bottom 6.

This is why it always puzzled me that Hanlon regretted not training Ovie on the PK. Why would you want that? Why risk injury to your meal ticket like that, nevermind soak up his ice time and screw up your lines?

edit: also, Wilson or Gudas landing in the box doesn't hurt the PK as much now

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm liking all the additional PK strength. I see GM working to take more load off 19 and 77 and maybe even 43 in that regard. PK is hard minutes that wear you out. Let the bottom sixes pad their ice time with that stuff while the skill guys rest.
I really hope they don’t lessen 43’s PK duties. He’s an exceptional second wave PKer. Don’t have him on the ice for the initial faceoff, but he’s great coming over the boards to forecheck and deny zone entries.

Also, none of these guys really take much PK load off of 19, as none of Panik/Hags/Hathaway are good at the dot.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019

Underrated take. Great point.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I really hope they don’t lessen 43’s PK duties. He’s an exceptional second wave PKer. Don’t have him on the ice for the initial faceoff, but he’s great coming over the boards to forecheck and deny zone entries.

He's going to get time. But you really can't have too many excellent PK guys. It's exhausting.

I would rather Wilson getting :30 of PK time a night than 1:45 and have more energy for evens.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
People fretting about the term aren't considering that the cap is absolute dog **** this year, but by the end of these 4 year deals the cap will be more generous and if need be these contracts will be super easy to move.

It's brilliant GMing, take a longer term to keep cost down with the idea in mind that you have A). an expansion draft next summer and B). the cost will be even more affordable towards the end to the term because the cap will go up.
not sure many are freaking out about it. It’s more comedy seeing it as gmbm’s MO lately. That $ applied to year 2-4 isn’t an issue.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
GMBM can literally only sign players to 4 year contracts ending in 5. He decided to give himself this handicap because otherwise GMing was too easy.

2960221c-6c48-46aa-9ce2-dd9c3798aa6c_text_hi.gif

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca

Also, none of these guys really take much PK load off of 19, as none of Panik/Hags/Hathaway are good at the dot.
And one of the few who can pk but also turn in true short handed chances. Scoring SH, drawing a penalty to kill their pp, or just backing off the opponents aggressive pp nature. Wilson excels in that role.

Only issue is line management and how to get ovi back out there ASAP when penalty expires.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And one of the few who can pk but also turn in true short handed chances. Scoring SH, drawing a penalty to kill their pp, or just backing off the opponents aggressive pp nature. Wilson excels in that role.

Only issue is line management and how to get ovi back out there ASAP when penalty expires.
That’s when you give 8 a shift with Oshie or Boyd or whoever else is the filler player.

Oshie all but confirmed to be off of PK duty at this point.

Reactions: Sam Spade and HSHS

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Chandler Stephenson’s spot is very much in jeopardy.

I wonder about Travis Boyd. Maybe he'll be our 13 and serve as top 6 depth, not be 4RW flyby sandpaper as we had been trying to use him.

Hagelin Dowd Hathaway

Comments here are good!

Reactions: artilector

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I feel like the Caps are doing a good job of addressing all their needs and simultaneously getting younger this offseason (defensively anyway). Overall, they have added a ton of physicality, PK specialization, made an earnest effort to address depth scoring, and generally are making themselves much harder to play against. This team is getting a playoff style make over for Cup run 2.0. It’s understated, but it’s legit.

Last edited:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Got some ’modern Matt Henrdricks’ kind of vibes. All effort, all team, hard working punching bag.

Sounds good. Pens paid 3,5/6 for their guy so 1,5/4 is nothing! :)

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad