Post-Game Talk: Game 71 - Blue Jackets 5 BRUINS 4 F/OT

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Has nothing to do with me liking Rask. This is not high school. It is based on play and what you have done. Rask has not done much yet. Individual awards aside.

Actually yes, NEMI and MAF were great when they won, They were better then the goalies that they faced at the highest level of play in the sportbthat year. So yes, they were great. They may not be as good as RASK in the regular season, but they have played at a level he never has when it counted the most. Thats the definition of achieving greatness.

And, they are in "the club" The club that Rask is not in. the starting goalie who wins the cup club. Lets hope he gets there and does not blow this opportunity he has in front of him. He is 30 now and the excuses get hollow as the years go by.

So MAF wins it with three top three picks in Crosby, Malkin and Staal (they scored 41% of the Penguins play-off goals) and Niemi who benefitted from the Hawks fortunes of high drafting as well.

What series has Rask "blown"? Hard to pin the Philly series on him, but I do think he could have been better.

His 2013 play-offs are among the best in modern day history.

Montreal series, not his best but not terrible, certainly cant blame him when the Bruins scored 1 goal in the final 2 games. He was phenomenal vs the Wings

Ottawa series I thought he was very good.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Rask play-offs vs those two in those two designated seasons.

1. 2013 Rask .940sp 1.88 ga
2. 2014 Rask .928sp 1.99 ga
3. 2017 Rask .920sp 2.28ga
4. 2010 Rask .912sp 2.61ga
5. 2010 Niemi .910sp 2.63ga
6. 2008 Fleury .908sp 2.61ga

Reactions: bearcountry17

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Don't expect a response. He does this all the time. Makes outlandish comments about Rask, then disappears when confronted by actual facts and numbers that annihilate his entire argument.

He'll wait for these posts to be buried a little, then come back and ignore them outright or pretend he never saw them (even though with the new system it's impossible not to see when someone replies to your posts). Dude should change his name to Shrek.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I suppose back in the 2003 playoffs Giguere wasn't that good either because the Ducks didn't win the cup that year...

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
So, according to you, when grading a player, you ignore everything except Cup wins? Not rhetorical. I want an answer.

Once again [because you conveniently ignored yesterday's posts about this]

Rask had a .940 save percentage and 1.88 GAA in the 2013 playoffs.

Marc Andre-Fleury had a .908 and 2.61 for his cup win.
Niemi had a .910 and 2.63 for his cup win.

Please explain how those two "played at a level Rask never has when it counted the most". Not rhetorical. I want an answer.

Look.....this isn't golf or singles tennis. Hockey is a team sport. You can be the best player to ever play the game and not win a Cup if the team around you isn't good enough, isn't healthy enough, isn't coached as well, isn't [insert 10 other factors here] enough......I can only hope you are trolling at this point and don't REALLY believe what you are posting because, honestly, it makes zero sense.
They WON........Thats how. I dont care what the save percentage is or when or VS who........THEY WON. That my friend is all that counts.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
They WON........Thats how. I dont care what the save percentage is or when or VS who........THEY WON. That my friend is all that counts.

When grading the team, yes.

When grading an individual player, then no.

Unless your argument is that Trent Dilfer was a great player and Dan Marino wasn't. Go ahead. Say it. I double dog dare you.

Reactions: Chief Nine

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
So MAF wins it with three top three picks in Crosby, Malkin and Staal (they scored 41% of the Penguins play-off goals) and Niemi who benefitted from the Hawks fortunes of high drafting as well.

What series has Rask "blown"? Hard to pin the Philly series on him, but I do think he could have been better.

His 2013 play-offs are among the best in modern day history.

Montreal series, not his best but not terrible, certainly cant blame him when the Bruins scored 1 goal in the final 2 games. He was phenomenal vs the Wings

Ottawa series I thought he was very good.
He lost in 2013
He lost VS Montreal
He lost vs Ottowa
.....................................................Why is it he always has lost ? Sorry Lou, but if you want to be considered one of the best, you have to WIN.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
When grading the team, yes.

When grading an individual player, then no.

Unless your argument is that Trent Dilfer was a great player and Dan Marino wasn't.
Off the top of my head around 19 goalies have won the last 45 cups....Not exact but somewhere around there.

Why do you think that is ? Because the goalies that win are better then the goalies that they beat. Pretty simple.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Off the top of my head around 19 goalies have won the last 45 cups....Not exact but somewhere around there.

Why do you think that is ? Because the goalies that win are better then the goalies that they beat. Pretty simple.

It isn't that simple. It's a team game. I don't know why it's so tough for you to understand. Your agenda is absurd.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Can I hold you to this the next time Rask lets in 4 softies and the Bruins win it in OT?
All i want is the guy to win a cup and earn the praise and salary he gets....Why is that asking to much ? I have to kiss his Rask just because he won a Vezina and has spurts of greatness ?

Sorry, No Cup, no greatness, no praise. We have waited for this guy, now it is his turn to raise his game like real great goalies do.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Or the offense in front of them can overcome their very sub-par play, see Antii Niemi and MAF.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
All i want is the guy to win a cup and earn the praise and salary he gets....Why is that asking to much ? I have to kiss his Rask just because he won a Vezina and has spurts of greatness ?

Sorry, No Cup, no greatness, no praise. We have waited for this guy, now it is his turn to raise his game like real great goalies do.

I would bet every dollar I have that if Rask wins the Cup this year you will be nowhere to be found or you will be looking for some excuse why he still isn't great.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I have never seen a goalie come close to that performance (Quick actually did). He had one bad game. he gave up ONE goal in a four game sweep vs the Wild in the WCF
Yeah it was absolutely incredible, I was happy to see him get the cup eventually just because of that performance. It probably helped he was playing for the Mighty Ducks while I was in middle school but I was a huge Giguere fan for awhile.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
It isn't that simple. It's a team game. I don't know why it's so tough for you to understand. Your agenda is absurd.
Are you saying that goalies dont steal series or that goalies on inferior teams dont win ? Other then QB, Goal is the most influential position in sports.....Time for Tuukka to prove he is big time. Because he is not that now.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

No weaseling out. You said the goalie that wins is better. Winning is everything. So in the microcosm of a single game, your theory is that if Rask gives up 4 softies and the offense picks him up, he is "great". You can eat your own words now.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I would bet every dollar I have that if Rask wins the Cup this year you will be nowhere to be found or you will be looking for some excuse why he still isn't great.
I will be the HAPPIEST GUY AROUND and will PRAISE him the rest of his career.....Because he did it and nobody can take it away......Are you kidding me ?........I will be right here. Let him show me.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
No weaseling out. You said the goalie that wins is better. Winning is everything. So in the microcosm of a single game, your theory is that if Rask gives up 4 softies and the offense picks him up, he is "great". You can eat your own words now.

I'd like to see what he thinks about a goalie coming in to replace the starter late in a game and earning the win.

Reactions: jgatie

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I will eat them when RASK holds the cup over his head. One that he earned. I will be glad to be wrong.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Are you saying that goalies dont steal series or that goalies on inferior teams dont win ? Other then QB, Goal is the most influential position in sports.....Time for Tuukka to prove he is big time. Because he is not that now.

Are you saying goalies never suck in the playoffs, but are picked up by a high scoring offense? You telling me you would say Tuukka was "great" if he posted a .910sp 2.63ga as long as he won a Cup? Yeah, and then pigs would fly. :laugh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I will eat them when RASK holds the cup over his head. One that he earned. I will be glad to be wrong.

Even if he posts a .910sp and a 2.63ga? It will be pretty funny to hear you criticize every game he puts up those awful numbers and then all of a sudden he's "great" because . . . uhhh . . . he "earned" a Cup!!!

By the way, where have I seen the random CAPITALIZATION of names before? :sarcasm:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He lost in 2013
He lost VS Montreal
He lost vs Ottowa
.....................................................Why is it he always has lost ? Sorry Lou, but if you want to be considered one of the best, you have to WIN.

Team sport. He did enough to win all of those series. Hasek didn't win until that super Red Wing 80 million dollar payroll team.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Are you saying goalies never suck in the playoffs, but are picked up by a high scoring offense? You telling me you would say Tuukka was "great" if he posted a .910sp 2.63ga as long as he won a Cup? Yeah, and then pigs would fly. :laugh:
Get it through your head, The numbers do not count. I dont care what they are. You win the games by letting in less then the other goalie and you steal some games. Thats what wins cups.

I do not dis like Rask. I simply question his mental makeup in being able to win the cup and have the mental toughness needed. I see nothing wrong with that based on his career. That's just the way it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad