Post-Game Talk: Garbage Refs can't stop the Jets, 5-4 winners in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Last little bit about the non-stoppage...

Even with the puck behind the net, a wrap around is an immediate and impending scoring opportunity if Dallas has the puck and the net is open. Then a first pass is made, net is still open, there's an immediate and impending scoring chance. Finally, the puck is sent to the point and there is an immediate and impending scoring stance.

At no point during that sequence was there NOT an immediate and impending scoring chance occurring.

The rule itself sucks BUT had the shoe been on the other foot and the Stars goalie was down and out without a helmet amd we were down a goal i nthe last minute with an empty net, we'd have wanted the rule followed to the letter.

I ref a bit and get screamed at all the time by idiot coaches, players and parents that don't know or understand the rulebook. If a coach bitches about a call i made on their team and I have to talk to them, I often ask "if the other team had done that to your player, would you have been OK with me letting it go?". That often shuts them up on the spot.

The minute the puck went to the point it became a low percentage scoring play and the whistle should have blown. Point shots have among the least probability for going in and isn't an immediate scoring opportunity unless you want to stretch that definition well past its extreme. They botched it imo.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Let's take this one step further....

OK, by the rule the play was allowed to continue because Dallas has a scoring opportunity. Fine. And you could also say OK IF Helly had been standing up or at least on his knees... then the ref can look and see a scoring opportunity and the goalie is not currently hurt...

EXCEPT, Helly was lying flat on the ice , face down, and could have been bleeding or unconscious at that point. So forget the helmet coming off, the whistle should have gone because a player could have been in distress.

But again, the NHL and it's rules:

When a player is injured so that he cannot continue play or go to his bench, the play shall not be stopped until the injured player’s team has secured control of the puck. If the player’s team is in control of the puck at the time of injury, play shall be stopped immediately unless his team is in a scoring position.

In the case where it is obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury, the Referee and/or Linesman may stop the play immediately.

"Obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury" ... and what is obvious? A missing limb? Massive blood loss?

Basically, the NHL wants the scoring chances to play out no matter what and they are so concerned about players faking injuries to stop the scoring chance, they are willing to put everyone at risk.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
According to the rule it is a good goal…. If the discussion is if the rule is dumb and should be changed that is a different argument.

I know I would not want to be in net and square up to a shooter with no mask on yikes

Yes garbage nonsensical rule. How is it a whistle when the goalie’s pad falls off but not when he’s laying flat on his face with no helmet, possibly injured?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The only reason there is an "impending scoring opportunity" is because our f***ing goalie is laying on the ice with no helmet on.
If you look at the goalie interference calls on the overturned goals against NJ and VAN, their players are pushed into the goalie with very minor contact. Yes Morrissey technically helped Benn into Helly, but Benn made absolutely no effort to not run Helly there, and even though you can't prove it, IMHO.Benn took the opportunity to run Helly "accidentally on purpose".
Agree with this 100%. I don’t see any reason why a player wouldn’t throw themselves into the goalie if they feel any pressure from behind.

Reactions: ERYX

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I'm not sure it's a teachable skill, as I mentioned in my post. Of course signing a guy like Toews doesn't make sense $$$ because he makes around $ 10 mil per year. What I'm suggesting is you find a guy that's maybe not the best of skaters, but he has a tremendously fast eye hand reflex coordination, and you's sign him for a "specialty face off man". Sort of what they do in baseball, by signing a closer, that only plays 1 or 2 innings to close out a game. What do you think or anyone think of this ?? It is a big problem for the Jets right now.
This actually sounds like a plan..
Thoughtful..

Reactions: GNP

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The minute the puck went to the point it became a low percentage scoring play and the whistle should have blown. Point shots have among the least probability for going in and isn't an immediate scoring opportunity unless you want to stretch that definition well past its extreme. They botched it imo.
That's a very reasonable opinion

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Who gives a shit what the rule is. It is a shit rule. Goalie helmet is off. He is lying on the ice covering his head so he doesn't get blasted and you allow 2 passes so they can shoot into an empty net? f***ing incompetent boobs. Same ref crew who couldn't see the puck hit the netting when everyone else could see it.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This actually sounds like a plan..
Thoughtful..
You can't waste a roster spot on that any more than on a goon

Besides, fancystats gurus tell us faceoffs aren't important. And the reality is that they're right - faceoffs aren't all that important - until they are.

I compare it to the safety of air travel. It's extremely safe almost all of the time but when it's not, it's catastrophic. Most faceoffs throughout the course of a game have little to no impact on the outcome. But the ones that do.... (I still remember Vlasic scoring against us to win that game)

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Old Gump Worsley was looking down thinking get up get up sissy lol.
Yes, I was going to say that the Jets used to play against Andy Brown, the last maskless goalie, who took Bobby Hull slapshots for the ENTIRE 60 MINUTES barefaced and somehow seemed to come through it all just fine. Not that I would recommend it, and I guess they weren't relying on jamming the front of the net and tipping shots so much back then.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
You can't waste a roster spot on that any more than on a goon

Besides, fancystats gurus tell us faceoffs aren't important. And the reality is that they're right - faceoffs aren't all that important - until they are.

I compare it to the safety of air travel. It's extremely safe almost all of the time but when it's not, it's catastrophic. Most faceoffs throughout the course of a game have little to no impact on the outcome. But the ones that do.... (I still remember Vlasic scoring against us to win that game)
All Good points but wouldn’t it be nice to be able to start having a team competition for face-off wins..or watching more closely for that in our draftees…just anything at all to get more face off wins?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Who gives a shit what the rule is. It is a shit rule. Goalie helmet is off. He is lying on the ice covering his head so he doesn't get blasted and you allow 2 passes so they can shoot into an empty net? f***ing incompetent boobs. Same ref crew who couldn't see the puck hit the netting when everyone else could see it.
True, but the other way is essentially allowing Morrissey to put an end to (or at least substantially reduce) Dallas' chance of tying the game in the dying seconds by shoving someone into his goalie. The best solution in the circumstances might have been an immediate whistle + penalty shot, but I don't know exactly how they would define the circumstances when this would be required.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
True, but the other way is essentially allowing Morrissey to put an end to (or at least substantially reduce) Dallas' chance of tying the game in the dying seconds by shoving someone into his goalie. The best solution in the circumstances might have been an immediate whistle + penalty shot, but I don't know exactly how they would define the circumstances when this would be required.

That would only be the case if you think Benn had any chance of scoring which he didn't. If Benn taps in front and they score its a goal but after several plays

Reactions: ERYX and surixon

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No one is purposely shoving someone into their own goalie. An injury to helly would cost more than the game.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Because its a free world. I do still watch hockey, I just don't cheer for them.

I get fans are mad about it, but its the interpretation of immediate.

- Not all plays are blown dead for an injury. Rules state that the play is only blown dead once the injured players team has possession of the puck or its an egregious injury.

- Immediate is the issue here....what is an immediate scoring oppourtunity. Is it 1 second, is it 5 seconds?

I have no skin in the game, but if this was the other way around, Jets fans would be quoting the rules and saying the goal should count.

Helle was at minimal risk....the puck was in Dallas's possession, and their was a scoring opportunity. Also the goalie interference was caused by a Jets player. I don't doubt Benn would of touched Helle going around the net, but the push/lean caused him to hit the goalie much worse. Had Morrissey not touched him, the goal wouldn't of counted based upon Benn hitting Helle on his own.

Wins a Win....move on.
Dude, after this post you posted 11 more times. Just sayin.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
NHL Jets defending a 6 on 5 challenge
All Good points but wouldn’t it be nice to be able to start having a team competition for face-off wins..or watching more closely for that in our draftees…just anything at all to get more face off wins?
Losing virtually every defensive zone faceoff is a major problem for this team, particularly because they struggle so mightily to regain possession of the puck in these situations. The other team seems to play keep away in the Jets zone until eventually they score.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Jerk-arse opinion of the night:

I’ve heard of Laid-Back Camp, but not Laid-Back Goalie!
0C71FAB4-7886-4E72-97BB-849C2DF57004.png

Reactions: Guardian17

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Yes, I was going to say that the Jets used to play against Andy Brown, the last maskless goalie, who took Bobby Hull slapshots for the ENTIRE 60 MINUTES barefaced and somehow seemed to come through it all just fine. Not that I would recommend it, and I guess they weren't relying on jamming the front of the net and tipping shots so much back then.
I can't remember who of his old teammates said Gumper was absolutely terrified of Bobby Hulls shots its those damn curved sticks.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Whistle should have gone as soon as Helly lost his mask, end of story!

Hard to be a fan of the NHL and hockey when stuff like this is allowed to still happen!

All on ice officials from the Jets-Stars should be looking at a 2 week suspension without pay! Two plays where the whistle should have been blown immediately and both missed!

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
And this sums it up nicely. Setting aside all the missed penalties all game, this crew was at risk of having two reviews of plays where they clearly failed to blow the play dead, both in instances which resulted in the puck subsequently and immediately going in the net, and both in favor of the home team. I believe that the "review by the control room" and the subsequent attempt by Button to explain what happened, were nothing more than feable attempts to defend the credibility of a league that probably knows it has failed to keep the officiating at an acceptabe standard.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
It's just not Jets games the Ref and Linesmen have been suspect for years now, Ref's 100 feet away make calls that the guy right next to it wont make and linemen who miss off side calls constantly. The league seriously needs to have a serious look at who they employ and start weeding out the incompetent, but I'm pretty sure that the league is quite happy with the work done by the zebras

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Confirms my suspicion they were looking at goaltender interference and not the helmet being off.
Riiiight..... . But the question then is why the Situation Room looked at this as a goalie interference issue. And not a issue of why the refs failed to blow the play dead.I don`t think that the Jet`s had any say whatsoever in the nature of the so-called review that went on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad