Post-Game Talk: Garbage Refs can't stop the Jets, 5-4 winners in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
It's the right call.....the rule book states that if the opposing team has possession and a scoring chance, then the play continues.

Unfortunately JM was the one to cause the helmet coming off.

Refs got it right, no reason to be mad.
Wasn’t a scoring chance though.
It needed a passing play to make the scoring chance.
If Benn alone tried wrapping it in then yes.
But he hung on to the puck, circled the net and then made a play to the point before the scoring chance happened.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Riiiight..... . But the question then is why the Situation Room looked at this as a goalie interference issue. And not a issue of why the refs failed to blow the play dead.I don`t think that the Jet`s had any say whatsoever in the nature of the so-called review that went on here.
It's likely that Hellebuyck's losing his helmet and the refs (incorrectly) deeming what the Stars did afterward to constitute a scoring chance is non-reviewable. So the situation room reviewed the only part of the play that could be reviewed.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hope Helle is OK.
I'd be surprised if that wasn't a concussion given how hard his head hit the post. It was surprising the spotters didn't pull him out of the game, but usually after you get your head wrung good, there's a brief period of adrenalin where your focus is very good. It's afterwards that symptoms start to show.

Hope Gustafsson is ok, did anyone see anything happen to him? Nice to see Barron back in the lineup though.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'd be surprised if that wasn't a concussion given how hard his head hit the post. It was surprising the spotters didn't pull him out of the game, but usually after you get your head wrung good, there's a brief period of adrenalin where your focus is very good. It's afterwards that symptoms start to show.

Hope Gustafsson is ok, did anyone see anything happen to him? Nice to see Barron back in the lineup though.
doubt he would speak to the media today if it was a concussion

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’m willing to bet if Lowry or Wheeler did this to Oetinger, they would be receive an invite to the player safety office
It's kind of a shame the Jets don't get to play the Stars again this season. Because to me the angle Benn took was intended to make direct head contact with the goalie. Morrissey may have been pushing him from behind, but to me it looked like Benn was taking a route to target Hellebuyck's head. The shoulder was already set in that direction. And that's the way the NHL is, it doesn't protect its best players, and sometimes teams will target them, if it gives them an advantage over the course of the season, which a Hellebuyck injury would. I hope Benn get his...

That said I think a playoff matchup against the Stars would be a good one.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Wasn’t a scoring chance though.
It needed a passing play to make the scoring chance.
If Benn alone tried wrapping it in then yes.
But he hung on to the puck, circled the net and then made a play to the point before the scoring chance happened.
*3 passing plays.

Jamie Benn didnt even get a secondary assist as he was the 4th last player to touch the puck.

It went off Benn’s stick.

Then to Joe Pavelski.

Then Tyler Seguin.

Then Robertson shoots it from the point.

All of this transpires while Hellebuyck is laying helmetless on the ice…

1669505639099.jpeg

“Immediate” is subject to interpretation, but the fact that 4 players touched the puck in the time Hellebuyck was without a helmet, well…

This does not meet my interpretation of immediate…

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
You can't waste a roster spot on that any more than on a goon

Besides, fancystats gurus tell us faceoffs aren't important. And the reality is that they're right - faceoffs aren't all that important - until they are.

I compare it to the safety of air travel. It's extremely safe almost all of the time but when it's not, it's catastrophic. Most faceoffs throughout the course of a game have little to no impact on the outcome. But the ones that do.... (I still remember Vlasic scoring against us to win that game)

Another reason is faceoffs are just 100 per cent luck over the course of a season.

IIRC the record for lowest team faceoff percentage in a season is something like 45 per cent.

I remember in 2.0 season one, the Jets were rocking a 40 per cent faceoff percentage and they were on pace to have the worst-ever percentage.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaskaJet

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
It's likely that Hellebuyck's losing his helmet and the refs (incorrectly) deeming what the Stars did afterward to constitute a scoring chance is non-reviewable. So the situation room reviewed the only part of the play that could be reviewed.
For sure.

I think the officials just didn't have a good view of what had happened in the moment and, a couple of seconds later, when they had processed what was going on, Dallas was in the midst of a good scoring chance (it would be hard not to have a good scoring chance given that the Jets had no goalie). At that point, they probably felt as though they couldn't whistle the play down, because a shot was about to be taken and Hellebuyck was not really in any danger of being hit in the head by it. It's a fast-moving game and not every issue that comes up is going to have a neat solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
*3 passing plays.

Jamie Benn didnt even get a secondary assist as he was the 4th last player to touch the puck.

It went off Benn’s stick.

Then to Joe Pavelski.

Then Tyler Seguin.

Then Robertson shoots it from the point.

All of this transpires while Hellebuyck is laying helmetless on the ice…

View attachment 613302

“Immediate” is subject to interpretation, but the fact that 4 players touched the puck in the time Hellebuyck was without a helmet, well…

This does not meet my interpretation of immediate…
I feel Helle explained it quite well today. The puck needs to ne going in or the player is in the process of putting it in

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I've been wanting axel to get a chance with pld/connor because I feel like he could be a faster version of svech

Reactions: Jack7222

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Just watched the replay of the game. That tieing goal was really weird, I don't remember ever seeing a team score while a goalie is on the ice off to the side having his helmet blown off and apparently injured. I thought the rule was to blow the whistle as soon as a goalie loses a helmet, but I guess that's just a poilite thing to do and not an official rule? I expect that will be updated at some point
I expect pretty immediate clarification on the rule.

If the 5 second rule applies to food on the floor, I would assume goalies losing an mask are at least worth at least a 2 second rule?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I've been wanting axel to get a chance with pld/connor because I feel like he could be a faster version of svech
I really am tempted to do an Axel vs James Wright poll. Who’s got better hands?

and I don’t mean hand model Ala Zoolander because we obviously know which player would be the model.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Saw highlights of the game and just came to say Thank You JoMo! Justice is served. That was complete and utter garbage that the whistle wasn’t blown immediately when Helle lost his helmet! :mad: I thought the NHL was all about protecting the goalie. Or does the league pick and choose which goalies “deserve” protection?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

One of the soccer games this week a player and goalie collided heads hard. The goalie had a bloody nose but after 10 or more minutes the game resumed play. Shortly after the goalie could not continue due to a concussion.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes, he is a faster version of Svech, no doubt, and a lot more tenacious, but so far he doesn't seem to have any type of scoring hands. Maybe it will improve, like it did with Tanev ? -- hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad