Game of the decade vote off?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
My favorite games of the decades. Bolded are my favorites from each year:

2010: Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Alan Wake
2011: Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, L.A. Noire, Uncharted 3
2012: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Diablo III, Dragon's Dogma, Persona 4 Golden (my personal game of the decade), Darksiders II, FTL, Borderlands II, Dishonored, The Walking Dead
2013: Luigi's Mansion, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM, The Last of Us, GTA V, AC: Black Flag
2014: Bravely Default, Danganronpa, Stick of Truth, Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs, Divinity: Original Sin, The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead Season 2, Alien Isolation, Far Cry 4
2015: Dying Light, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Until Dawn, Wasteland 2: Director's Cut, Life is Strange, Tales from the Borderlands, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Game of Thrones (Telltale)
2016: Firewatch, I Am Setsuna, Uncharted 4, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
2017: Resident Evil 7, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, Sexy Brutale, Prey, Pyre, Cuphead, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, The Evil Within 2, AC: Origins, Wolfenstein II, DOOM, Xenoblade Chronicles II
2018: God of War, Frostpunk, Moonlighter, Dead Cells, Monster Hunter World, Return of the Obra Dinn, Call of Cthulhu

Man. 2010-2013 produced some insane stuff. Lots of instant classics out of those years.

I imagine it's gonna come down to Skyrim, Portal, RDR or the Witcher. If I had to pick out of those I'd probably take Witcher.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
2010: Mass Effect 2
2011: Portal 2 or Arkham City. Too close to call.
2012: Borderlands 2
2013: GTA5
2014: Shadow of Mordor
2015: Witcher 3
2016: XCOM 2
2017: Divinity: Original Sin 2
2018: Unsure. Very goods chance it would be RDR2 or Spiderman PS4. I havent played them yet but just based on what ive seen im confident it would be one of these two
2019 so far: Gears 5 for now. may end up being Borderlands 3 but im not buying till Steam release

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm surprised Zelda: BoTW hasn't been mentioned yet, it's certainly up there with the best RPGs of the decade.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'm surprised Zelda: BoTW hasn't been mentioned yet, it's certainly up there with the best RPGs of the decade.

Definitely better than western open world counterparts but still suffers from the same problems gameplay-wise, imo. To be honest I'd consider it the second best game Monolith worked on that year, behind Xenoblade 2.

Speaking of that year, it's still crazy how good 2017 was. Literally start to finish releases that were better than anything most other years.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
off the top I think I would have nier: automata as game of the decade, fortnite (especially early/year 1), ffxiv. football manager, cities skylines, factorio and stardew valley were pretty good too. GTA 5 was cool. didn't play any switch or xbox so can't speak to that

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It is more that people have realized how unimpressive Bethesda is when it comes to RPGs. Fallout 4 and 76 have really soured a lot of people on their games.

About time if you ask me but I really hate all Bethesda games made after Morrowind.

Because those games sucked. Skyrim, despite its flaws, didn’t.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Great game, finally beat it. Wouldn’t call it an RPG.

The Witcher 3 is my vote.

My favourite are The Witcher 3, Persona 4 Golden (I don’t think should really count but whatever), Fallout: New Vegas, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Persona 5 and Skyrim. Honourable mention to TW2.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
My current selections (limited to Xbox 360, PC and PS4):

Top 9
-Vanquish
-Sekiro
-Mass Effect 2
-XCOM 2
-DOOM
-Horizon: Zero Dawn
-Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
-Dark Souls III
-Spec Ops: The Line

-Dark Souls

Still have others to go through, but Dark Souls would be my #1 today. Flawed masterpiece.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
BEST - Destiny franchise.

There should be a worst game of the decade and it should automatically be given to Anthem and Battlefront 2. Hell, just give the worst of the decade award to EA for constantly pushing unfinished, sub-par products out the door and Not learning from those mistakes.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I've tallied everyone's votes and the clear winner is Mass Effect 3.

Well done everyone!

There should be a worst game of the decade and it should automatically be given to Anthem and Battlefront 2. Hell, just give the worst of the decade award to EA for pushing unfinished products out the door and Not learning from those mistakes.

Anthem is already the winner of this year's Fallout 76 award.

Speaking of that year, it's still crazy how good 2017 was. Literally start to finish releases that were better than anything most other years.

2017/2018 were golden years, for big names and indies alike.

2019 has been slow (At least for me personally), although it's starting to pick up now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I actually stopped playing Witcher 3.

I keep meaning to go back to it - but I find it pretty repetitive.

I hit the Skellige islands which is fun but the fact that I'm overleveled for a huge number of quests at this point is a downer.

I'll pick it up again at some point.

At this stage though, I'd take Skyrim over Witcher 3, which I've played through beginning to end twice without getting bored. I'll admit that the mod community may have something to do with that.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I actually stopped playing Witcher 3.

I keep meaning to go back to it - but I find it pretty repetitive.

I hit the Skellige islands which is fun but the fact that I'm overleveled for a huge number of quests at this point is a downer.

I'll pick it up again at some point.

At this stage though, I'd take Skyrim over Witcher 3, which I've played through beginning to end twice without getting bored. I'll admit that the mod community may have something to do with that.

I really loved the Witcher 3, but I personally find the combat can become a bit of a slog after a while. At least for me. Still one of the best games this decade, though.

While I really enjoyed my main story play through without any real hiccups, I find myself having trouble getting back into Hearts of Stone.

I've heard Blood and Wine is great.

I put 100 hours into Skyrim and loved the crap out of it when it came out even without mods. Haven't really touched it since 2011, though. That said, it thrives on open world where others can suffer for it, but it lacks a little in main story (although I did think the main story line was very interesting).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That said, it thrives on open world where others can suffer for it, but it lacks a little in main story (although I did think the main story line was very interesting).

Some of the storylines are definitely better than others.

I have a friend who refuses to do Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild quest lines, which is funny because they are very well done. His hero would never do those things.

I'd say the biggest disappointment was the Civil War questline - which could have been done much better.

As it stands, there are mods out there that do a good job of shoring it up.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There isn't a perfect game, but The Witcher 3 character movement is super bad and that deserves to knock the game down a couple of notches.

Also if the gameplay for Dark Souls is anything like Bloodborne combat where it's an extremely difficult buttonmasher, you lot are crazy for labelling it as the best game in the decade. If we're talking about the best and most smooth combat and controls it is easily Destiny.

The Last of Us.
Lol, no.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
There isn't a perfect game, but The Witcher 3 character movement is super bad and that deserves to knock the game down a couple of notches.

Also if the gameplay for Dark Souls is anything like Bloodborne combat where it's an extremely difficult buttonmasher, you lot are crazy for labelling it as the best game in the decade. If we're talking about the best and most smooth combat and controls it is easily Destiny.

Lol, no.

Dark Souls a button masher? Lol, no.

Is it difficult? Sure, but not crazy hard.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
For me, it's Red Dead Redemption or Breath of the Wild.

Then again, over the decade I have missed out on most of the games people are mentioning as I have grown out of touch with games and will soon likely move on from them completely. I skipped this gen on PS/Xbox and if RDR2 didn't draw me back nothing will. Switch is prob my last console and I only have 3 games I care about that are coming out (Luigi's Mansion, BOTW2, and hopefully MarioKart but they're prob gonna ruin MK by turning it into Super Smash Kart)

I never cared for it, but Minecraft would have to be in consideration for Game of the Decade, no?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I recognize how great of a game Witcher 3 is, but I could never really get super into it. Something about the combat in the game just wasn’t appealing.

I’ve played hundreds of hours of Skyrim since it’s original release, but I don’t know that I’d call it game of the decade. I think there are better games that didn’t see as much commercial success.

I think some games that could be discussed along with these two are GTA V, BotW, Overwatch.

Playstation has had some great games come out this decade too but I find it hard to give game of the decade to a PS4 exclusive, just because I think part of the criteria should be commercial success and number of people who have played. Which is also why I don’t think BotW ultimately wins it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd have to give it serious thought about the various games on my list, but Breath of the Wild is far and away my game of the decade.

After that, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Civilization V, Risk of Rain, and FTL would all have to be in the conversation, and might very well make out my next five in some order, but I'd have to think about it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Red Dead Redemption 2
Batman: Arkham City
Spider-Man
The Last of Us
Mario Kart 8

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Part of the distinction is whether a game occupies a lot of your time or whether it's good.

There are gaming experiences like Bioshock Infinite that I didn't pour a lot of hours into and yet were almost perfectly scoped and paced.

It's no secret that I've dedicated a lot of hours into Bethesda games,the X-Com series and Civilization(s) but even I would be careful to equate that to quality.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad