GDT: Game 76: Red Wings vs rags 7:00 pm et 4/5/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

MIKELGRW

Jul 13, 2022
South Florida
Screenshot (71).png

Screenshot (72).png

7 games remaining, Let's Go Boys!
Lyon is in net.
DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Perron-Compher-Raymond
Veleno-Copp-Fischer
Fabbri-Czarnik-Sprong
Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Walman-Gostisbehere
Maatta-Holl (extras)
Rasmussen (upper body) out.

Reactions: wings95

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
That's literally what he said in the postgame. I forget which writer it was, but they tweeted it out.
well i take it back then. I thought he got a hit to the head or something. That's interesting.

No, Veleno wasn’t benched — at least Detroit coach Derek Lalonde won’t call it that. After all, Veleno played three shifts in the third period, including the response shift right after his Red Wings took a 3-2 lead. That’s not a role given to someone in the doghouse. Instead, this lack of ice time came from Veleno’s inconsistency. Whereas Lalonde and his staff found repeatable results from the top nine, Veleno and the fourth line took the back seat due to some mistakes early on.

“You’re seeking consistency from him,” Lalonde said Wednesday. “... Last game, it kind of got away from us a little bit in that he only had a handful of minutes. But it was just (because) Tampa’s a different animal on the road. Every time I was ready to have him up, (Brayden) Point and (Nikita) Kucherov were coming out and then the special teams started rolling. And then we just kind of got into a little rhythm — I wouldn’t say survival, but we want to get through as many minutes as we could.”

Reactions: norrisnick

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Ok proof now he doesn't know how to figure out the lineup. I mean how do you say that? Unless you won't own up to that you f***ed up.
They won the game? How is that f***ing up?

I don't see the issue with shortening the bench this late in the season when you are playing must win games.

If you look at shift charts or toi against Tables it's quite clear that Lalonde wanted to match up the Compher line vs Points line, and Larkin vs Tampas 2nd line (and succeded, which is impressive in an away game).

The Rasmussen and Veleno lines got the left overs.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I don't see the issue with shortening the bench this late in the season when you are playing must win games.

If you look at shift charts or toi against Tables it's quite clear that Lalonde wanted to match up the Compher line vs Points line, and Larkin vs Tampas 2nd line (and succeded, which is impressive in an away game).

So you're saying we should take a timeout to acknowledge Lalonde's game management?

See what I did there? :naughty:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Damn, said I wasn't going to another game this year.... and then my GF's friend invites her and me to the game tonight, last night....

Not bad other than I got to hang with the other girls Boyfriend who's a bit of a Geek/Nerd and from New York(Staten) but, hey, it's fine.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Can't wait for this one tonight. Flew out for this one. I'll be there at the game tonight with a friend. He's also a Rags fan. I don't care how we win, just win! Nice to see Sprong back. Kinda sucks that it takes an injury to get him back in the lineup. Why is Maatta still sitting?

Reactions: wings95

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Ok proof now he doesn't know how to figure out the lineup. I mean how do you say that? Unless you won't own up to that you f***ed up.

What. You say that because you are in desperate for points/wins whenever you can get them now and if you're playing matchup hockey and the other team keeps putting out their top lines, guys on the energy line that isn't the shutdown line don't play.

Honestly, this is stretching to find something to hate Lalonde about. I mean, I don't have a problem with that reasoning for why a bottom six forward doesn't get ice time. If you're matching up better players against Kucherov and Point and they keep running Kucherov and Point out there and you get a bit out of whack because of specialty teams... I can certainyl see it happening. For real though, 90% of you would want to fire Veleno out of a cannon if he played Kucherov and Kucherov walked him.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The season pretty much comes down to this.
I often wonder if people get tired of saying this every single game for the last 25 games of the season
Who do you remove on the left side to put him in?
I've never understood the obsession with handedness. Hockey is a fluid game. You switch sides often. There are pros and cons to being a lefty on the right side and being a righty on the right side

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

Yeah I get it I guess. But don't overmanage it and tire out the other lines doing it though. Balance the lines a little better then.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Yeah I get it I guess. But don't overmanage it and tire out the other lines doing it though. Balance the lines a little better then.

Except he didn't overmanage it or unbalance the other lines to the point that they got so tired they couldn't get the job done.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I've never understood the obsession with handedness. Hockey is a fluid game. You switch sides often. There are pros and cons to being a lefty on the right side and being a righty on the right side
It matters a lot for defenseman (forwards not so much). Being on your forehand when defending to the outside, when on the half wall or in the corner in a puck battle, when breaking the puck out and transitioning... you want lefties on the left side and righties on the right side because it gives them the best chance to defend and start the transition game. Some people don't like to hear this, but they've never played hockey, soooo. The margin of error at the NHL level is so small, you can't really afford to handcuff your defensemen by putting them on the opposite side if you can help it.

Now, yes, in some rare cases a guy will actually be as good on his off-hand in the defensive and neutral zones (I always think of Trevor Daley here), and in other cases you can shoehorn an offensive defenseman who sucks at defending either way onto his off-side (Ghost) because it is actually an advantage to be on your off-hand in the offensive zone with possession. But most of the time when dmen in the NHL play their off-side it's simply because of numbers.... there are a lot more lefties than righties in hockey. Some lefties are going to have to play the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad