Post-Game Talk: Game 9 - Kings stun B's in last second of OT - LA 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Am I the only one that thought the ref should have just let that icing call go to end the game and start the shootout? I was stunned they blew that somewhat early and at all to be honest...
Absolutely

Was watching with a couple buddies - one who refs and he said before 'that is quick and shouldn't'

He said watch them score

We all just looked at each other wtf pretty much at same time

Reactions: ProdigalFan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Am I the only one that thought the ref should have just let that icing call go to end the game and start the shootout? I was stunned they blew that somewhat early and at all to be honest...
Yeah I didn't think there would be icing on the play either.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Pasta is playing hurt. Several of the players are.

It stinks that the B's are so banged up this early
Bergeron and probably Marchand too. Bergy got twisted around funny again tonight on a faceoff, surprised he didn't dislocate a shoulder the way he fell.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I'm quite happy with the point,the way they were hanging on for dear life the last few minutes of the third,I never thought they would even get to the OT.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bergeron and probably Marchand too. Bergy got twisted around funny again tonight on a faceoff, surprised he didn't dislocate a shoulder the way he fell.
...and Kevan Miller. I know he wanted to punch someone tonight but he has a bad hand.

I thought Tuukka played well.

The B's are getting banged up. I was talking to one of the guys who works for the B's who agreed with me that they are missing Quaider.

Miller is tough too but he has to be careful because of his hand. Many other teams don't seem to know about Killer but they all know about Adam McQuaid. I believe other teams are less likely to take the liberties they did tonight if Quaider is there.

sigh...I thought the B's played well. I just hope everyone heals up and the team gets healthy.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Did they start the time on the faceoff? The time clock was still on the replay.

McAvoy with two glorious chances in OT.

Bruins played a good game. Quick was very good. So was Rask in his return.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Tough way to lose but good game. McAvoy was great. Rask was also outstanding for the most part.

Curious to hear how folks felt about the hitting. The stat line has the hits about even but it certainly felt like LA really pounded the Bruins. At least it seemed that way to me.

Did LA's hitting game give them an edge?

Would you counter LA's hitting game by ignoring it and adding more skill to the 4th line? Or would you fight fire with fire and bring in two of White/Acciari/Blidh to create an energetic 4th line to bang bodies and stir the pot?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tough way to lose but good game. McAvoy was great. Rask was also outstanding for the most part.

Curious to hear how folks felt about the hitting. The stat line has the hits about even but it certainly felt like LA really pounded the Bruins. At least it seemed that way to me.

Did LA's hitting game give them an edge?

Would you counter LA's hitting game by ignoring it and adding more skill to the 4th line? Or would you fight fire with fire and bring in two of White/Acciari/Blidh to create an energetic 4th line to bang bodies and stir the pot?

I didn't see it give them an edge. The biggest difference to me was the Bruins had no answer for Doughty's ability to move and transition the puck. Even if the Kings were more physical overall, the Bruins didn't look intimidated by it.

I don't see how any of White/Acciari/Blidh would of changed the overall result.

Their version of White/Blidh/Acciari is Kyle Clifford, and he wasn't in the line-up.

The bulk of their hitting came from the D.

Doughty - 3
Muzzin - 5
Forbert - 3
MacDermid - 3
Folin - 4

Would dressing a White/Blidh/Acciari change the fact their D-group is big and physical.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
McAvoy was phenomenal tonight. Gets better every game.

Krug on the other hand was atrocious.

Demote Krug to PP2 and bumo McAvoy up to PP1. He's earned it.

I miss Colin Miller.

Reactions: Bun cook

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I blame Jack Edwards

While it appeared there was a problem with the clock there in fact wasn't - the integrity of the coulomb was not breached. Incredibly it only took .7 seconds from faceoff to puck crossing the line - the puck was in the net before the green light went on.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I heard the guys on HNIC blaming Rask, and was surprised. If memory serves they also suggested the home time keeper could've been a little quicker. ;)

I don't blame anyone on the ice - the face-off never should have happened, as there was absolutely no reason to ice the puck, especially with no imminent danger and without a center on the ice.

It's infuriating because this isn't the first time they've gone brain-dead in the waning moments. If memory serves, Bjork committed a similar icing previously, in addition to Bergeron dumping the puck in in OT that led to a goal. the adventurous end to the Nashville game, etc.

These are mental errors that whenever they happen, we say they are easy to fix. But they aren't getting fixed.

Krug's errant pass to setup the King's goal brought back bad memories of Game 1 in Chicago.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Perfectly played, you have to tip your hat to them. I was watching the intermission of the Oilers and Caps game and Krypreos (sp) and Hrudy claim there was only one play there and couldn’t understand how Rask didn’t know that. What I find surprising is that here are two guys who played the game and cannot figure out there were actually two plays there, one that they made and also one with a shot directly on net from the Center man, which is the one I thought they would do because of the little time they had. Not sure how these people keep their jobs really. Rask had to play the shot from the Center man first.

If the player taking the face-off was a right-shot, sure. But Kopitar was clearly taking the face-off with his backhand, so there truly was only one play - to Doughty or Toffoli.

Even the still of the video that Fenway posted above is a little weird - Krug, Kopitar, Doughty, Pasta are looking at the puck as it comes to Toffoli but Rask is staring straight at the dot.

I thought he had an awesome game overall, but maybe he wasn't 100% dialled in for the shot.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I heard the guys on HNIC blaming Rask, and was surprised. If memory serves they also suggested the home time keeper could've been a little quicker. ;)

I don't blame anyone on the ice - the face-off never should have happened, as there was absolutely no reason to ice the puck, especially with no imminent danger and without a center on the ice.

It's infuriating because this isn't the first time they've gone brain-dead in the waning moments. If memory serves, Bjork committed a similar icing previously, in addition to Bergeron dumping the puck in in OT that led to a goal. the adventurous end to the Nashville game, etc.

These are mental errors that whenever they happen, we say they are easy to fix. But they aren't getting fixed.

Krug's errant pass to setup the King's goal brought back bad memories of Game 1 in Chicago.

Believe me after the game the crew looked at tapes over and over again - I think resetting the clock to 0:00.9 instead of 0:00.4 played a factor but we also surmised that from faceoff to puck over line took only .7 of a second. Time keeper did his job - it was just a perfect storm.

Coach Fluto writes

Pastrnak dropped his right knee to gain extra leverage in his forehand swipe of the puck. But Pastrnak could have done a whole lot more to affect the play, some of it illegal.

The right wing could have taken a faceoff violation. Bjork could have stepped in and violated faceoff protocol again, causing the Bruins to go a man down. Both players could have pulled Kopitar’s pants off, for that matter, and prompted a better outcome than what took place.

In that instance, had the Bruins been penalized, it would have been a five-on-three (the Kings had pulled Jonathan Quick) with 0.9 seconds remaining on the clock. The Bruins could have deployed Patrice Bergeron (15 for 26 on the draw on Saturday) to go for a win, or at least tie up the game-ending draw. Cassidy went over the options before the drop. But the puck fell too fast for Pastrnak to do anything illegal.
“I told them, ‘If you get thrown out with a faceoff infraction, it’s a five-on-three,’ ” Cassidy said. “With 0.9 seconds left, they’ll just add a player. They’re going to run the same play they’re going to do if they had 10 guys out there. They only have so much time. That was discussed. But I guess the faceoff happened quick. Didn’t have time to get thrown out.”

It is fascinating to think of how many things went wrong for the Bruins in less than one second. Pastrnak lost the puck cleanly. But even after that, Bjork and Krug could have done a better job of positioning themselves between Toffoli and the net. Given the paucity of time on the clock, the Kings had no options other than asking Kopitar to win the draw cleanly, pull it to either Toffoli or fellow right-shot triggerman Drew Doughty, and allow one of the two to rip.

So in that sense, Bjork and Krug should have been standing either one on top of another or side to side to brick up the lanes. Instead, both were caught leaning the wrong way, shading more toward Doughty than Toffoli.

“You always have to prepare for every single scenario,” Rask said. “It happened. It just so happened quickly. I had no time to pick that puck up there. Before I noticed, it was in the back of the net.”

I talked to the Daktronics engineer after the game and he was adamant that the system worked as designed. The display might be faulty when dealing with tenths of a second but the green light will NOT come on until there is no time remaining. The NBA makes a bigger deal over it with backboards turning red at no time left but the video was clear last night that the puck was in the net before the green light came on.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
So impressed with Bjork, DeBrusk, and McAvoy.

Bjork is going to score a lot of goals in the NHL. He always seems to be dangerous and can create his own shot and surprise goalies. Very slippery and smart.

DeBrusk is super competitive....high motor, not just a scorer but blocks shots and hits. Should be a very good all around player. Doesn't given an inch out there. He is my favorite of the new group because of the various elements he brings....has the speed of the new lighter forwards in the league but contributes in all aspects.

McAvoy what a game he played from start to finish. Such a strong lower body...great at taking opposing forwards out of the play and separating them from the puck. Big time player.

I thought Krug looked really dynamic on the PP they had.

Pastrnak even though he didn't score tilted the ice in Boston's favor. Was very good in the 3rd period. Created a lot and the other team backs off when he has the puck.

They've got to get a little better in transition to attack with speed but credit to LA too for there wasn't a lot of room out there to do anything

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Krug is to blame for this one, people blaming pasta or Rask need to watch the game again. If our d was healthy Krug should be sitting a game for the junior level performance.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Krug is to blame for this one, people blaming pasta or Rask need to watch the game again. If our d was healthy Krug should be sitting a game for the junior level performance.

Coming from an injury and not being fully healthy, we should give him some time because he really played better in the past than right now. What I am more concerned with are his physical limitations in the corners and in front of the net. They have been there and I think they always be.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Pastrnak was atrocious in OT, and really there is no excuse for a guy with his skill to be that bad.
But Krug made more than one bonehead play right in front of his net, one leading to the goal. I don’t know if it’s the shield or whatever but he needs to start playing better cause this team needs him.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I'm not sure what the injury or the shield has to do with the two mental errors that lead to both both goals. Icing the puck in ot with no pressure is I inexcusable. I say put beleskey in on d in his place...

I kid, I kid....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad