GDT: Game 6: Red Wings at hawks 7:00 pm et 10/24/21 (BSD, NHLN)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
At some point people are gonna have to stop blaming Zadina's linemates and realize he just isn't as good as we hoped he'll be.

That line needs to be blown up, Blash blender for every line except the top line.

We’ve seen him gel with some players over time. I think it’s on him to simplify his game in order to play at a quicker pace. You don’t have to be super fleet of foot to play with Larkin, but you can’t slow the puck down. Raymond excels at keeping the puck moving fast and with purpose whereas Zadina tries to slow the game down too much.

I want him to not feel the need to set everything up. Don’t gather yourself to shoot…not every shot is going to have perfect body positioning and mechanics. Not every pass needs to have the defense manipulated to create a passing lane. Sometimes it will be the best play, but just get more pucks on net and keep your roadrunner linemates buzzing around.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Tyler Bertuzzi is tied for 4th in the league in points only trailing the Oilers duo and Ovie. 1st in even strength points, 1st in +/-, tied for 1st in goals, among the top 10 scorers in the league is averaging the least amount of ice time per game.

It's great to see! But he definitely won't keep up that pace. I could see him finishing around 60-65 points with the games he misses

Reactions: Sentinel

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Gonna be interesting when Vrana gets back. Will he have to anchor his own line or have Raymond move down to the 2nd line?
Vrana, Larkin, Raymond when in Canada. That's settled.

When Bert is around? I feel like Larkin and Bertuzzi are a thing.

Vrana, you got him to be on the first line, but yeah, how do you move Raymond? The good part is it's not a decision we have to make for over three months. At that point, you could let Raymond and Vrana play for it if it's an issue. But maybe Larkin will just be say no, I want Raymond up with me, after playing together all season.

Reactions: jkutswings

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
We’ve seen him gel with some players over time. I think it’s on him to simplify his game in order to play at a quicker pace. You don’t have to be super fleet of foot to play with Larkin, but you can’t slow the puck down. Raymond excels at keeping the puck moving fast and with purpose whereas Zadina tries to slow the game down too much.

I want him to not feel the need to set everything up. Don’t gather yourself to shoot…not every shot is going to have perfect body positioning and mechanics. Not every pass needs to have the defense manipulated to create a passing lane. Sometimes it will be the best play, but just get more pucks on net and keep your roadrunner linemates buzzing around.
I remember that being a theme for the whole team last season. Everyone that got the puck seemed to have no idea what to do with it when they got it. Gather it in, look at options, set up to pass, get stripped by the defender, chase on the backcheck. As a team, we seem to have a much better tempo this season but I agree with what you've noticed with Zadina.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I remember that being a theme for the whole team last season. Everyone that got the puck seemed to have no idea what to do with it when they got it. Gather it in, look at options, set up to pass, get stripped by the defender, chase on the backcheck. As a team, we seem to have a much better tempo this season but I agree with what you've noticed with Zadina.

Today was exceptionally disappointing to see him try some of those cross ice passes. I only say it’s disappointed because I could see clearly what he was doing and had at least a full 1 or 2 seconds before he executed the pass. And naturally most were cut off by a defender.

When we’ve seen this Tanguay powerplay look dangerous, it’s with the no nonsense passing. Ripping it around the zone. One touch and gone. Need Zadina to fit in that. It’ll make his shot more dangerous, and less plays dying leaving his stick.

That’s honestly my goal for Zadina. Try to have zero plays die on his stick or leaving his stick without a positive impact on the game. If it isn’t a connected pass, a quality shot on goal, or a dangerous look that just didn’t connect, then I don’t want it.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
At some point people are gonna have to stop blaming Zadina's linemates and realize he just isn't as good as we hoped he'll be.

That line needs to be blown up, Blash blender for every line except the top line.
I don’t think anyone Is saying zadina is what we thought he is, we know he isn’t as good as we thought. But his line mates are still playing like trash regardless and not helping him. Suter has done nothing, completely invisible when he plays.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Gonna be interesting when Vrana gets back. Will he have to anchor his own line or have Raymond move down to the 2nd line?

If that line hasn't cooled down Vrana is going to have to anchor his own line like the end of last year when Larkin and Bertuzzi were injured.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don’t think anyone Is saying zadina is what we thought he is, we know he isn’t as good as we thought. But his line mates are still playing like trash regardless and not helping him. Suter has done nothing, completely invisible when he plays.
Agreed that Suter is on a completely different page than everyone else. But if Zadina doesn't play well with Larkin, Fabbri, or Suter then who should he play with?

Regardless of your answer, I stick with my statement that the second line needs to be blown up.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
LMAO using "on pace for" already. Bertuzzi is on pace to break Gretzky's record for most goals in an NHL season.
And yet we're acting like Raymond is the guy who "fixed" Larkin, lol.

This team looks like a completely different team with and without Bert. Let's see how long he can keep this going.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's great to see! But he definitely won't keep up that pace. I could see him finishing around 60-65 points with the games he misses

That would be a hell of a f***ing season for Bert. I think he'd struggle to hit 60 even if he wasn't missing 12% of the games.

He will inevitably cool off. I'm not down on the guy... but 60 points would be a 25% increase on his best season and if we're thinking he stays 100% healthy all year (not likely), he's capping out at ~72 games. That'll be a very tall order for him to hit 60.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And yet we're acting like Raymond is the guy who "fixed" Larkin, lol.

This team looks like a completely different team with and without Bert. Let's see how long he can keep this going.

Slow down with that. It was literally one game where they got absolutely zilch in the way of puck luck. Against Montreal, they'd skate around and then the pass would hit a skate or go wide or something. People need to not read into one dogshit game and act like Tyler Bertuzzi has suddenly become the maestro of great hockey. The Wings were in that game... got hit with three penalties kinda back to back and Montreal just smacked them in the mouth and they didn't recover.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
I don't know what ya'll expected from Zadina, but he's got 3 points in 6 games. That's exactly where I've had him pegged for the year. A 10-15 goal, 30-40 point guy at his peak.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Slow down with that. It was literally one game where they got absolutely zilch in the way of puck luck. Against Montreal, they'd skate around and then the pass would hit a skate or go wide or something. People need to not read into one dogshit game and act like Tyler Bertuzzi has suddenly become the maestro of great hockey. The Wings were in that game... got hit with three penalties kinda back to back and Montreal just smacked them in the mouth and they didn't recover.
Yeah, I watched them basically give up after it was 3-1. That's the issue though, we need more players like Larkin and Bert who never give up. They both had a crap game against Calgary, but that was the only game they've been held pointless in. Those are the types of players that make for a winning team.

I like Razor, but he's still gotta add some bulk. He got abused last night. I am impressed that he's willing to go to the hard areas despite the abuse he knows he's gonna take. Completely mugged after the second goal tonight, then Larkin lands on him too.

But in any case, a team needs 3 first liners so Bert is obviously a necessity.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
That would be a hell of a f***ing season for Bert. I think he'd struggle to hit 60 even if he wasn't missing 12% of the games.

He will inevitably cool off. I'm not down on the guy... but 60 points would be a 25% increase on his best season and if we're thinking he stays 100% healthy all year (not likely), he's capping out at ~72 games. That'll be a very tall order for him to hit 60.

I know he will cool down, but given his linemates this season, and the way he has been playing, do not think 60 points in 72 games is a big stretch

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This game is awesome. I’ve started 3 “Let’s go Red Wings” chants in section 320, Hawks fans want to fight me, and I’m gonna buy another beer. Let’s gooooooo!!

I did ratchet it up in the 3rd and, I think, did about 5 more "Let's go Red Wings" chants. Hawks fans weren't that bad actually. I mean, I definitely got cursed at. But I think they were pretty resigned to their team's utter mediocrity by that point :laugh:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
(I only had 3 beers, for anyone worried about me. At the game. Plus 4 beforehand at a bomb ass bacon and beer joint, and 3 more afterward at the classic Billy Goat. And now 1 more while my wife takes the dog to the emergency vet because he ate my 3yo's raisins she left out. All in all a pretty light Sunday hockey game for me. Go Wings.)

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I'm buzzing. So. Some notes.....

DDK.... oof. He's worse in person than on TV right now. I mostly feel bad because I think he could fill a bottom-pairing role semi-adequately. But as a top-4 he's getting brutalized. Because he absolutely sucks as a top-4 (no news there). Staal is simply better, and while he also, in a vacuum, shouldn't be used as a top-4, I can't figure out why he's used in a smaller role than DDK.

Zadina.... man. I just want so badly to be about this kid. But so much of the criticism is true. There is still time. But where I used to think this was a guy where the offense could run through him, he's clearly more complementary than I thought when we picked him. Too many plays die with him. Simply-put, the decision-making is limiting his upside. He can still have value. But it's difficult to see him as a play driver.

Hronek..... two games in a row?? What the heck is going on?

Seider.... just sick. I'm here to continue the hype. I couldn't be more excited about this kid, and it was a pleasure watching him in person.

Raymond.... ya'll saw the same as I did. In this case, I don't think the in-person viewing added much to the TV viewing. The legend grows.

Hawks fans HATE their coach right now. Even the ushers were trolling him as they came around after the game ended. For as much as we Wings fans gripe about Blashill, the Colliton hate I heard was another level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad