Post-Game Talk: Game #9: Predators @ Canucks | 9:00 PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Remember back in December of 2017 when there was active debate of who would be better out of Pettersson and Tolvanen. Hilarious to think about now.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The Canucks started their "rebuild on the fly" last year as well. They weren't as aggressive about it, but Rutherford said in the middle of the season that the composition of his team was bad, worse than he thought when he took the job, and needed a total overhaul.

They are spending more cap at the moment. They don't have the dead cap outlook we do though. Their roster is predominantly "packed in the middle" with guys in their mid- to late twenties. (In aggregate it looks like the roster the Kraken put together in year 1, albeit with a couple of young star players.) Our roster has more older players, particularly on D, and more younger players on their ELCs than they do (they have 0 ELCs).

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if both teams end the season as teams in the bubble area. Better than some of the teams that are truly tanking in the West and without a complete enough roster to compete with the top teams in the conference.

In his own words:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Josi > Hughes, Forsberg and Saros are in the same caliber category as those guys. Plus the Canucks have had all of those guys and missed the playoffs the last 3 years straight. The sum of all the parts is more important than the names of the 3 best players. Every team has 3 best players. But hockey is a team game. They have a better team than us, not 3 better players.

Meanwhile, speaking of players... now we've played the Canucks twice already, and although I checked out early last night, I can't say I have seen anything from Garland that changes my mind about downvoting him as a potential trade target. :dunno:
As an outsider, the issue with the preds is top-end talent up front. Nothing wrong with the D or goal-tending.
Forsberg is maaaaybe a 70 point forward, he had one year over a PPG , lots of 60ish point seasons and he played at a 70 point pace over his shortened seasons. Obviously more emphasis should be put on more recent work and last year was at 69 (nice) point pace.
Canucks have three forwards who i think all eclipse that two of which might push for 100 points.
Even if you think of it conservatively, Imagine adding 3 forwards who will score 80, 90 and 100 points to your current roster.. wowzers.
Team play 100% matters a ton (Canucks Coaching deserves credit) but you need the firepower too. Maybe preds go UFA shopping nxt off season and pick up a few studs.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
As an outsider, the issue with the preds is top-end talent up front. Nothing wrong with the D or goal-tending.
Forsberg is maaaaybe a 70 point forward, he had one year over a PPG , lots of 60ish point seasons and he played at a 70 point pace over his shortened seasons. Obviously more emphasis should be put on more recent work and last year was at 69 (nice) point pace.
Canucks have three forwards who i think all eclipse that two of which might push for 100 points.
Even if you think of it conservatively, Imagine adding 3 forwards who will score 80, 90 and 100 points to your current roster.. wowzers.
Team play 100% matters a ton (Canucks Coaching deserves credit) but you need the firepower too. Maybe preds go UFA shopping nxt off season and pick up a few studs.
Preds had another high scoring forward MD but got rid of him. Did not replace with another high scoring forward. Gonna miss those points. Looks like Siss is trying to do his part.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Preds had another high scoring forward MD but got rid of him. Did not replace with another high scoring forward. Gonna miss those points. Looks like Siss is trying to do his part.
good contract too

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Season is going to be a roller coaster ride, last night was a low. Let’s hope there are a couple of highs coming soon.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Based on Matt Duchene's performance with Dallas this season so far I'm not sure we really did give up a high scoring forward.

Reactions: ShagDaddy

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Josi > Hughes, Forsberg and Saros are in the same caliber category as those guys. Plus the Canucks have had all of those guys and missed the playoffs the last 3 years straight. The sum of all the parts is more important than the names of the 3 best players. Every team has 3 best players. But hockey is a team game. They have a better team than us, not 3 better players.

Meanwhile, speaking of players... now we've played the Canucks twice already, and although I checked out early last night, I can't say I have seen anything from Garland that changes my mind about downvoting him as a potential trade target. :dunno:
I thought the air was let out after that weak goal, I think it was their 2nd goal that was weak.

Turns out it was Johansen's goal scoring we really miss.
Can't miss what you never had.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I thought the air was let out after that weak goal, I think it was their 2nd goal that was weak.
If Forsberg gets a stick on that cross-crease pass from Josi into the wide open net to put us back up 3-2 I think we probably end up with at least a point (probably better) from the game. Bad goal followed by the whiff killed it.

Reactions: triggrman

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Can't miss what you never had.
I went to bed at the end of the 1st but had a bad feeling when we did nothing with the 1st 2 mins of that double minor and committed a penalty during the 2nd part. Vancouver headed into the locker room brimming with confidence

Forsberg looks like a shell of his former self, if he scores under 50 pts do we buy him out at the end of the season?

I mean he isnt getting goals but he is still on pace for a 70+ point season. So we may have to wait a bit for him to get under 50 pts.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
There’s a dilemma I’m trying to understand. 5 on 5 this team “looks good”. Even the PP “looks good”. They are more fun to watch; flying up and down the ice; nice, crisp passes; plenty of effort; fighting for pucks. On the PP there is quick movement of the puck and they work it around hard to set up shots. But not much happens; not good shots or goals. They simply cannot finish. Seems all opposition goalies look like Vezina winners but everyone knows that’s not the case. Is it as simple as a lack of shooters; just a bunch of skaters and passers? Is the opposition able to just concentrate on shutting down Forsberg and Josi? Or are the Preds just a bunch of limited skills guys? I can’t figure it out. (And I didn’t mention D deliberately).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There’s a dilemma I’m trying to understand. 5 on 5 this team “looks good”. Even the PP “looks good”. They are more fun to watch; flying up and down the ice; nice, crisp passes; plenty of effort; fighting for pucks. On the PP there is quick movement of the puck and they work it around hard to set up shots. But not much happens; not good shots or goals. They simply cannot finish. Seems all opposition goalies look like Vezina winners but everyone knows that’s not the case. Is it as simple as a lack of shooters; just a bunch of skaters and passers? Is the opposition able to just concentrate on shutting down Forsberg and Josi? Or are the Preds just a bunch of limited skills guys? I can’t figure it out. (And I didn’t mention D deliberately).
You've been watching a different PP than I have lately then. Prior to tonight it's been putting up goals pretty regularly. Even after last night were still 12th in the league. We've seen a heck of a lot worse over the years. Now if you want to fuss about the PK that's an entirely different beast.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I was just thinking we should Nancy Kerigen them both
we do score on the PP.

Most goals in the nhl or any any league are rebounds or heavy traffic shots. We need to crash more, IMHO. And until these skill guys learn that, we’re going to be just like this. You have to get dirty to score most of the time.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
ROR about the only guy getting ugly PP goals and the PP is completely dependent upon ROR and Novak. We just need somebody to slow down, take the goalie's eyes, and be capable of tips and collecting rebounds ... Smith, Trenin, Sissons, Lankinen ... anybody.

For the team to move past this .500-ish level of play we need Josi and Forsberg to start finishing ... the team will struggle as long as those two combine for as many goals as Cole Smith.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
One thing that stands out is a lack of scoring from our backend. We used to lean on our D for offense, and this year it is mostly missing. Josi and Barrie are getting assists, but Josi only has 1 goal and Fabbro the other.

We also effectively have a line that does nothing offensively in most games. Trenin, Glass/Tomasino, Foudy/Fagemo/McCarron haven't done much of anything offensively, although all of them (except Trenin) have missed games and have less ice time.

It's comical that Sherwood, Smith, and Parssinen if combined would just edge out Sissons as our top scorer.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Kinda weird, we signed up for a up and down season with the youth we're playing but the youth aren't the ones off the scoresheet for the most part. It's some of our vets that aren't stepping up. Best to forget this one and move on.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
The team lacks finishers. Who are the true goal scorers on this team? Forsberg, who currently can't buy a goal.. ROR, kind of, I think Parssinen has flashed some finishing ability but it's hit or miss.. It's few and far between.

Personally I'm happy to see the team driving play positively but it's not a huge surprise to me to see them struggle to put the puck in the net. They need someone like Kemell.. not saying he's ready.. but that's a skill set that's in short supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad