GDT: Game 77: Red Wings vs sabres 1:00 pm et 4/7/24 (TNT, MAX)

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I mean, can't we be happy for a little while that the Wings beat the Sabres 3-1 and kept their playoff hopes alive?

Well, I'm happy lol. Folks complain when they play well and lose. And complain when they play not quite so well, and win. C'mon, enjoy the obvious.

I thought lines to start the game made a lot of sense with Ras out. No. 1 priority is best matchup vs. Thompson line and Dahlin pair, and the Compher line plus Seider-Chiarot did the job. No. 2 prioirty is to get Larkin line in matchup where they don't have to worry as much about defense, The other two lines are about balance if you want to roll four lines for at least two periods. Czarnik is least damaging by playing with wingers who don't need a lot of C help to create the chances you want them to have. Veleno is better defensively than Czarnik with two guys who need defensive help. Only change could have been to switch Veleno to Cat-Kane line for the third period, and mostly bench the other three guys.

Tough first shift for Seider but he was a beast afterward defensively. Since Jan. 1, Wings have not lost in regulation in any game he's played at least 25 minutes, 4-0-3. Another very good game by Ed and also Ghost-Maatta. Raymond is not the most important forward on the team, but he's the best forward IMO. His work on the PP goal was fantastic -- great reads and off-puck movement, one-touch passes to open strong-side support and then right where and when Larkin needed it.. Has great shifts in all zones every game and plays with no fear. Love the kid.

They've had good efforts for most of the last recent stretch. They'll put in another vs. Caps and if they're not brutalized by bad luck or refs and Lyon has another solid game should win. Hate to see this Compher line broken up and if Ras is back Sprong could sit, not Czarnik. But, different team with different matchups, so who knows. One thing seems certain, there's a wide open roster spot at C next season, maybe two. Danielson with DBC and Kane would be fun.

Last edited:

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
For those questioning whether or not to make the playoffs because of a fear of a sweep?! Forget that.

Getting the org back in the playoffs and ridding ourselves of the seven year playoff drought show progress to the league, prospective FAs, and such. Not to mention, it gives Seider, Ed, Raymond a taste of what to expect in future playoff rounds.

Also, it may not be a Championship, but it gives the org at least some level of a sense of accomplishment. So something to build off of on so many levels.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Good win. Who won the fights in this game, did not see them as I was out with my family.
Joey V clearly won his. Petry looked like a defenseless slug and went down to the ice like sack of potatoes. But it least it kept him off the ice for 5 minutes.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
kind of a butt clencher because we gave up after the first period, but a good win when we needed it. Need to beat washington and pittsburgh.
Good news the Sens did us a favor and beat the Caps in OT. Would have preferred a regulation win so as for now we are in the second wild card spot.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Good news the Sens did us a favor and beat the Caps in OT. Would have preferred a regulation win so as for now we are in the second wild card spot.
And importantly, back in full control of destiny, based on available points, only the Isle can finish ahead of us.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Need to beat washington and pittsburgh.
This is it. This is everything.

If we win both, we are 99% in the playoffs. If we lose both, we are 99% out. If we split, which I’m sure is going to be what happens (because, obviously, lol), it’s going to be a nail-biting, butt-clenching finish to the season.

Buckle up, boys and girls. If you’re a competitive person, this is an exciting ride-or-die, take-5-years-off-your-life time. If you’re not, you’ll probably be whining and crying about how this team sucks and they’re better off mIsSiNg ThE pLaYoFfS tHaN gEtTiNg SwEpT dur dur dur, the way losers approach this situation, jaster-is-prepared-to-be-put-back-on-probation.

Go Wings!

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
This is it. This is everything.

If we win both, we are 99% in the playoffs. If we lose both, we are 99% out. If we split, which I’m sure is going to be what happens (because, obviously, lol), it’s going to be a nail-biting, butt-clenching finish to the season.

Buckle up, boys and girls. If you’re a competitive person, this is an exciting ride-or-die, take-5-years-off-your-life time. If you’re not, you’ll probably be whining and crying about how this team sucks and they’re better off mIsSiNg ThE pLaYoFfS tHaN gEtTiNg SwEpT dur dur dur, the way losers approach this situation, jaster-is-prepared-to-be-put-back-on-probation.

Go Wings!
Just remember, the real Stanley Cup was the enemies we made along the way.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
For one day only, I love Ottawa

Despite the win, I will say our coach sucks. This team has so much potential if it was structured. They are always scrambling and giving pucks away. That's 100% on coaching.

I'm at a crossroads, would we be better off drafting top 15 or getting swept in the playoffs by the Rangers?
Seems like it’s mostly luck once you start getting around that 15th overall pick, so I take the playoffs every time.

I also think we get stomped by Boston instead.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
First the Wings were historically awful, but dropped to 4th. Then they were drafting 6th or 8th or 9th, and some people thought they didn't lose enough because there was always a magic bullet just around the corner, if they had only drafted just a bit higher. And now there's dissent on whether it's better to make the playoffs or cross your fingers for the 1% shot at moving up in the lottery.

I feel like we should have the Australia section of this board, for everybody who wants the team to lose more games.

ENJOY THE WIN. And if small measures of success along the staircase of a rebuild is so awful, maybe don't hike your plaid pants all the way up to your armpits and you won't be so grumpy.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Joey V clearly won his. Petry looked like a defenseless slug and went down to the ice like sack of potatoes. But it least it kept him off the ice for 5 minutes.
Considering what little he brings most nights - had Veleno used his size/strength and found some meanness to his game - the dude could become a fan favorite...I'm guessing he's looking forward to his modeling career.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think we could win a game or two against the Rangers, Bruins or Leafs. Carolina or Florida would likely drum us out in 4 straight.
And hearing somebody talk about the next level of intensity that comes with playoff hockey isn't the same as seeing it up close and personal.

This roster could learn from even the briefest of playoff experiences. I'd want that film replayed over and over this summer to burn it into their heads, just how much more focused and disciplined and on their game they need to be.

That's not a lesson you can learn in quite the same way if you're golfing before the dance even begins.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
And hearing somebody talk about the next level of intensity that comes with playoff hockey isn't the same as seeing it up close and personal.

This roster could learn from even the briefest of playoff experiences. I'd want that film replayed over and over this summer to burn it into their heads, just how much more focused and disciplined and on their game they need to be.

That's not a lesson you can learn in quite the same way if you're golfing before the dance even begins.
And if they think they've been in games when the refs "put the whistles away" before...

Gonna wake up in the 4th row surrounded by broken plexi.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Agreed. Let the guys get a taste of playoff hockey so they remember what it’s like and desperately want to get back there.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Considering what little he brings most nights - had Veleno used his size/strength and found some meanness to his game - the dude could become a fan favorite...I'm guessing he's looking forward to his modeling career.
Veleno shows flashes that he could be an extremely valuable player if he could get his shit together. That fight was a good example, who the hell knew JFV could fight like that?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It seems Lalonde benched both Veleno and Petry for fighting. I thought it was very wrong to pick up the fight there, the timing was wrong.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
It seems Lalonde benched both Veleno and Petry for fighting. I thought it was very wrong to pick up the fight there, the timing was wrong.
Not sure if they got benched, but it wouldn’t have been for fighting. Probably because they would take so long to make a decision when breaking out of our own zone, which would lead to turnovers.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

He got wrestled off balance not KO'd?

How did he look defenseless? Not saying he looked like a champ either, just, the fight never like, even began. I'd have to look back but not sure even 1 punch was thrown.

Also, yeah, Veleno was pissed, rightfully so. Kudos to Bryann and the refs for letting it roll. He knew he messed up, refs too. That hit was dangerous as all get out going into the boards like that. Outside of no call, everyone did the right thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad