Game of the decade vote off?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
ME3 was certainly a great end to the series (and I enjoyed the ending so much that I played the entire trilogy a second time just to have that experience with a femshep character) and the Citadel DLC was a fantastic bit of fanservice, I would not necessarily call it a masterpiece.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I feel like that's the first time I've heard ME3 and great end in the same sentence. :laugh: Wasn't that game ripped apart for the way it ended considering the whole series was choices matter and it wound up ending the trilogy on "press a button for which ending you want to see!"?

Reactions: Nickmo82

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I feel like that's the first time I've heard ME3 and great end in the same sentence. :laugh: Wasn't that game ripped apart for the way it ended considering the whole series was choices matter and it wound up ending the trilogy on "press a button for which ending you want to see!"?

I enjoyed the ending my second time through quite a bit. But also I was able to choose the middle option.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Whoever the bugs were were pretty weak as main antagonists since you knew they weren't the real threat.

The game was great but the story was as filler as they come in my mind. It wasn't pointless but nothing that actually happens matters to the overarching plot of the reaper invasion unless I'm forgetting something. It was all about setting up new characters which was fun but not really critical to the plot.

Mostly nitpicks though because as much as I find Bioware "meh", I really loved ME2.

I disagree. The story wasn’t filler. It sets everything up for 3 with the Salarians, Krogan, Turians, Geth, etc. The alliances you make or destroy in 3 are based off your decisions in 2 quite a bit. Then there’s also the Illusive Man and his story set up by 2. Plus all of Shepherd’s teammates for the most part play a part in 3.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The ending to Mass Effect 3 isn't great, but it's MUUUUUUUUUUCH better if you play through the game with the Leviathan DLC content integrated into the narrative. It's ridiculous that content wasn't in the shipping game, it explains so much of the jarring weirdness you hit at the end.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The ending to Mass Effect 3 isn't great, but it's MUUUUUUUUUUCH better if you play through the game with the Leviathan DLC content integrated into the narrative. It's ridiculous that content wasn't in the shipping game, it explains so much of the jarring weirdness you hit at the end.

DLC is both a strength and a weakness for the Mass Effect franchise.

The DLC is excellent (mostly...some was BS), but it also has such a big impact on the narrative it makes you wonder why they didn't put it in to begin with.

BioWare also did this with Dragon Age to a certain extent.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

The initial release ending was basically a different colour explosion with zero explanation, yes.

The amended it with a free DLC called "Extended Cut" that actually, you know, explained the consequences of your choices in an ending cutscene. After that (and, as Jaeger Dice mentioned, other DLC explaining the world) it made a lot more cohesive sense.

In conclusion, I think both opinions of the ending were true and different times. In its current form, I think the ending was great personally. It wasn't the extensive branching ending tree that they said it would be sometime during development, but it was still good.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Bloodborne has a serious claim to GOTD. Most will say Dark Souls, but to me BB improves on it in every way. Particularly it isn't a slog towards the end game. It keeps getting better.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I think I would probably go for Skyrim.

But Civ 6 is definitely on the shortlist for me. The best out-of-box Civ since SMAC, it has added so many layers of depth and planning to the franchise - districts and wonders requiring a tile, limited numbers of builder charges to go with government types, government cards, golden/dark ages, governors, government buildings, pantheons, religions, city states......there is so much to this game and it truly rewards the player who carefully plans his empire so as to leverage powerful synergies.

Reactions: NyQuil

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Skyrim and it's mods are unbeatable. If you compare just the base game it barley makes the top 10.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Id put Skyrim in the top 10, but probably in the bottom 5. Its hard to replay after Witcher 3.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Probably my top ten of the decade...

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Risk of Rain
Just Cause 2
FTL
Civilization V
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Undertale
Super Mario Odyssey
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood or Revelations, not sure which I'd give the nod to for 10th

Honorable mentions

Batman: Arkham City
Downwell
Luftrausers
Rogue Legacy
Race the Sun
One Finger Death Punch
Boson X
Westerado: Double Barreled

Though I readily admit that there are a load of extremely well-reviewed games that I haven't played or only barely played that I hope to come back to at some point.

Last edited:

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
I don't have the time I once did to play all the video games I'd like to, but Red Dead Redemption 2 was definitely my favourite of the last decade. Can't remember the last game I played where I was so emotionally invested in the story and characters and I got quite sad when I realized I was approaching the end of the main story.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Probably the Last of Us for me. The games narrative and world sucked me in. The visuals hold up incredibly well given it was originally released on the PS3(it looks even better on the PS4 of course) and the characters were just plain relate-able.

I could also see arguments for Breath of the Wild and the Witcher 3 of course. I've heard RDR2 and God of War mentioned but I've yet to check out either of them. I did pick up God of War on the cheap and plan to play it when I finish some of my backlog though, so who knows... my opinion might change soon.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I don't have the time I once did to play all the video games I'd like to, but Red Dead Redemption 2 was definitely my favourite of the last decade. Can't remember the last game I played where I was so emotionally invested in the story and characters and I got quite sad when I realized I was approaching the end of the main story.

Same. RDR2 for me. Also really loved the last of us and Middle Earth: Shadow of War

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
oh and GT sport. Yeah it's technically a different genre but when you have a wheel and pedal set, the immersion is great and makes this game so fun.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The Witcher 3, RDR2, The Last of Us, and Skyrim are all good answers for me. Witcher 3 is the best of those 4 though imo

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Are you any good?

Getting better. I'm a B level driver at the moment who is on the verge of getting to A. I could only do so much with the controller. My lap times are usually about a second and a half to 2 seconds off the top guys. They used to be 4 to 5, sometimes 6 depending on the track/combo so I'll take it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Id put Skyrim in the top 10, but probably in the bottom 5. Its hard to replay after Witcher 3.

I’m still sort of playing both.

I like the freedom of crafting your own story in Skyrim.

In Witcher 3 - you have to be Geralt of Rivera, monster hunter.

At the same time, the world of Witcher 3 seems that much more personal and the relationships that much more real.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00