GDT: Game 9: Coyotes Posters @ Islanders | 4:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Statistically, they deserve a better fate. These results are usually a comedy of errors or bad luck, of which the coaching staff can only do so much. There's a big difference between being winless and completely out of games vs being winless and being in almost every game until something goes horribly wrong. If the team had trapped their way to one or two wins but got blown the **** out in the other games like in previous seasons I wouldn't suddenly feel great about the team.

Feeling in the dumps is for teams like the Rangers or Montreal, teams that haven't changed much and have legit playoff aspirations but nothing to show for it.

I will take my doubly entertaining team and enjoy it, even in the losses. I'm not passing final judgment until they get stable goaltending and Chychrun back. If they're poopy then, by all means riot in the streets.
Vegas players underwent even more change and they have played far better than our team. My beef is that the players are skating around and suddenly have no idea where they are supposed to be, who or where they are supposed to cover, and who and how to outlet a pass. These are coaching issues. Tocchet just hasn't been able to get the team to buy into his system. The team plays very fast and very stupid.
well said

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Chychrun is not the second coming of McGinnis. Raanta is not the second coming of Patrick Roy.
Entertainment means not leaving a game each and every time disappointed with a loss.

Perhaps they could win just a few ugly, boring games, as a special favor to me? Then they could go back to losing time and again by playing "exciting hockey."
I'm a Canucks season ticket holder and exactly what you're talking about, a middling team with no talent that grinds out the odd wins and you walk away not remembering the game an hour after you left....no one wants that.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We wanted to be more like the Penguins. So we hired Tocchet.

We should take another page from the Penguins book. They corrected their mistake in signing Niemi by waiving him.

We should do the same with Domingue. He should be waived. Deflected goals is a lame excuse. Every goalie faces deflected shots. Domingue is the only goalie who allows 4 goals every single game. That’s my challenge to him if we have to see him play again. 3 or less, Louie. That’s not a high bar.

If Raanta is ready, now is the time to waive Domingue. Maybe Vegas will take him off our hands. They need a goalie with Subban and MAF hurt and they need to get their AHL goalies back to the minors.

So do we. But we can use Hill for now, especially as a backup. Find a team with three goalies and scoop their spare. Toronto comes to mind. They need to move McElhinney so they can bring up Pickard. They’d move him for free. It’s actually come to the point where McElhinney is better than Domingue.

Why delay the inevitable? Domingue isn’t getting re-signed. McElhinney can work in the short term. And Chayka’s search for a new backup should begin now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Vegas players underwent even more change and they have played far better than our team. My beef is that the players are skating around and suddenly have no idea where they are supposed to be, who or where they are supposed to cover, and who and how to outlet a pass. These are coaching issues. Tocchet just hasn't been able to get the team to buy into his system. The team plays very fast and very stupid.

Please...... just stop comparing the Coyotes to Vegas.

Vegas doesn't have the baggage of a history of bad teams, bad ownership and an annual relocation discussion spread out in the media.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Heaven knows we saw none of that in the past 246 games in which we managed only 89 wins. This is a HUGE step back!

Nine games under Tocchet has made the team unwatchable. You regret having STs, and everything was so much better last year which started 2-6-0 and later had its own nine game losing streak amidst a 3-12-4 stretch spanning late November to early January. How we pine for those glory days after being subjected to these past nine games of decent hockey under the worst staff ever. This nine game stretch is finally where we draw the line.

Am I getting the narrative you guys are pushing?

If we want to play that game of look what happened - it is funny how people continue to state not having Chychrun, Perlini, or Raanta right now, yet during that 9 game losing streak, we didn't have Domi or Richardson, who was arguably on his way to a great start. But that is what gets conveniently excluded from arguments. Or is it that Perlini, Raanta, and Chychrun injuries get conveniently included to sell a narrative?

But, the excuses are for when Tippett was here...

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Vegas doesn't have the baggage of a history of bad teams, bad ownership and an annual relocation discussion spread out in the media.

But remember that everyone mentioned the history of bad talent, players who were young, and relocation in the past as hindrances. Those were pooh-poohed by many and attributed right back to our coach being an issue and not allowing this information in the thought process.

But it conveniently becomes an excuse now...

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
From what I saw we played well much of the game. Obviously not the result we NEED. Tavares is either incredibly skilled or lucky. Probably some of both.

The players are human. This losing streak must be weighing on their psyche as they wonder how they'll manage to blow any lead and lose the game.

f09de4694a05c08e9bdf06ba885adc56--sweat-shirt-my-sister.jpg

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

So, we shouldn't hold Tocchet responsible with this stuff going on? Many held Tippett responsible despite this stuff.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm not really bothered by the losing seeing the team didn't have high expectations to begin the season with. I'm more concerned about how the young are doing.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
So, we shouldn't hold Tocchet responsible with this stuff going on? Many held Tippett responsible despite this stuff.

The coach is always accountable. At some point the coach should be fired if for no other reason than change for the sake of change. When, of course, is open to much debate. I looked it up...longest NHL losing streak was the 92-93 Sharks at 17 games. Longest losing streak to start a season is 11 games by the 43-44 Rangers. We are getting close.

A lot depends on ownership and GM expectations for the season.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not really bothered by the losing seeing the team didn't have high expectations to begin the season with. I'm more concerned about how the young are doing.

I agree that the progress of the young players is important, but someone with more hockey smarts than me needs to assess if they hired the right guy to develop the youth and turn the team in to a Cup contender. I don't have the answer, but that would be the metric I'd use.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

There is a legitimate comparo to be made between AZ and LV on the ice. Patchwork rosters held together with an underdog/martyr complex, a conservative but disciplined style of play, and punching above their weight characterize both Vegas and the Coyotes in their 2009-2012 heyday. Particularly applicable for context when discussing anything to do with Tippett. :D

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
My sling tv also had some quality issues starting at like 615pm. Before that, it was all good but then it decided to drop some quality and heck, even lag out during a Coyote's goal :(.

It's pretty soul crushing watching this team so far. All I want is for them to get a win... they deserve to have at least one. At his point, I can't even say that they would even feel good about it anymore.

I'm going to rag on a player that I haven't heard a ton of people rag on.... compared to the end of last season, Dvo has really taken a step back hasn't he? Idk if it's just me... but I feel like I haven't seen him do a ton of stuff that helps the team win. Pretty quiet so far. PS- Goligoski does indeed slaughter my hopes with those mistakes he makes. This picture reminds me of this season lol.

upload_2017-10-25_8-28-41.jpeg

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Overall, though, I'm still not seeing any semblance of a system in place at either end of the ice. No one seems to have any sort of assignment, nor any clue where anyone else is supposed to be. It's why there have been so many blown assignments in the defensive zone and so many turnovers at both ends. It's why only the guys with really high end hockey sense (really just Keller and Domi) are making things happen offensively. I always felt the rigidness of Tippett's system was overstated anyway, but you need some kind of structure out there, and 9 games in, I'm not seeing any progress on that front.

The games are more exciting because they're playing at a higher pace, but that's of little value in the abstract. It's not going to win you more games on its own, and I'm worried that if conditioning is already an issue, how is this team going to look in February after a few more months playing at this tempo?

Wasn't this basically the report on Tocchet? That he is a good player's coach, good motivator and gets them skating hard, but is lacking a lot what comes to properly implementing and teaching system and structure.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Wasn't this basically the report on Tocchet? That he is a good player's coach, good motivator and gets them skating hard, but is lacking a lot what comes to properly implementing and teaching system and structure.

Right...the opposite of DT.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Remember what guys like Derek Morris said about Wayne Gretzky as a coach? I'm starting to wonder if Tocchet is coaching the same way - just at a faster pace.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Heaven knows we saw none of that in the past 246 games in which we managed only 89 wins. This is a HUGE step back!

Nine games under Tocchet has made the team unwatchable. You regret having STs, and everything was so much better last year which started 2-6-0 and later had its own nine game losing streak amidst a 3-12-4 stretch spanning late November to early January. How we pine for those glory days after being subjected to these past nine games of decent hockey under the worst staff ever. This nine game stretch is finally where we draw the line.

Am I getting the narrative you guys are pushing?

Context: 2-6 to start last year with many injuries, a way worse roster and a much tougher schedule, mostly road games. Nobody is saying it was the glory days. We were better coached with less talent, pretty apparent so far at least. I'm hoping Raanta coming back, the vets being better, and Tocc making adjustments will turn things around. They need a win or two here to get the monkey off their back and get into a better mental state. The losing mentality can be setting in now, that is the scary part and he could be losing the room too. Nobody is in the room so we don't know at this point.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The coach is always accountable. At some point the coach should be fired if for no other reason than change for the sake of change. When, of course, is open to much debate. I looked it up...longest NHL losing streak was the 92-93 Sharks at 17 games. Longest losing streak to start a season is 11 games by the 43-44 Rangers. We are getting close.

A lot depends on ownership and GM expectations for the season.
The longest winless streak is 30 games by the 1980-81 Winnipeg Jets. That's before OT wins/losses. So we had a few ties during that streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00