GDT: Game 78: Red Wings vs caps 7:00 pm et 4/9/24 (ESPN)

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Caps lost Backstrom and Kuznetsov for basically the entire season. Its crazy how the Wings crumble without Larkin while Washington plows forward without their two centers.
From my non Wings fan outsider perspective, the Capitals have benefitted from increased ice time for some of their kids like Alexeyev (2018 late 1st), Sandin (2018 Toronto late 1st acquired via trade) McMichael (2019 late 1st), Lapierre (2020 late 1st), Protas (2019 3rd), throwing Miroshnichenko (2022 late 1st) into the fire, Ovechkin getting hot again, Lindgren being a beast in net, Strome playing at or near his offensive ceiling, and Pacioretty getting healthy again and contributing some.

The Red Wings haven't played enough of Yzerman's draft picks this year. Just Raymond and Seider until Edvinsson was called up too late. Indictment on Yzerman's roster decisions IMHO, maybe a little to blame on some of the amateur scouting with their drafting.

Last edited:
Reactions: GMR

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
From my non Wings fan outsider perspective, the Capitals have benefitted from increased ice time for some of their kids like Alexeyev (2018 late 1st), Sandin (2018 Toronto late 1st acquired via trade) McMichael (2019 late 1st), Lapierre (2020 late 1st), Protas (2019 3rd), throwing Miroshnichenko (2022 late 1st) into the fire, Ovechkin getting hot again, Lindgren being a beast in net, Strome playing at or near his offensive ceiling, and Pacioretty getting healthy again and contributing some.

The Red Wings haven't played enough of Yzerman's draft picks this year. Just Raymond and Seider until Edvinsson was called up too late. Indictment on Yzerman's roster decisions IMHO, maybe a little to blame on some of the amateur scouting with their drafting.
Outside of Miroshinko none of those players were drafted in years after Raymond including 2 picked before Yzerman was named Wings GM.
So maybe it's an indictment of our drafting and development, or maybe over the next couple years we will be injecting young talent into our roster too.

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Outside of Miroshinko none of those players were drafted in years after Raymond including 2 picked before Yzerman was named Wings GM.
So maybe it's an indictment of our drafting and development, or maybe over the next couple years we will be injecting young talent into our roster too.
Wasn't Yzerman named GM right before the 2019 Draft? So I guess technically that isn't all his work/staff, but I believe he was there in Vancouver for the draft.

Overall I just think it hurts the Red Wings when none of Tuomisto, Mastrosimone (LOL), Johansson, Grewe, Wallinder, Niederbach, Hanas, Viro are contributing in the NHL for the Wings. Those are all 2nd and 3rd rounders from 2019 and 2020. Would be nice for one or more of those to pop off. At least Sebrango was used in the DeBrincat trade

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wasn't Yzerman named GM right before the 2019 Draft? So I guess technically that isn't all his work/staff, but I believe he was there in Vancouver for the draft.

Overall I just think it hurts the Red Wings when none of Tuomisto, Mastrosimone (LOL), Johansson, Grewe, Wallinder, Niederbach, Hanas, Viro are contributing in the NHL for the Wings. Those are all 2nd and 3rd rounders from 2019 and 2020. Would be nice for one or more of those to pop off. At least Sebrango was used in the DeBrincat trade
Any of those D could have played on our 3rd pairing this year and been just as fine as those who occupied it this season.

You know those job listings you see posted now and then listing a "great entry level opportunity" but require a post-graduate degree and 3-5 years experience? That's the Wings...

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
But seriously, the Wings played really well. These games happen. You can't win all the games you play well in. You can't even win all the games you outplay the other team in. It sucks. It sucks worse because we don't have much of a buffer.

Reactions: dalem177

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
That goal with 1 second left was more of a slap in the face than anything. Made me sick....
What I personally find even more nauseating is how Lyon keeps the team in just about every game and with impressive consistency the 5 guys in front of him don’t reciprocate.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
But seriously, the Wings played really well. These games happen. You can't win all the games you play well in. You can't even win all the games you outplay the other team in. It sucks. It sucks worse because we don't have much of a buffer.
They've played well in a lot of losses recently, in fact, one of their worst games recently was a win against Buffalo.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
They've played well in a lot of losses recently, in fact, one of their worst games recently was a win against Buffalo.
They scored 3 goals early against Buffalo and then went almost six periods without scoring until the final seconds yesterday.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Their "improved" play has MoneyPuck saying they still have the best shot at WC @ 27.9% or basically tied with Pens and Caps (23.9 and 25.6), even though they have the tie breakers...but that means squat if they don't get results that end in 2 points in games they have left, to have a realistic shot, they need 7 out 8 points still on the table, I don't think 6 will get them there.

Reactions: Ezekial

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Their "improved" play has MoneyPuck saying they still have the best shot at WC @ 27.9% or basically tied with Pens and Caps (23.9 and 25.6), even though they have the tie breakers...but that means squat if they don't get results that end in 2 points in games they have left, to have a realistic shot, they need 7 out 8 points still on the table, I don't think 6 will get them there.
if you look at the games these teams (wsh, det, pit) have to play, the wings have the easiest road. wsh has to play bos, phi (even though they are bad, they'll want to show up for last game of the year against the team that effectively knocked them out), and buffalo. Pit has to play good teams too. The nyi don't have to play great and they can still get in against the teams they are scheduled to play.

**if i remember correctly from last night research lol

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I'm not even really a bourbon/rye guy and I'm intrigued.

Is that a bottle of Weller back there? Pass that one up here.

It is indeed. I have two cases of the green. Not sure I can ship it, but happy to gift you a bottle. Just PM your state and I will check into it. As the front row suggests, I am more of rye man. That said, Blantons and the Colonel are always welcome. (Of late, I am back to enjoying tequila. < Never shoot the stuff. Buy some decent stuff and sip it.

Reactions: FMichael

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

It comes back to the two Arizona games. They lost by a combined score of 8-1 to a bottom 5 team in the league by point %.

You can't expect to beat bad teams just because, but you should have at least split that series if not better. If you did take one game, you'd still be up 1 point on the Caps with a full game lead over the Pens. And you close out with a home and home against a bottom 6 team when they have nothing to play for and you have everything to play for.

It's a real shame to not show up in any capacity there.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
The Wings didn't bury their chances early but they played well enough to be in the game. Simon, Mo and Luc are learning what it takes to win. They are the leaders of the future. This team's greatest weakness is down the middle and that is being exposed.

BLantons to start, Whistle Pig into the 2nd and beyond. Tequila is my Cat... it didn't show up. LOL

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
just lets be grateful yzerman didnt give him the max contract.

Also we need to split Kane and DeBrincat up they're both too small together.
Honestly, kane with raymond and larkin would probably do extremely well, but perron has been playing well to prove that he should stay up by the puck battles he wins.

It does look like DBC has been playing pretty good defensively and able to get the puck out, but that is just simply not what we got him for. He always had a pretty good/ok defensive game and it seems to have gotten a bit better, but we can all agree we got him for the point production. sucks.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The Wings didn't bury their chances early but they played well enough to be in the game. Simon, Mo and Luc are learning what it takes to win. They are the leaders of the future. This team's greatest weakness is down the middle and that is being exposed.

BLantons to start, Whistle Pig into the 2nd and beyond. Tequila is my Cat... it didn't show up. LOL
presuming you aren't trading for him and only getting a FA Center, who do you choose? What is your top 5? I'd still try to get lindholm or stephenson. I think they both will be available and stephenson could improve our speed. And he has cup experience (twice right?)

If we could get stephenson i'd try to find a suitor for copp and veleno. Bring up kasper or danielson next year and you have a middle of larkin - stephenson - compher - kasper/danielson - ras - fischer (yes I say keep fischer 100%). I'd rather have ras on danielson/kasper's wing for the rough stuff/backup, mainly danielson because kasper can probably hold his own in that regard.

1712764243093.png

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Been searching for a bottle of piggy bank, but their rye is my go to adult beverage.
I've found the Piggyback to be just ok. Their small batch 10 is where it's at. After having that, I was a bit disappointed in the Piggyback (and I didn't have especially high expectations, given the price point). I love rye, but with 100% of the grain bill being rye, and not getting that extra age on it, it was a bit too earthy/grassy for my taste.

My other favs for rye come from High West, Pikesville, and New Riff (a brand that gets little mention, but they're doing a good job). Bulleitt is my cheap, bottom-shelf, easy-to-grab-from-Costco brand lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: heyfolks

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Feels like we finally figured out the defense and now the forwards are snake bit. If they scored that first goal they would have breezed through this trash Capitals team. They are so bad that’s what hurts the most

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Needed early season Rasmussen in this one. The bottom six has really tapered off since the slump. We cannot afford to have one unplayable line

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Needed early season Rasmussen in this one. The bottom six has really tapered off since the slump. We cannot afford to have one unplayable line

I'll take early season Veleno please. I don't know where that guy went.

And pre-knee capped Ras while we're at it.

Reactions: Realgud

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
What blows my mind is how someone watches that game and is like "Lyon is garbage".

Compher handed them a goal with a lazy clear up the center and while it was wildly disappointing give up a goal with 7 seconds to go... Is it really a soft goal if you've got one of the greatest snipers in league history in all alone and he absolutely scorches it shortside?

Or is it just any goal that doesn't necessitate a scrambling dive beforehand is a soft goal for you all? Ovy was in his wheelhouse with no pressure on him.

Also... Washington either gets blown TF out or wins a tight game. They play a tight defensive shell and count on their goalie (Lindgren) keeping them in it. If he gets blown up, they look horrendous. If he looks great, they win.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Caps lost Backstrom and Kuznetsov for basically the entire season. Its crazy how the Wings crumble without Larkin while Washington plows forward without their two centers.
To be fair.. Kuznetsov had been more name recognition than actual play on the ice. Legit, addition by subtraction in his case.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Needed him on the pp to park in front of the goal. No easy goals even on the pp. These games are like playoff games, we had a few good looks but we're not going to have much success with easy shots between the circles - and that blue paint is a war zone you need someone big and solid to claim. Since we drafted him I've been eager to see Ras in the playoffs, hoping he's healthy soon and put in position to do some damage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad