GDT: Game 67: Colorado Avalanche @ Columbus Blue Jackets - Black and Blue - 5PM

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Avs just posted on FB that Jost is taking Landy's spot on the top line.... HFAvs get their wish at last.:ha:

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
Any announcement on who's starting in goal tonight. I'm assuming Varly?

I've got both Avs goalers on my fantasy team, but I can only start one.....don't laugh.

Reactions: cgf

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
But I want to see sodaskog if Landy is pulled off the top line

Yeah, me too. It looks like they are definitely searching for something that will work on the road, so maybe they end up defaulting to that later on the game

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm really not down with calling a OT loss at Chicago a debacle ...

And it looks like Varly is starting tonight - 72nd start in a row or so.

It's frustrating to watch them play a slow, uninspired game when we know they can play better, especially when they're up against a weakened Chicago lineup with nothing to play for and sporting a guy in net who was probably around 4th on the depth chart when the season started. I think "debacle" applies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm actually happy with the line change. I think MacK and Rants can do most of the heavy lifting and let Jost play behind the net and pick retrieve. I like Landy with Comfoot too. Hoping that they are able to find some chemistry and make some things happen. We need to be harder to play against on the road.

I think the biggest issue is timing right now. One or two losses from poor chemistry could be the difference between making the postseason.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I think the biggest issue is timing right now. One or two losses from poor chemistry could be the difference between making the postseason.

Yeah, but one or two losses can also come from failing to adjust.

Reactions: cgf

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
After a frustrating game last time out, my blood is no longer boiling. I may not love Bednar’s system, especially in the D-zone, but I do like the penalty kill he rolls out. I’m off the fire Bednar train, sorry for getting carried away folks.

Gotta channel positive energy - we’re in a playoff race after all. Hoping for a good performance tonight.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, but one or two losses can also come from failing to adjust.

Ya I agree 100%, it's a tough decision. Bednar never got a chance at any other point in the season to test out other combinations and it's clear that the Avs are a different team on the road.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I think a lot of you forgot where we came from. Calling a OT loss on the road to ANY team in the NHL a debacle is hilarious concidering we were the worst team in 2 decades 12 month ago. I predict a meltdown if the Avs actually manage to MISS the Playoffs ... how dare they! But then again who am i to judge.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think a lot of you forgot where we came from. Calling a OT loss on the road to ANY team in the NHL a debacle is hilarious concidering we were the worst team in 2 decades 12 month ago. I predict a meltdown if the Avs actually manage to MISS the Playoffs ... how dare they! But then again who am i to judge.
Yeah, it would be hysterical if this board went off the deep end because we just missed the playoffs after everybody and their uncle predicted we finish bottom three this year.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

I expect the meltdown if we make the playoffs, then get swept in the first round. "Should've tanked for Dahlin!"

Yeah, it would be hysterical if this board went off the deep end because we just missed the playoffs after everybody and their uncle predicted we finish bottom three this year.

Again, if we barely miss, it'll be "Should've tanked for Dahlin!"

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Landeskog can help balance out our depth scoring and provide someone to help Kerfoot and Compher physically. Rantanen and Mackinnon are fine on their own but I don't see what the issue with spreading out our two best wingers on desperate lines in our top six. Could go wrong but this seems far from a huge issue and if we lose it will most likely be due to other reasons anyways.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Perspective is really important. This team is playing so much better than last season it's ridiculous. Even if we miss the playoffs it was a good test of will power compared to last season where we just crumbled under any amount of pressure.

Our core is young and honestly I'm excited for the way they've progressed and learned to be more even keel. If we keep taking steps like this the next few seasons we could really build something special.

Reactions: McMetal

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Have we considered that our lackluster road performances are a coaching issue rather than a player one? Seems to me that Bednar gets outmaneuvered every time he doesn't have the chance to dictate the matchups.

Reactions: McMetal

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Have we considered that our lackluster road performances are a coaching issue rather than a player one? Seems to me that Bednar gets outmaneuvered every time he doesn't have the chance to dictate the matchups.

I tend to think it is more of a personnel issue. He doesn't have many options if he breaks up that first line and we don't have much in the way of secondary scoring.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
What can you do if you're Bednar? He's got 1 scoring line, 2 shutdown lines, and a rookie line that is learning the ropes. Once we hit the road the other teams just send their best shutdown guys to literally latch onto MacKinnon all night. That's where we need secondary scoring to at least give other teams a little bit of trouble.

Bednar shuffling lines for road games is the best he can do until he gets some decent auxilliary scoring to back up the main unit.

Reactions: 5280

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think it’s a little bit of both. Definitely a lack of depth, but I’m still not overly confident in Bednar out coaching other coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00