GDT: Game 76: Red Wings vs rags 7:00 pm et 4/5/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The vitriol lol. Not sure a lot of you guys/gals could handle a playoff series.

It was a good effort, could have won. I thought Miller lifted Perron's stick into his own face, but my stream was a little blurry at that moment. Perron was good overall but the lack of stick discipline/control is ... frustrating to put it mildly. Chiarot bobbled what might have been a clear, but he didn't have a lot of time to get it right. Not a routine clear by any means from deep in the corner. Czarnik line out there with Ghost-Walman immediately after going up 3-2 was not a good idea. Like, a really bad idea. They had opportunities after that though, just couldn't finish. Not a great night for Mo. Healthy or not, Walman is not strong enough, doesn't use any leverage in battles. Petry was good, Ed good and getting better every game.

On to the next one. It's all still up for grabs.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I feel like some nights this team plays really hard and just can't connect the dots. And then some nights they can whiz the puck around the rink tape to tape but seem disinterested in going to the tough spots on the ice and grinding. When they put both sides of that game together, they are a really tough team. But it seems like they can only bring one dynamic at a time.
I'm convinced that this is actually a team of robots, and somewhere is a switch that toggles whether they are only allowed to touch the puck if they're within 3 feet of the boards.

They're called high danger areas for a reason. Get some traffic in front and take the puck to a location that actually requires the goalie to be awake to make a save.

Reactions: lgrws91

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We have so many other options who can’t possibly be as bad as him but you know…. Lalonde.

Dude had Veleno on for the last shift of the game down a goal with the goalie pulled.
Veleno has scored FOUR goals in his last like 64 games
After the Kane-Larkin-Raymond-Debrincat-Perron-Ghost 2 min shift we have 7 other forwards to put out there.

So no matter what you would be able to scream about Lalonde putting out one of Czarnik-Veleno-Fischer or Petry or Chiarot or an acting weird Walman.

It's such a worthless complaint and you're repeating it. Players can't play 5 min shifts. It sucks but it's hockey.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
My son and I said the same out loud - ‘wtf is Veleno doing out there’!!??

If it’s not dumb mistakes by the players - it’s the ineptitude behind the bench.
This coach makes many dumb mistakes and playing Veleno in the last min when you chase the tying goal is just another good example.
The vitriol lol. Not sure a lot of you guys/gals could handle a playoff series.

It was a good effort, could have won. I thought Miller lifted Perron's stick into his own face, but my stream was a little blurry at that moment. Perron was good overall but the lack of stick discipline/control is ... frustrating to put it mildly. Chiarot bobbled what might have been a clear, but he didn't have a lot of time to get it right. Not a routine clear by any means from deep in the corner. Czarnik line out there with Ghost-Walman immediately after going up 3-2 was not a good idea. Like, a really bad idea. They had opportunities after that though, just couldn't finish. Not a great night for Mo. Healthy or not, Walman is not strong enough, doesn't use any leverage in battles. Petry was good, Ed good and getting better every game.

On to the next one. It's all still up for grabs.
This loss changed nothing as both caps and philly lost. However ONE point was so huge in this game.
This makes Perron's penalty crucial as this is his 6th one, all of them bad ones.
DeBrincat 1 goal in 16 games, he can't buy one.
Fabbri -2 and 2 penalties.
Why Lalonde puts his worst players who btw struggle that night is unbelievable. He puts Czarnik, Sprong, Fabbri, Gostibehere and Walman just after we scored a goal and took the lead for the 1st time this game and plays Veleno in last min. Putting that line on the ice was like begging for a goal for the Rangers.
The line of cat- Larkin - Raymond before Kane got here was pretty darn good and winning games. Kane gets here and this line is non existent. I would think this would be a thought of newsy but I dunno ? Maybe try it again, before it gets too late.
DeBrincat has 1 goal in last 16 games. The coach can't figure out how to get him out of the slump. Surprise.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
This coach makes many dumb mistakes and playing Veleno in the last min when you chase the tying goal is just another good example.

This loss changed nothing as both caps and philly lost. However ONE point was so huge in this game.
This makes Perron's penalty crucial as this is his 6th one, all of them bad ones.
DeBrincat 1 goal in 16 games, he can't buy one.
Fabbri -2 and 2 penalties.
Why Lalonde puts his worst players who btw struggle that night is unbelievable. He puts Czarnik, Sprong, Fabbri, Gostibehere and Walman just after we scored a goal and took the lead for the 1st time this game and plays Veleno in last min. Putting that line on the ice was like begging for a goal for the Rangers.

DeBrincat has 1 goal in last 16 games. The coach can't figure out how to get him out of the slump. Surprise.
Very well said!! I was so mad he put them out after we scored a goal. That 3rd pair had no business going out there over ed and petry and yet that is who coaches put out and we got scored on. Steve 100% needs to address coaching when this season is over because to win 4 games in 30 days is an utter collapse and poor choices like this are not good enough!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Very well said!! I was so mad he put them out after we scored a goal. That 3rd pair had no business going out there over ed and petry and yet that is who coaches put out and we got scored on. Steve 100% needs to address coaching when this season is over because to win 4 games in 30 days is an utter collapse and poor choices like this are not good enough!
Sprong has been scratched several games and is known for not being good defensively, this was his 1st game back. Czarnik already made a huge mistake giving them their 1st goal and was obviously nervous. Gostibehere is known for being bad defensively. And Walman was out of the lineup so probably a bit rusty.
We get our 1st lead of the game and Lalonde sends them to take the faceoff!?!?!? He is mad.

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Sprong has been scratched several games and is known for not being good defensively, this was his 1st game back. Czarnik already made a huge mistake giving them they 1st goal and was obviously nervous. Gostibehere is known for being bad defensively. And Walman was out of the lineup so probably a bit rusty.
We get our 1st lead of the game and Lalonde sends them to take the faceoff!?!?!? He is mad.
I'm ready for ghost to sit for a game for maata and let edvinsson take his spot on the PP because ghost has been so bad defensively! The problem is all these guys have been making mistakes for the past month and it keeps happening over and over. It's like the definition of insanity. But that's because the coaches are not holding any of these players accountable.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'm ready for ghost to sit for a game for maata and let edvinsson take his spot on the PP because ghost has been so bad defensively! The problem is all these guys have been making mistakes for the past month and it keeps happening over and over. It's like the definition of insanity. But that's because the coaches are not holding any of these players accountable.
I don't understand why he didn't go back to Walman Seider, Chiarot Petry, and then Edvidson someone. Walman and Seider have chemistry, Chiarot and Seider don't, and Edvidson would give us solid 3rd pair.
He should have gone with 7 + 11 last night.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
I don't understand why he didn't go back to Walman Seider, Chiarot Petry, and then Edvidson someone. Walman and Seider have chemistry, Chiarot and Seider don't, and Edvidson would give us solid 3rd pair.
He should have gone with 7 + 11 last night.
Disagree with you there. Edvinsson was our best D tonight and he seems to be getting better each game. 3rd pair is a waste of time for him.

Honestly walman and seider have not been a good pair for much of this year so I don't mind chariot with seider they have been okay overall. But after this year they need to figure out how to get rid of some guys to bring in more youth on D.

Reactions: lgrws91

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Disagree with you there. Edvinsson was our best D tonight and he seems to be getting better each game. 3rd pair is a waste of time for him.

Honestly walman and seider have not been a good pair for much of this year so I don't mind chariot with seider they have been okay overall. But after this year they need to figure out how to get rid of some guys to bring in more youth on D.
I think it is a big problem for us fans to know what is right as we don't know anything about players' injuries and health. We don't know who is 100% and who is not.
I have been praising Edvidson quite a lot, but we need to spread the wealth. I also think that Maatta is our best defender in his ROLE. Not the best defender on the team, but the best defender defensively in his role.
It seems Petry plays much better with Edvidson. His last 2 games were maybe the best he has played for this team.
I also think Seider plays a bit worse defensively with Chiarot than with Walman.
But I think Lalonde, DeBrincat, Perron and Fabbri are the ones who don't perform.
Larkin doesn't get enough help, neither defensively nor offensively. Copp and Compher have been much better of late, but Kane or/and Raymond don't step up in big games. DeBrincat is completely invisible.
We got 3 points out of 4 games vs very good teams. Now it is 3 playoff games vs the teams we fight for the playoff spot.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Maatta is the team's best with +15, Gostibehere is the team's worst -19.

Reactions: Sentinel

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The line of cat- Larkin - Raymond before Kane got here was pretty darn good and winning games. Kane gets here and this line is non existent. I would think this would be a thought of newsy but I dunno ? Maybe try it again, before it gets too late.
DeBrincat has 1 goal in his last 17 games, 7 points and is -6.

So what do the posters here think? Is it the coach? Or is it the player?
It would be much easier for everyone if he can get his scoring touch back. This would not be a big deal had we had #2 center. Copp and Compher have been better lately, but I was hoping for 4 points in our last 4 games, though I have to say I am happy with 3 points too as it was realistic.
I also think they have played great and entertaining hockey.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
After the Kane-Larkin-Raymond-Debrincat-Perron-Ghost 2 min shift we have 7 other forwards to put out there.

So no matter what you would be able to scream about Lalonde putting out one of Czarnik-Veleno-Fischer or Petry or Chiarot or an acting weird Walman.

It's such a worthless complaint and you're repeating it. Players can't play 5 min shifts. It sucks but it's hockey.
Fabbri, Sprong, Copp, Seider, Compher? Keep Kane out who doesn’t skate that hard anyways? There’s options who aren’t joe Veleno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad