Game of the decade vote off?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If we're not doing a vote I may as well put out my suggestions, in no particular order:

Rocket League
Limbo
Journey
Red Dead Redemption
BioShock Infinite
Grand Theft Auto V
Spec Ops: The Line

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The Last of Us.

this gets my vote too, with the caveat that I've only played a handful of games this decade seriously. But Last of Us is a game that's stayed with me more than most others I can remember. Or more specifically, the characters have stayed with me, because they all hit that rare trifecta of being realistic, complex, and not static. The change of Ellie and Joel over time is one of the best development arcs I've ever played. Lots of feels to be had for lots of different reasons. The world was quite compelling too -- menacing at each turn, unsettling in a way that you can't really describe, and with moments of simple beauty when the game decides to give you a respite. The combat is fun, a little clunky and frustrating at times, but it holds up its end of the bargain. I usually re-play it about once per year and don't ever get tired of it.

Reactions: Fantomas

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
this gets my vote too, with the caveat that I've only played a handful of games this decade seriously. But Last of Us is a game that's stayed with me more than most others I can remember. Or more specifically, the characters have stayed with me, because they all hit that rare trifecta of being realistic, complex, and not static. The change of Ellie and Joel over time is one of the best development arcs I've ever played. Lots of feels to be had for lots of different reasons. The world was quite compelling too -- menacing at each turn, unsettling in a way that you can't really describe, and with moments of simple beauty when the game decides to give you a respite. The combat is fun, a little clunky and frustrating at times, but it holds up its end of the bargain. I usually re-play it about once per year and don't ever get tired of it.

The Last of Us was a game that I could never get in to. I disliked the slow, clunky, stealthy combat and (at least early on) did not like the resource/ammunition scarcity (not a criticism, just a personal pet peeve).

That said, the story was beautiful and haunting. A true adventure, and one that I'm glad I took the time to watch rather than just let the game pass me by entirely.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel. Even if I don't enjoy the gameplay again, I want to see what happens with the characters.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Dark Souls. Skyrim comes close but Dark Souls has been way more influential in the industry.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure what order, but Skyrim, Wictcher 3, Last of Us would be in my top 3. of course i'm sure i'm missing a game.

Reactions: brokeu91

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I mean, if it's a retrospective at an entire decade, then I think influence should probably carry more weight.

If it's just favorites then:

2010: Red Dead Redemption
2011: Skyrim (HM: Portal 2)
2012: Far Cry 3
2013: Last of Us
2014: Destiny
2015: The Witcher 3
2016: Titan Fall 2 (HM: Overwatch)
2017: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2018: God of War
2019: TBD

Currently I'd say my FAVORITE game of that time is either Destiny or Breath of the Wild.

But if push came to shove for best, most influential game.... yeah, it's either Skyrim or The Witcher 3.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
But if push came to shove for best, most influential game.... yeah, it's either Skyrim or The Witcher 3.

I love Skyrim despite it's flaws, but the only reason it was influencial was because of it's financial success. It's largely the same game as Oblivion, it's just that it was streamlined further and sold like crazy. I don't think it really did anything new for the genre, or even it's own series for the most part.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I don't know how these slow, clunky games like Dark Souls and The Last of Us get praised. They both feel terrible to play that it's not even worth fighting the controls for anything else.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't know how these slow, clunky games like Dark Souls and The Last of Us get praised. They both feel terrible to play that it's not even worth fighting the controls for anything else.
Well, people do have difference opinions. So there is that?

Reactions: Fudge

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Dark Souls isn't clunky, tbh. Game plays like Devil May Cry compared to Witcher 3 or RDR2.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Having spent over seven years on HFBoards I want you to know that I fully understand the implications of the word I would use to describe The Last of Us.

It is the most over-rated game I've ever played.
I second everything about this. The story was a re-hash of million different zombie-era entertainment sections including books, comics, movies, and other games just put into one game with bullet-sponge enemies, clunky controls, invisible walls, and a story which randomly time-skips at the weirdest times.

I am glad I got to play it and I wouldn't call it a terrible game at all because it is a very good game. However, you lot are looney if you believe this game deserves even one decade of the year vote.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Man. I'm glad I hit this thread and realized opinions don't exist and that people can't have different tastes in games. I've been wrong my whole life.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

member 157595

If a game controls poorly but the game is specifically designed (and designed well) with that particular control scheme in mind, the game can still be a joy to play.

If bad controls break the actual gameplay, that's a completely different story.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Last of Us has the best characters I've ever seen in a game. People always talk about how good the story is, but on that front I don't think it's anything special. Character development for both Joel and Ellie I would put up against a ton of TV shows and movies. It's also a beautiful looking game.

I've never played Dark Souls, but I think challenging gameplay is the main reason most people like it. Playing Bloodborne, the thing I liked most about it was the atmosphere and the show-don't-tell storytelling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad