Post-Game Talk: Garbage Refs can't stop the Jets, 5-4 winners in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Puck don't lie.

Ridiculous if the NHL allows the play to continue after a potential head injury.

I was recently certified as a soccer ref.

Under the laws if the game for soccer, injuries are not called for unless the team is in possession, the referee thinks a player needs immediate attention - or if it is any sort of head injury.

Last edited:

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
raw

I went to bed after the 2nd period and even watching the highlights knowing we won I was fuming at the tying goal. f***ing joke league. Get f***ed, Dallas.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I’m legitimately embarrassed for the refs and for the NHL. Shit like this combined with the NHL shoving betting on games down our throats really makes you wonder
Agree. And I'm going to rant:

Hockey Canada and the NHL have a long way to go to achieve true legitimacy which could then allow them to finally achieve parity with other pro sports. Holding up their rule books or even worse the realtime loose interpretation of those rules (by some of their refs) as a paragon of "how the game should be played" is naive.

The last 5 min of yesterday's game had the same kind of feel as 70's roller derby.

The combined influence of the refs, the control room in Toronto, player safety oversight and the rules themselves amount to a meagre pinch of coonshit in a games like this one. When its soft underbelly is exposed, the NHL clearly can be seen to operate in a *deeply* flawed state.

I like hockey but strongly dislike the high degree of discretion allowed to the refs. The game loses its sheen, becomes something less than the sum of its parts, and loses it magic when this kind of crap is allowed.

BTW Craig Button is flat out wrong on this one in my humble opinion. :baghead:

Last edited:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Watched the ending on my phone with no sound as I put my 3 year old to bed.

Woke him up when helly went down.

We we were 3 and 3 in our last 6. Starting to trend as a bubble team. We needed this hard fought win.

On to the next one

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Last little bit about the non-stoppage...

Even with the puck behind the net, a wrap around is an immediate and impending scoring opportunity if Dallas has the puck and the net is open. Then a first pass is made, net is still open, there's an immediate and impending scoring chance. Finally, the puck is sent to the point and there is an immediate and impending scoring stance.

At no point during that sequence was there NOT an immediate and impending scoring chance occurring.

The rule itself sucks BUT had the shoe been on the other foot and the Stars goalie was down and out without a helmet amd we were down a goal i nthe last minute with an empty net, we'd have wanted the rule followed to the letter.

I ref a bit and get screamed at all the time by idiot coaches, players and parents that don't know or understand the rulebook. If a coach bitches about a call i made on their team and I have to talk to them, I often ask "if the other team had done that to your player, would you have been OK with me letting it go?". That often shuts them up on the spot.

Reactions: Aggie204 and braunm

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Last little bit about the non-stoppage...

Even with the puck behind the net, a wrap around is an immediate and impending scoring opportunity if Dallas has the puck and the net is open. Then a first pass is made, net is still open, there's an immediate and impending scoring chance. Finally, the puck is sent to the point and there is an immediate and impending scoring stance.

At no point during that sequence was there NOT an immediate and impending scoring chance occurring.

The rule itself sucks BUT had the shoe been on the other foot and the Stars goalie was down and out without a helmet amd we were down a goal i nthe last minute with an empty net, we'd have wanted the rule followed to the letter.

I ref a bit and get screamed at all the time by idiot coaches, players and parents that don't know or understand the rulebook. If a coach bitches about a call i made on their team and I have to talk to them, I often ask "if the other team had done that to your player, would you have been OK with me letting it go?". That often shuts them up on the spot.
So where does that end then? If Robertson has a player blocking the lane in front of him and he passes it across the blueline, is that still immediate? What if they skate around looking for a shot for 5 more seconds? 10 more seconds? What’s the line? The spirit of the rule is clearly for goal mouth scrambles.

Even if he isn’t injured, which is a whole other argument, what is Helle supposed to do here? Get up and try to block the slap shot from the point without a helmet?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It may be #1 in Canada, and I don't care how much money the little general claims the NHL makes.... but the NHL is behind every half decent sport in the U.S. for viewership and always will be.

What if a puck had hit Helly in the head, what if someone had fallen on him, what if something worse had happened?

I don't care that the refs called it by the rule book, and I don't care what the rulebook actually says... take a survey of everyone that watches NHL hockey and ask them if the whistle should be immediately blown whenever the goalie losses his helmet or even a glove,,, and you will find that the majority would say yes. It's a matter of safety.

Putting player safety way down the list behind everything else, shows why the NHL is bush league and always will be bush league.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It may be #1 in Canada, and I don't care how much money the little general claims the NHL makes.... but the NHL is behind every half decent sport in the U.S. for viewership and always will be.

What is a puck had hit Helly in the head, what if someone had fallen on him, what if something worse had happened?

I don't care that the refs called it by the rule book, and I don't care what the rulebook actually says... take a survey of everyone that watches NHL hockey and ask them if the whistle should be immediately blown whenever the goalie losses his helmet or even a glove,,, and you will find that the majority would say yes. It's a matter of safety.

Putting player safety way down the list behind everything else, shows why the NHL is bush league and always will be bush league.
And that's not even considering the baffling player safety department. FIFA is the worst sports organization ainec but the NHL has to be second.

The sport of hockey is too good to be nearly the 5th most popular pro sport in North America, and you can thank the NHL organization for that.

They can talk all day about player safety, making the game faster and more exciting, and inclusion, but they show over and over that its all marketing and no substance.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I say if a goalie's helmet comes off, it should be an immediate whistle. Make the play mandatory reviewable and assign a delay of game penalty if it looks like it came off intentionally. Hell, even allow a penalty shot if it's warranted.

But don't continue the play and potentially allow a player to be injured/crippled/killed.

The sad reality is that the only way this will change is if a major incident occurs that involves a lawsuit.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
And that's not even considering the baffling player safety department. FIFA is the worst sports organization ainec but the NHL has to be second.

The sport of hockey is too good to be nearly the 5th most popular pro sport in North America, and you can thank the NHL organization for that.

They can talk all day about player safety, making the game faster and more exciting, and inclusion, but they show over and over that its all marketing and no substance.

Some of the other soccer governing bodies rank well ahead of the NHL as far as poorly run rankings go. CONCACAF and CAF in particular are pretty bad.

As for hockey being the 5th most popular, I don't think that's necessarily the league has done. The NHL has got national contracts in the US and has expanded the game all over the country. That's impacted the development of American hockey talent - without a team like the Coyotes we wouldn't have Auston Matthews, for example.

As for the game tonight, I thought everyone played mostly pretty well. The trend of giving up empty netters is not great but I can't count the 4-4 goal. I understand why the goal was given but the rule itself needs adjusting - there's a middle ground to player safety and a rule that would allow a Binnington type situation where you just toss your helmet away to get a whistle.

I think if Hellebuyck got up they would've blown it down, but at that point he's protecting himself and it becomes an issue of who caused the goalie to go down like that- and the refs reached a bit in saying Morrissey did because Benn drove his forearm down, but whatever. The right result in the end and it was OT not a SO for tiebreaker purposes.

Reactions: Jet

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
If they give this play 20 seconds of air time on HNIC tonight, Friedman and botterill will side with jets, Maclean will talk like a politician and side with ref, and bieksa will basically call Friedman a p***y and say good goal. It is written.

sunsethill

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't understand the ruling at the end - I get that it's not a penalty because Morrissey gave a gentle push to Benn, but I thought the play is supposed to be stopped when a goalie is without his mask - for any reason... Liked that Josh turned on the wheels and pulled away from Robertson on the game-winner :)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So where does that end then? If Robertson has a player blocking the lane in front of him and he passes it across the blueline, is that still immediate? What if they skate around looking for a shot for 5 more seconds? 10 more seconds? What’s the line? The spirit of the rule is clearly for goal mouth scrambles.

Even if he isn’t injured, which is a whole other argument, what is Helle supposed to do here? Get up and try to block the slap shot from the point without a helmet?
I guess that's the only question. The officials on the ice have the authority to make those interpretations within the framework of the rules.

And I'm not sure what helle is supposed to do there if he gets up. I certainly wouldn't want to stand in the net without a mask while a guy tees it up from the point with traffic in front. If he was a quick thinker he'd knock the net off and take the delay of game penalty (that's what I would like to think I'd do)

I don't understand the ruling at the end - I get that it's not a penalty because Morrissey gave a gentle push to Benn, but I thought the play is supposed to be stopped when a goalie is without his mask - for any reason... Liked that Josh turned on the wheels and pulled away from Robertson on the game-winner :)
The official NHL rule regarding this has been posted multiple times in this thread. I thought that too until I took 7 seconds to Google it. I was wrong.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Unless there's an immediate goal scoring opportunity - in last year's Cup final Kuemper lost his mask right before a Tampa goal and it counted.

Looking at it again, I can really only take two possibilities of what the refs thought:

Either they thought it was still an immediate goal scoring chance, which is questionable given there were 2 more passes made before the puck went in, or they reviewed for goaltender interference and not the helmet coming off and determined Morrissey caused it.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
The only reason there is an "impending scoring opportunity" is because our f***ing goalie is laying on the ice with no helmet on.
If you look at the goalie interference calls on the overturned goals against NJ and VAN, their players are pushed into the goalie with very minor contact. Yes Morrissey technically helped Benn into Helly, but Benn made absolutely no effort to not run Helly there, and even though you can't prove it, IMHO.Benn took the opportunity to run Helly "accidentally on purpose".

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Love how Morrissey pulled away from,
you guessed it,
Jason Robertson.

Its the main reason Robertson was drafted in the second round. He’s done allot to improve it but his skating mechanics sunk him in the draft. I remember really liking him as a player but many scouts felt his skating would keep him out or limit his effectiveness in the NHL.

The part that I really liked about him in his draft year was that on a shitty Kingston team he led the team with 81 points inn 68 games while the next closest player on his team had 51 points. He was alone on an island with crappy skating and he was still a really productive, tall lanky kid. In his draft year he had the “it” factor but his skating scared off most of the teams. Its one of the reasons I liked our McGroaty pick this season.

Didn’t surprise me Morrissey out skated him. Robertson has improved but he still has an awkward stride and is no Josh Morrissey in that regard.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Could easily tell that the Refs and NHL Ops either want the Stars in the playoffs, the Jets not in the playoffs, or both.

There's no excuse for not blowing the whistle when a goalie's helmet comes off.

Guarantee that if it was the other way around, they would have blown the whistle.

F*** you Refs.
F*** you NHL Ops.
F*** you Bettman.

Congrats to the Jets for getting 2 points in an utter shitshow.
The refs blew the whistle pretty much instantaneously when the Stars’ goalie lost his leg pad. So your guarantee is 100% accurate.

I don’t usually complain about refs but that was utter horses it. Someone is going to die one of these days with not blowing the whistle when goalie’s mask is off.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Robertson is supposed to be fast. Holy shit. JoMo made him look like a pylon.
It was great to watch him blow by Robertson... Norrissey .... (koff), Morrissey has serious straight line speed. I love how his picks his shots on those, his ability to process the game is incredible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad