GDT: [Game #74] Dallas Stars @ Chicago Blackhawks – 7:30 PM CT (BSSW)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't think the Stars overpaid for him and frankly it was a genius move by Nill that will be looked back at as a trendsetter. Not his fault the coach is now botching it.
Trendsetting? That kind of trade is nothing new for the NHL- I compared it with the David Rundblad trade in the summer.

Nils has played 60 games this year- I don't get how that can be considered "botched". But the facts are he's defensively porous and clearly PDB has trust issues with him right now. He's weak on the puck. His decision making is questionable. There's a ton of flashes- and it certainly looks like he will be a good piece on the blueline but Hanley's a better defender and I guess that's what the coach is looking for now.

Reactions: LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I still don't get scratching him for Hanley.
Goals against with Hanley on the ice: 1.56 per 60
Goals against with Lundkvist on the ice: 2.66 per 60

xG against with Hanley on the ice: 1.74 per 60
xG against with Lundkvist on the ice: 2.59 per 60

Hanley's the safer play on the back end. Even if he doesn't bring the dynamic offense that Lundkvist might offer- he's reliable and PDB knows what he's getting.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Goals against with Hanley on the ice: 1.56 per 60
Goals against with Lundkvist on the ice: 2.66 per 60

xG against with Hanley on the ice: 1.74 per 60
xG against with Lundkvist on the ice: 2.59 per 60

Hanley's the safer play on the back end. Even if he doesn't bring the dynamic offense that Lundkvist might offer- he's reliable and PDB knows what he's getting.
Lundkvist also has the problem of not generating a whole lot of offense the other way.* If his mistakes and gambles were leading to goals, he'd get a lot more leash. Coaches can be hard on young defenders, but coaches aren't idiots. If a young guy is making things happen while playing through mistakes, coaches can be more lenient than what we're seeing from DeBoer here.

* But I do need to repeat that Lundkvist has already put up more points in his 60 games this season than Honka did over his whole time as a Star. I say that to highlight however disappointed you want to be in Lundkvist he's still miles better than whatever Honka brought.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Lundkvist also has the problem of not generating a whole lot of offense the other way.* If his mistakes and gambles were leading to goals, he'd get a lot more leash. Coaches can be hard on young defenders, but coaches aren't idiots. If a young guy is making things happen while playing through mistakes, coaches can be more lenient than what we're seeing from DeBoer here.

* But I do need to repeat that Lundkvist has already put up more points in his 60 games this season than Honka did over his whole time as a Star. I say that to highlight however disappointed you want to be in Lundkvist he's still miles better than whatever Honka brought.
The wild thing is that Nils' P/60 at even strength is 2nd among D for this team. I really think it comes down to being reliable defensively and he just doesn't bring it.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
hell to the yes:
WyGef4W.jpg

we've discovered a loophole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad