Game of the decade vote off?

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
FPS - Rainbow Six Siege by a mile.

Otherwise, it would be Skyrim followed by a tie between Last of Us and Witcher 3 for me.

Reactions: brokeu91

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This forum vastly overrates open-world games and RPGs, so I'd expect either Skyrim or Witcher 3 to win, although neither were even the best game of their year.

I'm not quite sure how one "overrates" a genre when they are highly subjective to personal tastes. Part of the fun of these votes is to see what people like the most.

It's Dark Souls whether people are aware of it or not, tbh. Nothing more influential in the past 10 years.

Might be true if the only criteria for the vaguely defined "Game of the Decade" was influence on the general public. The BR craze might give it a run for its money though.

However, extrapolating the widely varying "Game of the Year" definition into "Game of the Decade", I'm guessing the OP means what game you enjoyed the most released between 2010-2019 with the most votes winning the title.

We are getting close to 2020!

Any appetitive for a discussion/vote about our favourite games from 2010 to 2019?

Sounds like fun. I'm in!

Sniper of HFBoards rules? (No remakes/remasters, expansions, etc. etc. I'm probably forgetting some), or are we throwing it to the wind and making top ten lists because I obviously don't have better things to do right now (like actually go play those games). :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hating on Skyrim has become a full blown sub culture now

It is more that people have realized how unimpressive Bethesda is when it comes to RPGs. Fallout 4 and 76 have really soured a lot of people on their games.

About time if you ask me but I really hate all Bethesda games made after Morrowind.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
It is more that people have realized how unimpressive Bethesda is when it comes to RPGs. Fallout 4 and 76 have really soured a lot of people on their games.

About time if you ask me but I really hate all Bethesda games made after Morrowind.

Fallout 4 was still a very good game. I guess it depends on your point of view. Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game and 4 my first Fallout so obviously I don't see these games the same way as people who played the earlier ones. I still played them all afterwards but my feelings towards these two hasn't changed.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Fallout 4 was still a very good game. I guess it depends on your point of view. Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game and 4 my first Fallout so obviously I don't see these games the same way as people who played the earlier ones. I still played them all afterwards but my feelings towards these two hasn't changed.

The issue with Bethesda is very specifically RPG related: they don't tend to write good quests or characters and their progression systems are generally viewed as weak.

Fallout 4 dialogue "choices" are a good example of this: most people who I know enjoyed Fallout 4 didn't care about the RPG stuff, they consider it a shooter first and foremost.

People can enjoy what they want, no worries on that front. But the recent "hey Bethesda isn't very good" narrative is because people used to associate them to RPGs and they have been exposed as not being good at RPG stuff.

Reactions: JBeast

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think The Witcher 3 would clean up, but it would still be fun to run. The games that stood out to me personally:

2010: God of War III
2011: Portal 2, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, LA Noire
2012: Journey, Far Cry 3
2013: The Last of Us, BioShock: Infinite
2014: Don't think there's anything worth mentioning, Far Cry 4 and The Evil Within were probably my favorite games of the year.
2015: The Witcher 3, Undertale, Fallout 4, Bloodborne
2016: Uncharted 4, Firewatch
2017: Another year where nothing stood out, although I think this is more my fault for not checking enough games out rather than there being a lack of good games.
2018: God of War
2019: Don't think I've even played anything released this year yet, as you can see from my list I've been slacking with video games the last few years.

If I were to rank them:

1. The Witcher 3
2. Portal 2
3. The Last of Us
4. Uncharted 3
5. Skyrim
6. BioShock: Infinite
7. Uncharted 4
8. Far Cry 3
9. Undertale
10. Journey - this is a weird one, I have it as my game of the year over Far Cry 3 in 2012, but if we're looking at it in the context of a decade I feel like replayability should be a bit more of a factor for some reason. This game straight up as zero replayability.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Hating on Skyrim has become a full blown sub culture now
I've put over a hundred hours into Skyrim, but saying that Portal 2 is better isn't hating on Skyrim. Some people aren't able to disassociate the addictive aspects of a game from its actual quality.

And this forum voted not that long ago that Oblivion was easily game of the year in 2006, despite it aging horribly and it not even being considered the best game of the year when it was released.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad